The Last Homely Site on the Web

I finally did it.

Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 32 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 »
Wilma
Post subject: I finally did it.
Posted: Sun 01 Mar , 2009 9:12 pm
Takoyaki is love

Well after years and years (decades even) of being afraid, :peek: I finally went ahead and did it. It only hurt a little. I got my ears pierced!!!!!

I got these little gold studs. I have never had anything pirced before. My mother tried to get mine and my litlle sisters ears done when we were 5 but I was too scared and ran away from the lady in Sears (I still remember). My older sis got me a gift card to pay for it for my Birthday and I finally used it after being a little chicken. I even had to get 2 girls to do it simultaneously in case I chickened out after getting one ear done. I now have 8 weeks and lot of ear cleaning solution and then I can wear any set of earrings I want. Yay!!! :D Now I have to find what can match the outfits I already have.

Itoshiki Sensei from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Avatar by: sparklessence

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Post subject: Re: I finally did it.
Posted: Sun 01 Mar , 2009 9:27 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

:D
What's next on the list? :devil:
It's funny how these little steps in our lives mean so much to us.

We want pics when you get to wear the ear-rings of course.

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Posted: Sun 01 Mar , 2009 10:05 pm
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

Way to go!

Got mine done at seven years old, and felt ancient. Not sure if piercing baby ears starts even earlier now, like in the womb, but I sure was late to the game at my school. Have let so many of the holes grow over through the years, but have been trying to keep at least studs in them now, if not big dangly earrings. They really are pretty. It's a fun bod mod to take care of. Well, my only bod mod thus far, but whether I got my ear lobes done or the cartilage up top, it wasn't a bad experience (depends on the piercer and type of stud, though, I think).

Go nuts on the earring purchases. You are required to imo.

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Dawnnamira
Posted: Sun 01 Mar , 2009 10:56 pm

Yes, you really are.

I got mine pierced two (?) years ago? And damn, I have so many earrings now.

It's fun. :D I really love having them.

How strange it is to be anything at all

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Posted: Sun 01 Mar , 2009 11:47 pm
bioalchemist

I got mine pierced when I was 12. I don't wear earrings much anymore though. I put them in when I'm dressing up and then I spend the next couple of days dealing with an inevitable bad reaction around the piercing site. :roll:

I always feel sort of elegant when I'm wearing them, like I have to be careful. And, I guess, compared to my usual approach, I do...

"He attacks. And here I can kill him. But I don't. That's the answer to world peace, people."
-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Mon 02 Mar , 2009 3:07 am
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

Yay, Wilma! I'm glad you did it! :toast: Buying earrings is fun. :)

I have two holes in each earlobe and one in the cartilage. In November, I got a third hole in each earlobe. However, recently, I got tired of dealing with the constant pain and infections. I have a hard time with that sort of thing, having sensitive skin. I figured what I had was enough, and it was OKAY for me to give up on the third holes. ( :roll: It was hard for me, because I hate giving up.) They seem to be healing up rather well.

Anyway, I love the other piercings and, as long as I'm careful with what kind of earrings I get, I don't have any problems.

My favorite pair of earrings are ones that Hwesta on TORC made. They are surgical steel--my favorite choice besides gold--and have Celtic knots on them. I lost one of them once in Gatlinburg, TN. We were in a small toy store, and I took my hat off. The earring disappeared. :( We looked everywhere and couldn't find it. Even the shop owner helped us look. Finally, we gave up, but I left my name and number in case she ever found it.

I figured that was the end of my favorite earrings. :( Several months later I got a call from some woman with a strong Southern accent. It was the shop owner, and she had found my earring! :shock: She mailed it back to me, and I had my favorite pair of earrings back! :)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Lidless
Posted: Mon 02 Mar , 2009 7:48 am
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

I read the title and thought Wilma had posted it in the wrong forum. There I was hoping it was a small prick so it wouldn't hurt too much the first time.

I wasn't far off.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
elfshadow
Posted: Mon 02 Mar , 2009 2:34 pm
Kill the headlights and put it in neutral

I had my ears pierced for the first time when I was 11, and then I had a second hole in each ear put in when I was 18. I might have a third hole put in, but that will probably be the end for me as far as piercings go. But I just got my first tattoo a week ago and I already want another one. :D

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Mon 02 Mar , 2009 3:48 pm

The thought of deliberately creating an injury and not allowing it to heal properly creeps me out.

That said, my daughters begged me so much to get their ears pierced that I eventually let them when they were young teens. I'd read, though, that the gizmos they use in most places can't be cleaned properly, so I took them to a tatoo parlor and had it done there, after they'd assured me on the phone that their tools were autoclaved between uses.

My youngest daughter fainted when they pierced her ear. I've never seen anyone actually faint before. She just kind of went limp and started to slide off the barber style chair they had her on. There was a moment of drama while they kept her from falling to the floor. She woke up after just a few seconds, very confused.

All in all, the experience did not soften my attitude towards the procedure.

But, to each their own. Have fun with the earrings, Wilma.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dawnnamira
Posted: Mon 02 Mar , 2009 3:51 pm

I was very nervous about it (I loathe needles, except for sewing and crossstitching, lol) but it was quick and I didn't actually feel the piercing.

I almost got my second pair this weekend....I wimped out though, mostly because I didn't feel like dealing with the possibility of an infection right now. I had a couple infections with my first pair even though I followed the instructions to the letter. :Q

How are they doing Wilma?

How strange it is to be anything at all

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Posted: Mon 02 Mar , 2009 4:32 pm
Hasta la victoria, siempre

I figure some people are a lot more sensitive to different metals than others. I get the feeling it contributes to irritation more often than you might realise. I'm fine with any kind of crappy metal, but I have a pair of wooden earrings that it really hurts to wear.

I begged my mum to let me get my ears pierced from almost the moment I could talk. She told me to shut up about it for a year and then see how I felt, and I felt the same - so just before my fifth birthday she took me to get them done at a local piercing studio. :) I'm aware now that it might have looked a little tacky - such a little girl with earrings - you'd usually assume that pushy parents were responsible - but I really, really loved them. I had them done with plain gold studs, but my favourite pair after that were a little gold pair of puppies. :love:

I might be getting a second set of piercings for a costume I'm hoping to do at the end of the summer. If I do it, I'll probably let them heal up after that. It's just... if my girlfriend is willing to get a mohican for her costume, a freakin' real one, I think dying my hair and repiercing my ears is the least I can do. :P

-Pips-

Avatar is a male me, drawn by a very close friend. Just don't ask why.

Profile Quote
Rebecca
Posted: Mon 02 Mar , 2009 5:52 pm

I think I was 8 years old when I got my ears pierced. My mom says that from the look on my face it was obvious I didn't think it was going to hurt. :P I can usually get away with wearing pretty much any kind of earring without them irritating my ears. A good while back I quit wearing earrings for about 2 years or so and the holes never closed up. Every now and then I'll get bored and not wear them for a few weeks or months and they've never closed up or anything. :)

Have fun picking out new earrings, Wilma.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Eruname
Posted: Mon 02 Mar , 2009 7:36 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

I'm one of those who can't just wear any earings. My ears will get terribly itchy with some of them.

I didn't get my ears pierced until I was 12 or 14...can't remember precisely. I do remember that I bugged and bugged my mom but she didn't think I was responsible enough (what the hell gave her that idea, I really don't know...maybe it was just an excuse). Had to do the same with contacts which didn't happen until I was 16.

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Posted: Mon 02 Mar , 2009 8:00 pm
bioalchemist

Earrings went down without a fight. Contacts, OTOH, were a mighty battle. I'm not sure where the resistance came from; maybe they thought I wouldn't be able to handle them properly or I would end up not wearing them or it was just the expense. But eventually they let me try and I've been wearing contacts full time without issues for almost 15 years now.

"He attacks. And here I can kill him. But I don't. That's the answer to world peace, people."
-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Posted: Mon 02 Mar , 2009 11:13 pm

Earrings were no problem, once she was convinced I wasn't acting on a whim. I'm sure contacts would have been fine, if I'd needed vision correction.

Tampons, on the other hand... :shrug:

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Posted: Mon 02 Mar , 2009 11:46 pm
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

^ I was gonna say something about that after Lidless' post. It's a pretty thin point though, so don't anyone get worked up about it. ;)

Piercings are fine for me, and I would try tattoos if I could decide on a design and spot to put it, but I'd prefer staying as far away from contacts as possible. Something about sticking something in you like that, grosses me out. Like tampons rofl. Obviously you'd just get used to them same as you'd get used to the hardware in your earlobe or whatever, but I don't know. They seem more long term than the initial pinch that comes from a piercing. Contacts, you'd have to put in every day. I would get annoyed fudging around with that. You can keep earrings in as long as you want, sure, but it's never like when the gun first goes through, or any infections you get right afterwards. So it's always seemed like a one-time thing to me. Unlike contact and tampons. And tattoos.

Okay, enough of that. :P

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
laureanna
Posted: Tue 03 Mar , 2009 12:29 am
Triathlete

I got my ears pierced at 16. They itched and oozed and reddened and puffed up for years, no matter what kind of metal I tried, so I finally gave up on them and they immediately closed up. I could still get pus out of them, if I squeezed, for about 10 years after that. They seem to have finally cooled off now. Maybe I'll get them re-pierced one of these days.

Well, I'm back.

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Posted: Tue 03 Mar , 2009 12:30 am

Oh, that sounds horrible! :Q I wouldn't go to the trouble of re-piercing them if it had been that awful before!

-Pips-

Profile Quote
Eruname
Posted: Tue 03 Mar , 2009 1:17 am
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

Yeah, I'd stick with some clip on earrings! :Q

My mom had no issues with tampons. Shaving my legs was one thing she resisted a bit. But I was being teased about the dark hair on my legs when I was in 4th grade (10 years old) and I went ahead and did it without her permission. She wasn't too mad luckily...I guess she understood I didn't want to be teased anymore.

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Posted: Tue 03 Mar , 2009 1:26 am

Ah, it wasn't a 'maturity' issue with my mum or anything, but she'd been a nurse, and she said she didn't want me to risk getting toxic shock syndrome. Even now, when I'm having bad periods, it doesn't occur to me to buy tampons. They're contraband! :LMAO:

Also, I second Tosh's suggestion - pics please! :D

-Pips-

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 32 posts ]
Return to “The Turf” | Jump to page 1 2 »
Jump to: