board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Re-starting an old hobby: Tips on reading music

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]
Wilma
Post subject: Re-starting an old hobby: Tips on reading music
Posted: Fri 13 Mar , 2009 6:02 am
Takoyaki is love

So after procrastination and excuses on playing my violin, my old violin teacher has convinced me to play for this reunion he is doing. He wants me to play viola which I used to do in the past. The thing is, the viola exclusively uses the alto clef, which umm.. I forgot how to read :roll: :oops: . Anyone know of any good sayings to remember the notes? I still remember the ones for treble and bass clef (like every good boy deserves fudge, etc..), but for the alto clef I am at a loss.
I am trying to remember the viola fingerings and matching them with notes and I am bit confused as to what is sharp and what is flat but I think it will come back to me eventually. I have printed wikipedia articles and it has helped me remember the extreme basics but that is about it. I think I am going to ask my teacher if I can get him on Skype and he can listen and see how I am doing.

I just realized I need some scales. :doh1: Anyone know a good site on scales? It sort of gets my mind set for when I play a piece. :help: I just tried tuning the viola and it sounds a bit abysmal (tuning was always my greatest weakness)

I should point out the reason I am doing the reunion is because I want to get playing again but I have realized I either need a teacher or an orchestra so I always get new music to work on, because me on my own... not so much.
:help:

*crossposted on HOF*
BTW my Skype name is ladyscaper if anyone wants to look me up. (or listen to my abysmal tuning an give some advice.)

Itoshiki Sensei from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Avatar by: sparklessence

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Impenitent
Post subject: Re: Re-starting an old hobby: Tips on reading music
Posted: Fri 13 Mar , 2009 12:21 pm
Try to stay perky

Oh wilma, I can't help at all as I learned piano and know nothing about strings (can't even help my son much with his guitar) but I wanted to applaud your decision and say bravo!

[ img ]

"Believe me, every heart has its secret sorrows, which the world knows not;
and oftentimes we call a man cold when he is only sad." ~Robert C. Savage

Profile Quote
Eruname
Posted: Fri 13 Mar , 2009 5:30 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

Wilma, you need to ask your teacher if he has a beginner's book you can borrow...and when I mean beginner, I mean beginner. It will list out the fingers of basic notes and will have really simple songs you can play which will help you learn to read alto clef. Your teacher should also have some scales put together for you. Any music teacher should have that readily available.

Aside from the C string, the fingerings for notes shouldn't be different from violin. Just remember to think in whole or half steps and that should help you realise where to place your fingers.

As for tuning, you always tune the A string first. You'll need a tuner for that. Then you bow the D and A string together (then D and G and lastly G and C). If the two pitches sound wavy or like they're vibrating then they aren't in tune. If they sound smooth together, that's in tune.

Honestly, most of your questions are ones that could be easily answered by someone who is right there next to you but are going to be very difficult to answer by typed word.

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Posted: Fri 13 Mar , 2009 6:18 pm
bioalchemist

On the alto clef, the middle line is the middle C on the piano (third finger, 1st position on the G string). The bottom space is the open G; the space above the middle line is the open D. Open A is right above the top line. Open C is directly beneath the first ledger line below the the bottom.

A very basic beginner's music book is going to have the fingerings, but they're essentially the same as for a violin, you just have to space your fingers a bit differently because it's a bigger instrument and the strings are longer.

Does your instrument have fine tuners? Those can help a lot, unless you string yours up with natural gut-cored strings. When I was playing, I had gut-cored C, G, and D strings because that sounded best on my viola, but for some technical reason I couldn't use fine tuners with them so I had to do it all with the pegs. This could get very annoying very fast, especially when the strings were new or the weather changing. But the A at least had a fine tuner.

"He attacks. And here I can kill him. But I don't. That's the answer to world peace, people."
-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
Wilma
Posted: Sat 14 Mar , 2009 4:00 pm
Takoyaki is love

Thanks for the help in tuning Eru. I am actually in a different town altogether from my teacher, it's a 2 hour ride by train. So I actually do not have easy access to my teacher to get help. That I why I asked here. I will email him though and see if I can get him through Skype.

River, I do have fine tuners on all the strings thank God.

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Wilma
Posted: Sat 09 May , 2009 4:47 am
Takoyaki is love

I came from rehearsal. Oh dear. Doing an orchestra just after exams not such a good idea. But my teacher is understanding. He even gave me a hug and gave a couple of his really expensive strings. Tonight I am going to try and do a little practicing. (My bridge collapsed so I couldn't practice but it is all fixed now.) I also have to hunt down my outfit that I want to wear for the concert.
I am really glad I am doing it though and I realize why in part playing was so relaxing for me. I definitely want to do more.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
jewelsong
Posted: Sat 09 May , 2009 8:51 am
Just keep singin'!

Wilma, I just wanted to say good for you for picking this up again! It's amazing fast fast you lose your "chops" on an instrument...but I think you will find that with regular practice, it will all come back to you! Including reading the alto clef!

Just keep at it - don't get discouraged and soon you'll be playing well again! :D :D :D

The viola is a beautiful instrument and not commonly played anymore!

Profile Quote
Lidless
Posted: Sat 09 May , 2009 9:12 am
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

Isn't reading music easy? There's only seven letters in the alphabet. Pronunciation must be tricky though.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Crucifer
Posted: Sat 09 May , 2009 1:36 pm
A song outlasts a dynasty.

Quote:
Isn't reading music easy? There's only seven letters in the alphabet. Pronunciation must be tricky though.
21 actually... A-G and all the sharps and flats. (Which are pronounced differently. :neutral: )
My aural and keyboards skills lecturers makes us sing in tonic solfa or note names. Note names are difficult, cuz you have to remember that Ab is pronounced 'os', not 'Ass', which I forgot in a lecture on Wednesday... :oops:

Good luck with the viola studies, Wilma!

Sleep is a death; Oh, make me try by sleeping what it is to die.

Profile Quote
Wilma
Posted: Sun 10 May , 2009 2:27 am
Takoyaki is love

I actually didn't play the viola I played the violin. It would have taken too much time away from my classes to re-learn the alto clef. I told my teacher this and he offered me either first or second violin since he didn't want me to drop out of the concert. Treble clef came back to me really easy. Now the president of the association is trying to convince me to play for the summer to help out. (I am thinking about it.) Also it was the first time I got to try on new earrings too (I lost it later down the drain, but at least I got to wear it once. :shrug: . I have to stick with cheap 9 pack earring sets i think.)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]
Return to “The Turf”
Jump to: