board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Got hired in Wyoming for the summer!!

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]
Legolas the elf
Post subject: Got hired in Wyoming for the summer!!
Posted: Thu 26 Mar , 2009 2:21 am
Trudging the road of happy destiny...

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :D
[ img ]

Damn, I'm happy!!!! :D :love:

Talked to the guy today....hired on with the Forest Service at Bridger-Teton National Forest from May 10-August 15th to do some timber inventorying and hopefully some wildfire suppression.
Rent is $4 a day, in a "guard shack." :heya: :P (I think he said I'm gonna have to drive 30 miles to do laundry. :LMAO: That means middle of friggin' nowhere!! yes, that's a good thing)
It's near the little town of Big Piney, WY that sits in the valley at about 6,900 ft. elevation. So that means a coooooool summer out of the southeastern humidity!
There's a 13,000 mtn nearby that I plan on gettin' to the top of. And Yellowstone National park is close by.

Anyone live near Wyoming? :Wooper: :Wooper:

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Post subject: Re: Got hired in Wyoming for the summer!!
Posted: Thu 26 Mar , 2009 2:37 am
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

Wow. That sounds freakin' awesome! I'm so happy for you!

First Wyoming, then Finland. Your life is looking pretty exciting!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
BrianIsSmilingAtYou
Posted: Thu 26 Mar , 2009 4:14 am

Legolas the elf wrote:

Anyone live near Wyoming? :Wooper: :Wooper:
No. That's what keeps it so empty.

BrianIs :) AtYou

[ img ]

My niece, Humera, under a pumpkin leaf!

Profile Quote
Wilma
Posted: Thu 26 Mar , 2009 12:27 pm
Takoyaki is love

Congratulations Legolas!!!! Sounds like a fabulous opourtunity. Since you will be living in a shack umm, I guess there won't be any luxuries?

Itoshiki Sensei from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Avatar by: sparklessence

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
elfshadow
Posted: Thu 26 Mar , 2009 2:41 pm
Kill the headlights and put it in neutral

I know you'll enjoy Wyoming, despite its emptiness! :D It is a gorgeous state--very rugged and wild. Wyoming, to me, pretty much epitomizes the traditional conception of the American West. I've visited relatively often, since my grandparents own a house in a little tiny town called Elk Mountain. It's a few hours from where you'll be staying, more towards the center of the state. Right off of I-80.

Anyway, Wyoming's emptiness is one of the things I love about it. :love: Have a great time!!

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Posted: Thu 26 Mar , 2009 2:59 pm
Daydream Believer

I have friends in Pocotello Id and in Virginia City Mont., both 3 hours away.

Some of those passes don't get clear of snow except in June and July.

Other than that, I think you will love it. A lot.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
Eruname
Posted: Thu 26 Mar , 2009 5:18 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

Wow, that sounds fantastic Lego! I'd really like to visit Wyoming and then Montana one day. :)

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
Impenitent
Posted: Thu 26 Mar , 2009 11:40 pm
Try to stay perky

Lego, it's really great witnessing how your life is improving and coming together. :) You have really worked hard at pulling yourself up by your bootstraps. Well done and congratulations on scoring such a great job!

[ img ]

"Believe me, every heart has its secret sorrows, which the world knows not;
and oftentimes we call a man cold when he is only sad." ~Robert C. Savage

Profile Quote
Legolas the elf
Posted: Fri 27 Mar , 2009 12:54 am
Trudging the road of happy destiny...

I didn't realize Wyoming was so sparse, population-wise. So a part of America is not swarming with humans...woohoo.

Impie said:
Quote:
Lego, it's really great witnessing how your life is improving and coming together. :) You have really worked hard at pulling yourself up by your bootstraps. Well done and congratulations on scoring such a great job!
:hug: :)

Wilma, I talked to Dennis (my boss) today, and I asked him about the "guard shack." :P He said it has running water, shower, heat, kitchen. So, that's convenient....the only bad thing is 3 people share a room.....but w/ me being able to be getting paid $ to be in the mountains of Wyoming, I don't really mind that.

It's apparently cool there in summers. Big Piney, WY is called "the ice box of the nation" because it is a high elevation valley...the valley traps the cool air. Dennis said one summer the average high was 45 degrees F....that's 7 degree C for you metric people. Pretty dang cool. But I love cool weather....great for working outdoors. Besides, I've had enough of the Eastern US summer heat and humidity (for now).

Last edited by Legolas the elf on Fri 27 Mar , 2009 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Quote
BrianIsSmilingAtYou
Posted: Fri 27 Mar , 2009 1:06 am

Sounds great, lego.

The emptiness of such a place is very different than anything I have ever experienced. I don't know if I could do it, but it sounds like something neat to try.

BrianIs :) AtYou

[ img ]

My niece, Humera, under a pumpkin leaf!

Profile Quote
elfshadow
Posted: Fri 27 Mar , 2009 2:58 pm
Kill the headlights and put it in neutral

There are two kinds of emptiness out in the unpopulated West--the flat Plains and the mountains. They're very different, I think. I grew up with the mountains so I find flatness rather eerie. In the East there are trees everywhere so you don't notice it as much, but when I was in Florida I was always a little unnerved that everything was completely flat as far as the eye could see. Mountains are comforting. I've been to some pretty remote places in Colorado, but as long as it is in the mountains I feel perfectly at ease. The flat prairie is fine when it is warm and sunny, and when there are birds and flowers and everything is green. But when it's cold or cloudy I find the emptiness to be a bit creepy.

The two most frighteningly empty places I have been through are northern Nebraska and the San Luis Valley in Colorado. Northern Nebraska is all brown grass and rock, with a couple of ranches every now and then, but devoid of any and all personality. Once you get up to the plains of South Dakota or to the cornfields of central and Southern Nebraska everything is fine. But there's a stretch that just gives me the willies. The San Luis Valley is in south-central Colorado, surrounded by mountains, but completely and utterly flat. The land is dry and barren and sparsely populated. The clouds are normally pretty low because of the high elevation and it creates the sensation that you're being flattened. It's the sort of emptiness that makes you feel claustrophobic.

But, as I said, the mountains are great--so no need to worry, Lego. ;)

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Posted: Fri 27 Mar , 2009 3:42 pm
Daydream Believer

Nebraska is just weird all over, and it smells like cow poop.

I am about an hour plus away (west side) of the San Luis Valley, I always thought it was weird because one minute there are mountains and then....well flatness. And sand dunes.

I agree with Elsha here, the quite solitude of the mountains is wonderful, at least to me.

And from what I hear it is mostly cold in that part of Wyoming.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]
Return to “The Turf”
Jump to: