board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Who will take home Lord Stanley's Cup?

Post Reply   Page 4 of 5  [ 92 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject: Re: Who will take home Lord Stanley's Cup?
Posted: Thu 14 May , 2009 2:25 pm
Insolent Pup

Nice t.v. I have my 37 inch Vizio that I watch from. One day I will upgrade... that's really cool about Osgood. I've never heard the name of the other player, though. The closest I've ever come to hockey players was back in '92 or '93 I waited on a 3 hour line at Roosevelt Field Mall in Nassau County, Long Island for Mick Vukota's, Travis Green's, and my favorite at the time, Pierre Turgeon's autograph. Signed on an Islander puck, and encased in plastic. I've never opened it since.

When it comes to styles of hockey, I am and always have been a big fan of North American hockey. I like what the European style brings to the ice, and the finese is fantastic, but the blood thirsty side of me likes to see some hard hits, and a fight now and then. My absolute favorite fight in the playoffs came in the 01-02 Islanders/Maple Laffs series: Eric Cairns (Islanders) vs Shane Corson (Maple Laffs). Cairns and Corson go at it for a few, and then Cairns puts Corson away with a series of punches as both fall to the ice. Cairns tops it off by giving the crowd his pointer finger to say "I'm number 1." That was an awesome series; exciting until the end.

I'm definitely watching Detroit and Anaheim tonight. I know the fighting is uncharacteristic of Datsyuk which is why tonight's game 7 shouldn't disappoint like last night's. I don't care who wins because Chicago is in trouble either way if they don't fix Khabibulum and Huet.

Go B's!

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Thu 14 May , 2009 4:24 pm

Got to agree with you that either team who wins tonight beats Chicago unless some sort of miracle happens.

Thats a good story about your Islander puck in plastic. Those kind of things are neat to have.

Regarding the fighting: this is one of things where the league has done lots of research and polling and they find out two things that send a very opposite message. First, the hardcore longtime hockey fans likes it and accepts it as part of the game. Second, the casual fan, or even non fan, does not like it and it is one ofthe obstacles to the game branching out to more fans.

I am a lot older than you and remember a time when the NHL and the NBA were pretty much on a par in terms of appeal and revenue. Basketball expanded and grew in great leaps and bounds. Hockey expanded also, but never to the level of where basketball now is. I have always suspected the two things going against it were the small puck compared to the playing surface which just makes it hard to follow on most TV's and the fighting.

The one fight I remember as a kid involved Gordie Howe of the Wings and Eddie Shack of the Leafs. Howe either was suspended or hurt because of a dirty move by Shack and everybody marked the day on the calendar when Howe would return and the Leafs came into town. Sure enough, the minute Shack stepped onto the ice Howe went right to him and beat the crap out of him. And those were the Original Six days when the refs just surrounded them a few feet away and let them go at it.

Everybody talks about the Howe vs. Fontinato fight which also was started by Shack by this one was not that fight.
As a kid I found that fascinating.

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Fri 15 May , 2009 1:59 am

WINGS 4 -3 in more ways than one!!!!!!

:cheers:

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Fri 15 May , 2009 2:14 am
Insolent Pup

Congrats to your Wings. That was a good game. The Ducks are such a dirty team... mostly because of how dirty Pronger plays. He completely got away with that push on Hudler (?) that gave the Ducks a power play which Corey Perry scored on.

Bruins tied it up. Thank you, Milan Lucic! I will be quite disappointed if the only team I have to root for is Chicago.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Fri 15 May , 2009 3:17 am
Insolent Pup

sf, are you watching Canes/Bruins? This is quite an OT!

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Fri 15 May , 2009 3:23 am
Insolent Pup

Fuck. Pure and simple.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Fri 15 May , 2009 3:33 am
Insolent Pup

I suppose I lost on the bet.... the B's got eliminated.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
vison
Posted: Fri 15 May , 2009 4:50 am
Best friends forever

My goodness!

Speaking of Gary Bettman, may he freeze in hell, I hope he's enjoying his stupid little self. Why is that man running the NHL? He's running it into the ground, you know. Little weasel. :rage:

Living on Earth is expensive,
but it does include a free trip
around the sun every year.

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Fri 15 May , 2009 5:22 am
Insolent Pup

Bettman is getting on his high horse about not wrenching the Coyotes from the fans in Phoenix, but the NHL didn't move south until Bettman took over. I wonder about the outrage when so many northern markets lost their teams (Winnepeg, Hartford, Minnesota, Quebec).

vison, if Bettman would just leave, I'd like him to take his inconsistent, and muddled message sending disciplinarian buffoon, Rectum Campbell. His decisions on suspensions help to keep the NHL on the fringe.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Mon 18 May , 2009 1:31 pm

TED
I did not see that overtime of the Bruinsgame but I did see the highlight package. Sure wish I had seen it.

I see we geta rare Monday night playoff game tonight due to the Boss being in the arena tomorrow.

Wings looked terrible for the first twelve minutes yesterday but roared back in the third to win 5 -2. The Ducks were a far more physical team than the Hawks are but Chicago is deeper and has better skaters. The Ducks had better netminding also.

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Mon 18 May , 2009 10:03 pm
Insolent Pup

I fear for the Hawks goaltending. NHL.com had an article praising Khabibulum despite the loss. They spoke highly of how the Bulum wall stoned the Wing power play, and while that is all good... the Wings are excellent at even strength as well... so miniscule steps.

Tonight is Pens/Canes... oi.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Wed 20 May , 2009 2:44 am

WINGS 2- 0.

They deserved to lose after allowing that second goal. When you win the ones you should have lost, something is in your favor.

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Mon 25 May , 2009 3:38 pm
Insolent Pup

The Wings may have lost one, and looked unchampionlike in the second game, but in the fourth they demonstrated why they will win the series. Huet is not good enough, and I don't know who that backup for Chicago was, and why Huet came back. Chicago needs to address their goaltending over the summer.

Can the Hurricanes stave off elimination? Can the Hurricanes do what only two other hockey teams have ever done, and come back to win the series? The only other two have been the '67 Leafs, and the '75 Islanders.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Mon 25 May , 2009 7:49 pm

'Canes are done - stick a fork in them.

When you consider that the Wings won Game 4 without two of the best players in the league and did it so lopsided, it does not look good for Chicago. As you said TED, the Hawks goaltending is one huge question mark right now despite the two big salaries being paid.

Chicago just completely lost it in terms of mentally Sunday and that started with their coach right at the start of the game. Its like boys playing against men. Give it two or three years and Chicago will be on top but not this year.

Babcock may be the best head coach in sports right now.

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Sun 31 May , 2009 3:24 am

Wings win game one - and looked strong taking two out of three periods in the opener against Pittsburgh.

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Tue 02 Jun , 2009 3:47 am
Insolent Pup

The Pens are looking like their last year form. Wings should wrap this up by game 5... I'm sad to say.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Axordil
Posted: Tue 02 Jun , 2009 9:28 pm
Not so deep as a well

You know, they really shouldn't be allowed to play hockey after the last lake below the 50th parallel melts. :cheers:

Destiny is a rhythm track on which we must improvise.

In some cases, firing the drummer helps.

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Wed 03 Jun , 2009 6:17 am
Insolent Pup

Not sure where the 50th parallel is, but as long as that doesn't impact the Islanders on Long Island.... whatev.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Wed 03 Jun , 2009 2:32 pm

Lots of carping today in the Motor City about how we were robbed last night - six attackers nto being called and other stuff. However, the Wings did not really play well like they have a potential to play. I hope this inspires both Draper and Datysuk to return on Thursday night. Draper was ready to go last night but Babcock did not want to mess up winning chemistry. He will not have that excuse now.

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Fri 05 Jun , 2009 6:27 am
Insolent Pup

If the Pens keep this up, I won't have to wear a Wings sig.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 4 of 5  [ 92 posts ]
Return to “The Turf” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »
Jump to: