board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Who will take home Lord Stanley's Cup?

Post Reply   Page 3 of 5  [ 92 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject: Re: Who will take home Lord Stanley's Cup?
Posted: Thu 23 Apr , 2009 11:14 pm
Insolent Pup

This isn't the first time that talk of selling the Habs has come up. They won't move, though. Hopefully someone with some sense, and less sense of entitlement takes over.

I can help you with anything you need, sf.

Good game between Chicago and Calgary. I'm still pulling for Chicago, but Calgary has some fire to their Flame. If the Flames make it all the way... I think it would be only fitting if Eric Nystrom scored the cup clinching goal as his father did back in '80 for the Islanders.

I'm still pulling for the Bruins.

vison, congrats to Roberto, and his Canucks... St. Louis just couldn't play the game.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Feredir
Posted: Tue 28 Apr , 2009 2:35 pm

Looks like the Flames have crashed and burned!

Blackhawks eliminate Flames 4-1

vison
Posted: Tue 28 Apr , 2009 4:27 pm
Best friends forever

So the Canucks have to beat Chicago. I don't really follow hockey all that closely, so do not know how they have fared against Chicago in the past.

The only Canadian team left in the playoffs. :Q How are the mighty fallen. :(

Living on Earth is expensive,
but it does include a free trip
around the sun every year.

Profile Quote
TWT
Posted: Tue 28 Apr , 2009 5:33 pm
Wembley bound

Well I was happy to see Chicago go through last night. The Flames just didn't seem to have it in them at all since game 4. Will be interesting to see what happens with that team. The coach is usually fall guy #1 but I think they'll be looking closely at Sutter as well. I don't think Calgary have any intention of being satisfied with Mediocrity and the Flames haven't made it past round 1 in the playoffs with the exception of their run to game 7 of the finals since sometime in the 80's I think. They also have a lot of money tied up in 5 players there and the cap is almost certain to drop next year.

Sad to see San Jose burn out so quickly. Anaheim played them like the game was a penalty kill. They were man on man the whole game. San Jose just couldn't get going in the whole series. Interesting to see Getzlaf and Thornton square off following the opening faceoff!

Carolina/Jersey is my pick for first round borefest despite some interesting moments in the series. That being said I've always hated the Devils so why stop now? Go Canes!

And Go Caps tonight! I hope Rangers have lost their zip the same way Calgary lost theirs. I want to see Washington advance.

Profile Quote
Feredir
Posted: Tue 28 Apr , 2009 10:03 pm

GO Ducks!

TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Tue 28 Apr , 2009 10:07 pm
Insolent Pup

Canes and Devils is definitely no borefest. It has been a battle of the goaltenders except for the previous game. The games between these two have been what playoff hockey should be: hard-hitting.

I'm glad Chicago pulled it off. Vancouver should have its hands full with Chicago. Regardless of how these two squared off in the past, Chicago is young, and talented. Luongo better beware Jonathon Toews.

I'm sad that San Jose pulled off another playoff bust. Best in the regular season means nothing if you get trounced in the first round. Better luck never. Detroit may not have as easy a time as you may think with the Ducks. They've been on fire lately--Ryan Getzlaf is playing like a man possessed.

LET'S GO CAPITALS. Beat the whiny Raggies. Waah waah Sean Avery always gets penalized for being a douche. Tortorella isn't allowed to fight fans, waaah. Fuck you, MSG. My Rag hatred runs deep.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
TWT
Posted: Wed 29 Apr , 2009 4:34 pm
Wembley bound

I meant that Carolina/Jersey was my pick of series that I had no interest in. It did turn out to be quite a cracker especially in the later games.

The announcer kept saying that no one could have predicted what happened at the end of that Canes/Devils game last night, yet I called it about 5 minutes from time. I said, watch the Canes tie it up within the next couple minutes and then score another one quickly after, my bet was on Staal for the winner. I've seen enough hockey to guess when incredible pressure might result in a couple goals! :D And Jersey just weren't keeping it together.

I daresay that this Capitals/Penguins series has to be one of the more interesting series in the last few years. I'm really looking forward to this one!

I think Detroit should take Anaheim, in 6 games tops, but like I said before, Anaheim I think is the one team in the west that might just be able to stand up to the Wings. If they can just get some secondary scoring, Detroit's defense has been known to be sketchy at times, Ducks could just pull off another upset. Maybe the key is getting Selane going...

I think Vancouver will take Chigago in 6 or 7. I think Chicago will put up quite a fight. Their Defense isn't too bad and Vancouver have trouble scoring at the best of times. Key there might be Sundin having a good run to get the secondary guys going.

As for Boston/Carolina, I think its all goalies there! :D Ward vs. Thomas should be quite the battle.

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Fri 01 May , 2009 1:38 pm
Insolent Pup

Round 2 has begun. Canucks downed the Blackhawks so far. Tonight the West continues with the Ducks and the Wings, while the East begins with the Hurricanes and the Bruins. Go Bruins. Beware the Kessel-Savard-Lucic line.

I was so happy to see the Rangers go down in round 1, but I am disappointed that the officiating was so lopsided for that series. The Caps got away with a lot.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
vison
Posted: Fri 01 May , 2009 4:08 pm
Best friends forever

The Canucks, in their usual way, blew a 3 - 0 lead and wound up winning 4 - 3 in the last minutes of the third period. I tell you, these guys better wake up. The Hawks won't go easy.

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Sat 02 May , 2009 2:28 am

Game #1 - Wings 3- Ducks 2. Anaheim looked twice as good as Columbus looked at anytime in round one. The Wings did not play their strongest game by far but still won which is the mark of a great team.

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Sat 02 May , 2009 5:04 am
Insolent Pup

I saw the end of the third in both games. Not surprised that the B's rolled over Carolina, and also not surprised that the Wings beat the Ducks. Nice third goal, by the way. Perhaps we'll see an original six match-up come the Stanley Cup.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Feredir
Posted: Sun 03 May , 2009 11:20 pm

Go DUCKS!!! Triple OT and a sweet goal to end it.

freddy

vison
Posted: Mon 04 May , 2009 12:55 am
Best friends forever

So the Canucks played true to form and blew a 2 - 0 lead to lose 5 - 3.

Well, they will now win 3 straight.

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Mon 04 May , 2009 1:29 am
Insolent Pup

6-3 actually. That is two games where the Canucks blew big leads. That isn't good.

Great game between the Ducks and the Wings... 3 OTs... nice.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Mon 04 May , 2009 3:03 pm

great games have great endings...... the Wings have to get more offense out of their top stars ... and that was woefully lacking on Sunday

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Fri 08 May , 2009 1:45 pm

Fell asleep trying to stay up for the west coast game last night but see that the Wings won pretty easilly. That sunday night game should be terrific and could very well decide who wins this series.

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Tue 12 May , 2009 7:46 pm
Insolent Pup

Caps are going to another game 7. This series is the best of the playoffs so far. Three games have gone to OT, and the rest have been close; that is what playoff hockey should look like.

Bye bye Canucks... no cup for Canada this year. The last time a Canadian team won the Mug was '93... I thought Calgary had the potential this year, but we all know how that went... Chicago turned into Canadian Killers.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Wed 13 May , 2009 4:46 am
Insolent Pup

sf, did you imagine that the Ducks would be the first team to force a game 7 for Detroit in 7 years? Next game is going to be feisty. Did you see the end of tonight's game? Even Pavel Datsyuk got into a scrum/fight.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Thu 14 May , 2009 1:49 pm
Insolent Pup

WTF Crapitals? Way to not show up to game 7. I rescind the title of most exciting series. Damn Penguins. At least the Bruins are still in it. Please show up for game 7 tonight. If the Bruins lose, the only team I have to root for is Chicago, and their goaltending sucks.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Thu 14 May , 2009 1:56 pm

TED ... the series has been a good one and like lots of seven game series, the tempers are rising and fights seem to be increasing too. When Pavel gets involved you know its getting bad out there.

Yes, I did see the end of game 6 on the highlights package --- thank my lucky stars that this game starts at a decent hour so I can see every minute of it. It should be great.

Did I mention that Wings goalie Chris Osgood lives about 1 mile down the street from me? I have never met him but run past his house every day. When I first moved in to the neighborhood in the 80's the Wings had a player named John Ogrodknik (sp?) who lived on my same block about nine houses down. Its a small world I guess.

I hope tonights game is clean and well played. I like the European form of hockey more than the traditional NHL - big ice and lots of free skating - and the Wings seem to have adopted much of that style at the same time as the league is cracking down on the fighting.

The Ducks goalie Jonas Hiller has been fantastic for the most part. I think the key to tonights game is Hiller for the Ducks and Holmstrom for the Wings. Homer needs to jam up the front of that goal to open things up for shots to get by Hiller. And that has not happend too much in this series.

I have a nice 65 inch Mitsubishi and its on HD tonight - come on over. :cool:

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 3 of 5  [ 92 posts ]
Return to “The Turf” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5 »
Jump to: