board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Who will take home Lord Stanley's Cup?

Post Reply   Page 1 of 5  [ 92 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 3 4 5 »
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject: Who will take home Lord Stanley's Cup?
Posted: Thu 02 Apr , 2009 4:25 am
Insolent Pup

Instead of interrupting the thread in the symposium with our hockey talk, we can use this thread to discuss the upcoming STANLEY CUP PLAYOFFS. Predictions? Observations? Annoyances?

Firstly, I am an Islanders fan, and have been since I was 11 (I'm 27 now, so that means a long-ass time). I'm going with the Bruins take the cup. I don't want to see Detroit with it, and I think the Sharks are going to blow it like usual. The Blackhawks aren't consistent enough either, and the Rags simply suck.

By the way, when will the league man-up on dirty hits? In tonight's Isles-Caps game, Mike Green (young d-man for the Caps) came across the neutral zone, and leapt at Andy Hilbert apparently to dislodge his head from his neck. A minor penalty was assessed, and I doubt Green will see a suspension. I've lost some respect for Mike Green. If the league wants to eliminate dirty hits, you have to suspend even the rising stars for the things you'd suspend 3rd and 4th liners for. Another incident involve Cindy Crosby going third man in on a fight, and using his fist to massage Vorichek's ball sack. Nothing from the league on that one.

Anyway, Stanley Cup anyone?

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Feredir
Post subject: Re: Who will take home Lord Stanley's Cup?
Posted: Thu 02 Apr , 2009 2:10 pm

Well, unfortunately hockey is not that big around here so I don't get to watch until the middle of the year. Then I only get to watch every other saturday. Long story short, I don't have a favorite team. As is my nature I always root for the underdog.
I DO NOT like Detroit.

I just checked the standings and it doesn't look good for teams from the frozen north. I would have to say that I am pulling for San Jose. Why? Because they would be an underdog by means of not winning the cup as often (if at all) than the other teams.

freddy

vison
Posted: Thu 02 Apr , 2009 2:19 pm
Best friends forever

Vancouver isn't the frozen north, silly freddy. It's like San Jose, only better.

Living on Earth is expensive,
but it does include a free trip
around the sun every year.

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Thu 02 Apr , 2009 10:14 pm
Insolent Pup

Are you going to summon the spirit of the Millionaires for your 'Nucks to not blow it come playoff time, vison?

San Jose is currently the lead for the President's Trophy (most points) but they tend to fold come playoff time. Good choice for an underdog.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
vison
Posted: Thu 02 Apr , 2009 10:27 pm
Best friends forever

I'm really not that much of hockey fan, but it would be nice if the Canuckleheads pulled it off.

Profile Quote
Feredir
Posted: Thu 02 Apr , 2009 11:29 pm

OK, how about the semi-frozen north.

freddy

TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Fri 03 Apr , 2009 1:28 am
Insolent Pup

Tonight is a big night for some playoff bound teams. Rags are losing to Carolina; the Habs are whomping the Isles unfortunately, but I'm not too disappointed because last place means 48% chance at that number one draft pick.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
The OG Borry
Posted: Fri 03 Apr , 2009 1:30 am
The best things in life are not things

Location: here....<_< yeah here thats Ceres, CA for you stalkers

Go Sharks! :banana: You gotta admit, one time or another through 12 or so OT's, just once, theyll screw up and actually keep winning through the playoffs.
Borry

Borry: equality works both ways cheater!
Don: so does not

So I take pictures now, check em out if you'd like. Here you go.

Profile Quote
Lurker
Posted: Sat 04 Apr , 2009 5:50 pm

I beLeafs! :bawl:
Go Flames!
:devil:

Anybody but the Chicken WingSucks!

Caution...You are entering the NO SPIN ZONE.

Profile Quote
TWT
Posted: Thu 09 Apr , 2009 7:17 pm
Wembley bound

Another Leafer here!

:D

Any hey Lurker! Long time no see.

So I had no real playoff expectations for this year and I wasn't disappointed. I like the direction they're going in though and I like Brian Burke. The other day when asked about what nationality players he likes to acquire he said he didn't give a damn and that if they made players on Mars he'd draft them from Mars. lol :P

But for the playoffs I'd like to see San Jose pull it off. Not a Boston fan at all but I wouldn't mind seeing them cap a brilliant year with the cup either. Would be well deserved.

Besides the Sens are out so who cares! =:)

And did anyone hear about Christian Hanson's first NHL goal the other night for the Leafs?

Why so significant? Well as I found out shortly after he's actually a son of one of THE Hanson brothers. As in the Slapshot guys! That's awesome!

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Fri 10 Apr , 2009 12:09 am
Insolent Pup

Burke has to avoid making the Maple Leaf mistake of awarding huge contracts to players that produce something great once (a.k.a. Jason Blake--don't get my wrong, love Blake and his years for the Isles).

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Fri 10 Apr , 2009 6:02 pm

Wings.

Again.

nuff said. :cheers:

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
vison
Posted: Fri 10 Apr , 2009 6:08 pm
Best friends forever

Brian Burke? Who on earth is Brian Burke? Oh, that Brian Burke. The former GM of the Vancouver Canucks. Who sneered at The Twins? Him? Fer shure, fer shure.

The Canucks are hawtt right now, but who knows how long it will be before they get to Choke City. Still, the Flames and the Maple Laffs will be there first, and we all know that.

I would love to be able to cheer for Toronto.

But I just can't. It's just not done.

My view is: ABTL.

(Anyone but the Leafs.)

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Fri 10 Apr , 2009 11:03 pm
Insolent Pup

So, sf... what's the wager on the Mug?

At the moment, I am going with whoever plays against the Rags to move on to the second round. Oh it was a bittersweet day in hockey yesterday for me. The Isles had another poor showing, but locked up the most balls in the lottery, and the Rags clinched a playoff spot. Cruel Fate! The nymph giveth, and kicketh in the balls at the same time.

I'm going to make a chart to follow the playoffs that I shall post here later... at some point.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
TWT
Posted: Sat 11 Apr , 2009 10:19 am
Wembley bound

I'm liking the reform that's going on in Toronto because I completely agree about not rewarding one-year brilliance with huge contracts. Jason Blake is a good case-in-point. Although he had a better year this year. Brian Burke doesn't believe in no-trade clauses, so we're on the same page on that one. The only one who deserves a no-trade, as long as he's a veteran of sorts, well respected and consistent, is your captain. You need to have a stable captain.

I think the most interesting and unpredictable round could be Montreal/Boston. Original 6 matchup there. Thing is, no matter how low Montreal are you can't count them out. Especially out of the first round. They've never lost a first round when they had their captain Koivu playing. Could be an long series, or could be a monumental upset. All I know is that if I'm Boston, I think Montreal is the team I would have wanted to play the least...

Another potential is San Jose/St. Louis. The Sharks only beat the Blues once in regulation this year. They won another in a shootout and lost the other two. What they got going for them though is both St. Louis victories were in St. Louis. With home ice advantage, good playoff performers I don't forsee an upset. But its the playoffs, who knows! :D

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Mon 13 Apr , 2009 5:25 am
Insolent Pup

It's going to be Sharks and Ducks. Blues beat the Avs which gave them 6th place. The Blues play the Canucks. I'm pulling for the Blues.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Tue 14 Apr , 2009 6:01 pm

TED
I am open to anything that will be both fun and reasonable ... we can each pick one team - mine would be the Wings - and if that team takes home Lord Stanley - then we have a winner of our wager.

How about loser has to buy the winner a commerative T-shirt honoring the winning team. You know the type I am talking about... the ones they produce days after the victory with cartoon drawings of the top stars around the Cup. They are usually ten to fifteen bucks.

like this one

http://www.joessports.com/product/index ... =197458471" target="_blank

how does that sound?

Anybody else want it or have ideas?

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
vison
Posted: Tue 14 Apr , 2009 6:31 pm
Best friends forever

TheEllipticalDisillusion wrote:
It's going to be Sharks and Ducks. Blues beat the Avs which gave them 6th place. The Blues play the Canucks. I'm pulling for the Blues.
You are a big fat poopyhead. :rage:

The Canucks!!!!! Yea, verily. :D

Louie Rocks!!!! Bobbylou forever!!!!!!! And you know who I mean.

(I don't really think you are a big fat poopyhead. Just a little, maybe?)

When the Canucks win the Stanley Cup I will chortle with delight thinking of y'all writhing in discomfiture.

Profile Quote
TWT
Posted: Tue 14 Apr , 2009 6:37 pm
Wembley bound

I'm pullin for the 'Nucks. They got my old captain! :D

Sundin has always been the epitome of playoff performance consistency, let's hope he can be the same for Van City. If they don't win the cup, I hope at least they have a good run...

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Tue 14 Apr , 2009 11:01 pm
Insolent Pup

Sundin hasn't been in the playoffs in forever. Don't discount the young kids on St. Louis: Backes, Berglund, Perron... they pulled through this season.

sf, so far that sounds good. I'll think of some other ideas as well.

vison.... I shall chortle gleefully, and redundantly when St. Louis upsets those 'Nuckers.

:banana: Drop the puck, baby.

Tonight is the lottery though... here comes that Islander number 1 pick!

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 5  [ 92 posts ]
Return to “The Turf” | Jump to page 1 2 3 4 5 »
Jump to: