board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Who will take home Lord Stanley's Cup?

Post Reply   Page 5 of 5  [ 92 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5
sauronsfinger
Post subject: Re: Who will take home Lord Stanley's Cup?
Posted: Wed 10 Jun , 2009 1:31 pm

The Wings looked bad last night for 32 minutes. If they come out on Friday like this the Penguins go home with the Cup. Detroit turned it in in the third period but it was too little and too late. When they had two power plays and one additional breakaway in the last ten minutes and came away with nothing - that gives you an indication of how bad it was. The number of shots blocked by Pen players was impressive. And I have rarely seen the Wings miss the goal on so many shots. It was just not a good Wings night.

Prediction on Friday: Wings 4 Penguins 2.

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Wed 10 Jun , 2009 1:37 pm
Insolent Pup

I wonder if this little train that could (The Pens) can really reach this summit. Considering how poorly the Pens play at Joe Louis, the Wings probably take this one handily.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Thu 11 Jun , 2009 11:56 am

The Pens do look like two different clubs on the road and at home. I just hope the pattern holds for one more game.

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Fri 12 Jun , 2009 10:43 pm

The three day build up to this game in this town is something that I have not seen here in a long time. The entire Michigan area is now hockey crazy. Gametime is 90 minutes away and this should be really good. GO WINGS!!!!! :toast:

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Sat 13 Jun , 2009 1:10 am
Insolent Pup

1-0 Pens.... excellent game so far from both teams.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Sat 13 Jun , 2009 2:43 am
Insolent Pup

The champs have been dethroned. The Pens went from 10th place to Stanley Cup winners. That was a monster save by Fleury at the end. Great series, despite not the final I would have wanted.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Sat 13 Jun , 2009 2:47 am

Truly pitiful performance by the Wings. I feel no sympathy for them at all. When you give up the puck on a sloppy turnover right in front of your own net and it leads to the opening goal... well, bend over and kiss you ass goodbye. It was not Ozzies fault at all. Hossa did not do a goddamn thing to help this team win in the entire series. The Penguins deserved to win. With the exception of the first ten minutes of the game, they outplayed the Wings.

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Sat 13 Jun , 2009 2:53 am
Insolent Pup

I love the irony of Hossa facing his former team, and still missing out on the cup.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
vison
Posted: Sat 13 Jun , 2009 4:39 am
Best friends forever

I find it ironic and idiotic that we Canuckians were glued to the TV watching 2 American teams fight for "our" Stanley Cup. It IS a Canadian trophy. This is dumb. And to see that little weasel Bettman . . . . what a jerk that guy is. "Sure you can have the losing Coyotes, but it's going to cost you $100,000,000."

Up yours, Bettman. Choke on it.

Living on Earth is expensive,
but it does include a free trip
around the sun every year.

Profile Quote
elfshadow
Posted: Sat 13 Jun , 2009 5:06 am
Kill the headlights and put it in neutral

YES!!!! Down with the Wings!!! :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Didn't follow the playoffs much this season since the Aves have been performing so pitifully in recent years, but I did manage to catch the last few minutes of this game and I'm so glad I did. I'm happy for the Pens, but mostly I was ecstatic to see the Red Wings lose.

vison, if it makes you feel better, most of the players are still Canadian. So I guess the Cup still sort of belongs to you guys. ;) And at least it snows in Pittsburgh. I was irrationally bothered when the Canes won a few years ago, because there is no ice in eastern North Carolina.

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Sat 13 Jun , 2009 5:31 am
Insolent Pup

There's ice, Elfshadow.... in the freezer....

Bettman still believes in the Southern belt teams.... his experiment is going to fail.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Sat 13 Jun , 2009 1:21 pm

I have to agree with TED. Hockey is simply not part of the culture of warm weather states of the South. Bettman is an idiot and perhaps the worst commissioner in major sports.

In the end, it was the lack of goals from the big names that killed the Wings. No excuses other than that cold hard fact. You should be able to beat a team when you hold them to two goals when you have four of the best hockey players in the world. They gave the puck away eleven more times than the opposition did last night. Pittsburgh deserved to win.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 5 of 5  [ 92 posts ]
Return to “The Turf” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 5
Jump to: