board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Techie help

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]
ToshoftheWuffingas
Post subject: Techie help
Posted: Fri 01 May , 2009 3:09 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

I thought a thread with a title like this might be handy to raise various queries.
I'll start off.
I have a very large Word document, (hello Alatar ;) ) of about 25 megabytes. It has picture files inserted into it.
It's too big to send in an e-mail as a single attachment so I thought I would decide where to divide the document into three, then copy and paste each third of it into three new documents. Easy eh? No unfortunately. Whether I used select all or highlighted a third to copy and paste all that was pasted was the text. I need the picture files copied, keeping their position in the text the same. Copying each picture file singly and inserting it into the correct spot is possible but a really long task.

Next attempt was to try to click on the ikon of the file to copy to a new document with the intention of doing it 3 times and deleting the redundant two thirds each time. All I get copied is the first page. *sigh*
Next attempt was to check the box that makes back-up copies of files automatically. (In Tools/Options). I got a good pile of various documents duplicated that I don't need but not the one I want. *sighs again*
Is there a quick easy way of copying both text and picture files from a Word document keeping the picture files where you want 'em?

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Post subject: Re: Techie help
Posted: Fri 01 May , 2009 3:11 pm
Daydream Believer

Convert it to a PDF and send it that way.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
laureanna
Posted: Fri 01 May , 2009 4:03 pm
Triathlete

I second the vote for PDFing it. My version of Word has that option. Otherwise, here are a few options, all of which I I've tried on my photo-rich word and power point documents.

1. Make a copy of the document, and in the copy, delete all photos, leaving just a place holder like "see photo #5". Then send each photo separately.

2. Get a Yahoo mail account that can deal with large attachments - not sure if it will handle 25 MG but I regularly send 10MB with no problem.

3. Compress the file with Winzip.

4. Copy to a CD and drop it in the mail.

5. Copy to a thumb drive, then back to your hard disk - this might do a better job of copying the whole document, so that you can slice it up.

6. Take each photo out, shrink it in terms of total megs per photo, and reinsert photo.

7. Print it out and take it to a Kinko's to have it scanned back in as a pdf.

8. Print it out and drop it in the snail mail.:P

Well, I'm back.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Fri 01 May , 2009 4:37 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

Tosh, I would take your original file, and delete one line of something. Then, immediately choose SAVE AS and give it another name. Once you're working in your "new" document, then delete the rest of what you want to delete to get it down to your first manageable chunk. Hit SAVE again once you're done (with that new file name). Then you can do the same thing again 2 more times from your original document. It's inelegant, but it works.

If you want to try converting it to a pdf (which should reduce the size), I use PrimoPDF. http://www.primopdf.com/" target="_blank It's free and works well. (You install it, and it becomes a new "printer." Then, when you're in Word, you choose PRINT. It will ask you what printer, and you choose PrimoPDF. You can follow it from there. It won't print a hard copy of anything, but it will "print" a pdf version of your Word document.)

Gmail also has free email accounts that can handle sending large documents. Yahoo is limited to 20MB, I'm pretty sure.

Also, you could try parking the file on some place like http://www.driveway.com" target="_blank. Then you can send a link to whomever is needing the document. They can follow the link and download the file themselves.

After all that, I'm really not sure why your document didn't copy your pics. It should have. Did you select it by clicking and dragging or by hitting CTRL-A? I'd try CTRL-A, if you haven't already.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Posted: Fri 01 May , 2009 4:53 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

Ta for the responses.
#1 I have to download software to convert to a pdf. OK I can do it but hey, Microsoft, dontch'a think it ought to be standard? Will pdf preserve colour?
#2 I can send it with the pics separate but I don't want to.
#3 Yahoo can handle 20MB, so I still have the same problem
#4 I might decide to send it via CD. It seems daft to have to though.
#5 Hmm, might be worth an experiment to move it from a memory stick and back.
#6 Shrinking each picture file will be a seriously long job.
#7 Its 256 pages. I ain't going to print it out.
#8 ditto for printing and snail mailing it.

Basically why is it so hard to just cut a complete Word document up into segments?

ETA Ta Lali. That sounds like a cunning plan to change the document and save it using 'save as'. I'll give Ctrl A a go too.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Fri 01 May , 2009 4:58 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

I really don't know, Tosh. It shouldn't be. Did you read my suggestions? (ETA: Okay! :) We're on the same page now.)

PDF will preserve colors. It should preserve everything, though give it a once over if you convert it. I have had it do some funky things when it made the Word document a pdf.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Wilma
Posted: Fri 01 May , 2009 5:48 pm
Takoyaki is love

You know, what version of ward are you using? When I had to break up my essay into 5 page pieces, I never had to reposition the pictures.

Itoshiki Sensei from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Avatar by: sparklessence

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
elfshadow
Posted: Fri 01 May , 2009 7:01 pm
Kill the headlights and put it in neutral

Tosh, try http://www.yousendit.com. It's meant for very large files, and the recipient should get a link that they can use to download the document. It will also stay in its original Word format. You might have to sign up for a free 14-day trial to be able to use it, but that shouldn't be too difficult.

Profile Quote
Amrunelen
Posted: Fri 01 May , 2009 7:07 pm
wencherific

I was going to suggest Lali's method....it's a bit time consuming, but just save extra copies of it changing the name slightly and then delete all except what you want to keep in each one.

[ img ]

"Morning has broken and I have felt a presence that disturbs
me with the joy of elevated thoughts; a sense sublime of
something far more deeply interfused, whose dwelling is the
light of setting suns, and the round ocean and the living air,
and the blue sky, and in the mind of man; a motion and a
spirit, that impels." -Wordsworth

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Posted: Fri 01 May , 2009 9:37 pm
bioalchemist

I remember this from thesising.

A .pdf might not be smaller, just as a warning. Your best bet, if you really won't/can't just burn it to a disk or put it on a memory stick, is to compress it. Breaking it up into three smaller files is going to annoy your receiver. The big hog in your document is the pics. If this thing you're sending is not meant for print, you can reduce the resolution of the images and it'll look good on screen. Print's another story - you need high resolution images for a high quality print job.

"He attacks. And here I can kill him. But I don't. That's the answer to world peace, people."
-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
BrianIsSmilingAtYou
Posted: Sat 02 May , 2009 12:13 am

I've never uploaded, but I've had occasion to download, large files from sites that are set up for this purpose;

e.g.

http://www.megaupload.com/" target="_blank

You can store a file up to 250MB. Upload the file to the site. Send the link to the file. The recipient downloads it using the link.

No need to fiddle with the file at all.

BrianIs :) AtYou

[ img ]

My niece, Humera, under a pumpkin leaf!

Profile Quote
Wilma
Posted: Sat 02 May , 2009 1:21 am
Takoyaki is love

In the end I had to use megaupload, to electronically hand in my major essay as my prof specifically said he wanted pics.

Itoshiki Sensei from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Avatar by: sparklessence

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Posted: Sat 02 May , 2009 9:59 am
Filthy darwinian hobbit

Thanks folks.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction: