board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Help finding some form of literature. (Recitation)

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]
Wilma
Post subject: Help finding some form of literature. (Recitation)
Posted: Wed 06 May , 2009 2:51 am
Takoyaki is love

OK I need some help finding a recitation. My Dad had to memorize it when he was little in school and he wanted to see if he could find where it was written, and who was the author. He was memorizing this around 65 years ago so I have no idea where to find it now. I tried google and no luck. I have the name of the recitation. It's called "The Diamond Ring"

My Father told me what the story is generally about.
A father had a diamond ring and his 3 sons competed for it. After a month they each came back and told him a story.
My Dad gave me some quotes. (Fragments of what he remembers)
"he who banishes evil from his heart and act the christian part have surely won the diamond ring"
later on...
"once tending sheep I saw my enemy lying close to a precipice, I could have left him there"

Any clues? Any ideas? I will most likely cross post this on other sites. Any help would be appreciated.

Itoshiki Sensei from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Avatar by: sparklessence

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
BrianIsSmilingAtYou
Post subject: Re: Help finding some form of literature. (Recitation)
Posted: Wed 06 May , 2009 4:13 am

Do you know the author?

I have found an author (Thomas Watson) on Google with a Christian bent that uses imagery very similar to what I see in those quotes, though not the exact wording, particularly in the use of the diamond ring as metaphor.

However, this is more in the style of preaching or sermonizing, not a story. However, the story sounds like a parable, so it could fit into a sermon quite well.

BrianIs :) AtYou

[ img ]

My niece, Humera, under a pumpkin leaf!

Profile Quote
Wilma
Posted: Thu 07 May , 2009 6:28 am
Takoyaki is love

Well my Dad was alittle boy when he memorized it so the details are pretty fuzzy. I am surprised he remebers as much as does. Thank you for help Brian. I will mention Thomas Watson to my Dad and see what he says. Also when I am done moving I will finally crosspost this thread. (Just found out Claudia Black is coming to Toronto and I actually statrted hyperventilating)

Itoshiki Sensei from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Avatar by: sparklessence

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Silwen
Posted: Fri 08 May , 2009 12:21 pm
DomiKNITrix

I think this is Nathan the Wise.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nathan_the_Wise" target="_blank

Abso-knitting-lutely! The knitting blog.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]
Return to “The Turf”
Jump to: