board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Prayers, please?

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]
elf-maiden
Post subject: Prayers, please?
Posted: Thu 14 May , 2009 1:12 am

So, it's kind of depressing that this is my first thread here, but whatever.

My dad informed me this evening that my uncle has colorectal cancer. This is coming as huge shock to everyone. I did a quick wiki search on it, and none of the risk factors seem to apply. He's just in his late forties. He lost a ton of weight a few years ago and has been very health conscious since. He still works and hasn't really had any other health problems. No one in my family has ever had cancer, as far as I'm aware, so it's not likely to be hereditary. He doesn't live in an industrial city to do any kind of industrial work.

It just doesn't make sense. Naturally, I'm sure there are other factors that my medically-ignorant self is not aware of, but it still doesn't make sense to me.

This is a serious cancer (not that any cancer isn't serious), so he basically he has a 50/50 chance of it either being benign or malignant. My family has always been blessed as far as health goes - at 20, I currently have not had any of my immediate family die or even gone through many life-threatening situations.

I would like for it to stay that way for as long as possible. So I just want to ask everyone to please keep my uncle and his family in your prayers.

God bless.

[ img ]
^ I like getting creative with my camera phone.

Profile Quote
RELStuart
Post subject: Re: Prayers, please?
Posted: Thu 14 May , 2009 1:14 am
Legendury speller

Will do. Sorry to hear about that. My Grandpa is dying of cancer right now and it is pretty sad.

:hug:

"When people don't believe in you, you have to believe in yourself. "
Pierce Brosnan

"Please don't disillusion me. I haven't had breakfast yet." Card

Profile Quote
Rebecca
Posted: Thu 14 May , 2009 2:24 am

:hug:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Thu 14 May , 2009 3:28 am
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

I will keep him in my prayers. :hug:

If he has cancer, why are they saying they don't know yet if it's benign or malignant?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Sunsilver
Posted: Thu 14 May , 2009 4:08 am

If he has cancer it is NOT benign! By definintion, ALL cancers are malignant! They may have found a polyp in his bowel. These polyps are sometimes malignant and sometimes benign, but are usually removed becasue they have a high potential to become malignant. Let's hope that this is the situation. If they're not sure it's malignant, he either doesn't have cancer, or it's in a very early stage of the disease, and his prospects for a full recovery are excellent.

Do they perhaps mean he has a 50/50 chance of surviving? Or a 50/50 chance that the cancer has not yet spread to other areas?

Survival rates with colorectal cancer are fairly good if it is caught early enough, though he may have to wear a colostomy bag for the rest of his life. New surgical techiques are making permanent colostomies less common, though.

I will keep him in my prayers!

I'm a registered nurse, and have nursed many colorectal cancer patient in all stages of the disease, so, if you have any questions, fire away!

And cancer does NOT make sense! I lost my husband to cancer of the bladder. This most often occurs in smokers, and he'd quit smoking 30 years before he got sick, so according to statistics, he was no more at risk for cancer than a non-smoker!

Cancer of the bowel is most often adenocarcinoma, and is very common in North America. A lot of it has to do with our diet, as this form of cancer is extremely rare in Africa, where they eat a lot more high fibre vegetables.

When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose[/size]

Profile Quote
Amrunelen
Posted: Thu 14 May , 2009 12:19 pm
wencherific

:hug: Keeping you and your family in my thoughts.

[ img ]

"Morning has broken and I have felt a presence that disturbs
me with the joy of elevated thoughts; a sense sublime of
something far more deeply interfused, whose dwelling is the
light of setting suns, and the round ocean and the living air,
and the blue sky, and in the mind of man; a motion and a
spirit, that impels." -Wordsworth

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Thu 14 May , 2009 2:19 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

Sunsilver wrote:
If he has cancer it is NOT benign! By definintion, ALL cancers are malignant!
Yes, that was my point in asking. There is some kind of misinformation going on somewhere, and it may be good news actually (i.e., he doesn't actually have cancer).

[ img ]

Profile Quote
BrianIsSmilingAtYou
Posted: Fri 15 May , 2009 4:01 am

Please do follow up on this.

My father had colon cancer, and is a long term survivor, and his father died of colorectal cancer (back when treatment options were few or none). My mother has a colostomy (though not due to cancer, due to a misdiagnosed infection that abscessed--long story).

However, there are many members of the extended family that have not been touched. Nevertheless, it runs in my family to a degree, therefore, and two of my brothers have been tested and had polyps removed. If you are vigilant, you can prevent this. I plan on being tested shortly, just to stay on top of it.

In addition to family connections, there are also dietary connections, such as improved risk with a diet high in animal fat and low in fiber.

Sometimes the unexpected happens, though, where no family risk is known, and diet is good. My sister has been fighting cancer of a different kind for 4 years now (Hodgkin's Lymphoma) and there was no history or known risk factors.

I will be thinking about your uncle and you. Please make sure he follows up. This is very survivable.

BrianIs :) AtYou

[ img ]

My niece, Humera, under a pumpkin leaf!

Profile Quote
elfshadow
Posted: Fri 15 May , 2009 4:17 am
Kill the headlights and put it in neutral

Oh, Elfy, I'm so sorry to hear this. :( :hug: :hug: :hug: You and your whole family will be in my thoughts, and I will send positive vibes your uncle's way.

Profile Quote
elf-maiden
Posted: Sat 16 May , 2009 3:52 am

Thanks everyone. :hug:

As far as saying it's benign/malignant, I doubt it's that I got the wrong information - I probably just misunderstood. ;) Like I said, I know nothing when it comes to medical issues. I do know for sure he has cancer though. I heard he went in about three weeks after the symptoms started, so I would assume that would qualify as catching it early. I know he'll be going through chemo and that he had some tests recently.

Sunsilver, I will definitely ask if any questions come up. Thanks for your insight. :)

Of course it's best to be positive, which we're definitely trying to be. I know a lot of people have survived.

[ img ]
^ I like getting creative with my camera phone.

Profile Quote
Lidless
Posted: Sat 16 May , 2009 6:03 pm
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

Not prayers, but thoughts.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Posted: Sat 16 May , 2009 6:16 pm
Hasta la victoria, siempre

Indeed. I wasn't sure how best to tell you that, but since Lidless stepped up to the mark I've found my tongue. My thoughts are with you all.

Avatar is a male me, drawn by a very close friend. Just don't ask why.

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Posted: Sat 16 May , 2009 7:31 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

Cancer is always a worry but there are many forms of it and treatment is so very good nowadays. Most likely your uncle is in for a tough time but do not think of it as a sentence of doom. Give your Mum and Dad a bit of space too as they come to terms with it. They must be having all sorts of troubled thoughts themselves.
Take heart!

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]
Return to “The Turf”
Jump to: