*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R* wrote:
[ img ]
Oh, I loved him so much as that character! :love:

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Post subject: Re: Dead Celebrities
Posted: Fri 26 Jun , 2009 12:46 pm
You are hearing me talk

I never listened to his music--I was just a kid when he was at the height of his popularity and none of our parents would let us listen to anything like that. Still, we were all aware of him and his name was the first to come up when we needed an example of someone that was cool or something that the bad teenagers did ("he even says he's bad right in the song!"). So even though I was never a fan, it still feels a bit like losing a word from my vocabulary, or a symbol from my mythology.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Fri 26 Jun , 2009 1:51 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

I'm glad the Jeff Goldblum thing was a rumor!

As for Michael Jackson, I was a middle schooler when he was at the height of his career. I was never a huge fan, but he was a big part of my childhood culture.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Lurker
Posted: Fri 26 Jun , 2009 2:06 pm

I am in mourning. :) I told my boss I have to take my three days leave.... seriously. :P

My staff and I are wearing black arm bands and we brought in our CDs.

Caution...You are entering the NO SPIN ZONE.

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Fri 26 Jun , 2009 5:30 pm

I'm more a fan of Weird Al's parodies of Michael Jackson's work.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
The Watcher
Posted: Fri 26 Jun , 2009 6:07 pm
Same as it ever was

I dunno...

I was young enough to remember him as the little kid in the Jackson Five, I remember when he premiered "Thriller" and other state of the art videos back in the eighties, but then he just got stranger and stranger. Seriously weird. From then, it only got worse. In a way, I am not surprised that MJ died, he seemed to have a serious disassociation between what was real and mattered and what he wanted to believe in, and I think that did get the better of him, living in a self made fantasy world.

What happens now with those kids? Their moms are nowhere in the picture, and it sounds as though his estate will likely be bankrupt.

Scientists tell us that the fastest animal on earth, with a top speed of 120 miles per second, is a cow that has been dropped from a helicopter.

Never under any circumstances take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

- Dave Barry

Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive...
Supermassive Black Hole.

- Muse

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Lidless
Posted: Fri 26 Jun , 2009 9:30 pm
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

From Wiki:

News of Jackson's death spread quickly online, causing many websites to experience technical difficulties following the unanticipated swell of users. Google announced technical difficulties after a sudden increase in searches for "Michael Jackson" led the company to believe it was under attack from hackers, while social networking site Twitter reported a crash after record numbers of users used the site to spread the news of Jackson's death. AIM, an instant messaging service operated by America Online, collapsed for forty minutes. The company called it a "seminal moment in Internet history" and added "We've never seen anything like it in terms of scope or depth." Wikipedia also experienced technical difficulties, and crashed at 3:15 PDT, reportedly due to excessive edits and user overload.

In the hours following Jackson's death, his record sales increased dramatically. His album Thriller climbed to number one on the American iTunes music chart, while another eight have made it into the top 40. In the UK, where Jackson would have performed in less than three weeks, his albums occupied 14 of the top 20 places on the Amazon.co.uk sales chart with Off The Wall topping the chart. Nine of his albums were featured on the American iTunes Top 10 chart, including Thriller, Bad, Dangerous, and three compilations. In the UK iTunes store on June 26, thirty-nine of Jackson's songs were in the Top 100 best selling songs list, in addition to four Jackson 5 songs. Eight of his albums took over the top ten downloaded albums and the top five video downloads were all Michael Jackson videos. Along with this he also entered into the top top ten single downloads with "Man in the Mirror".

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Posted: Sat 27 Jun , 2009 2:41 am
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

So many numbers. *mind boggled*

I know livejournal crashed because of ONTD. Which sites were y'all responsible for killing? :P I only went to google for the Jeff Goldblum thing, while mom was posting about MJ and Farrah on her facebook lol.

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Lurker
Posted: Sun 28 Jun , 2009 3:54 am

Very well said Wilma.

I'm not a famous artist but MJ had a significant influence in my life. I was bit of a rebel when I was a kid and I had to save some of my allowance just so I could have my pants altered similar to MJ's which was not a good idea since I go to a strict Catholic boys' school wherein the teachers check the length of your pants. (Well, MJ stared this fashion trend and every rebel in school was doing it so they started random checks.) I had my ways of getting out of that jam (one of them similar to the way kids wear their pants nowadays.). My mom thought the dryer shrunk my pants. :halo: I have a somewhat similar red jacket he used in Thriller which I begged my dad to buy (it was expensive but my good grades compensated for it) and similar penny loafers from Billie Jean. I think I still have the silver gloves somewhere which I made myself. I learned and practiced how to dance/sing and even got myself a small role in an inter-school musical. My friends and I even performed Beat It, Billie Jean, Thriller, Off the Wall etc... during school programmes and family friends. Maybe if there was a contest "The Best American Dance Crew" that time we would have auditioned for it.

Remember the 80's was the New Wave era (The Cure, Psychedelic Furs, Depeche Mode, Tears For Fears, Duran Duran etc...) and yet he was able to break into this era with his Thriller Album. The videos were really amazing which made me become interested in film making in which my friends and I got an award for in an a short animated film for students contest among the schools in Ontario. Like most of the people here have said, despite his weirdness you can't deny he was a musical genius that influenced a lot of people.

IMHO, I still have yet to see an artist in this generation who I can compare to MJ, sadly, I still haven't seen anybody who can take his place. Even my parents were in schock when they heard the news and they are from a different generation.

Rest in Peace, MJ.

Caution...You are entering the NO SPIN ZONE.

Profile Quote
elfshadow
Posted: Sun 28 Jun , 2009 7:02 pm
Kill the headlights and put it in neutral

Billy Mays died last night. :( Link. I don't know how well-known he was outside of the States, but he was a very famous spokesperson here in the US. He was 50, the same age as MJ.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Sun 28 Jun , 2009 8:12 pm

I just saw that! :Q

[ img ]

Profile Quote
TheMary
Posted: Tue 30 Jun , 2009 12:52 am
I took the stars from my eyes, and then I made a map, And knew that somehow I could find my way back; Then I heard your heart beating, you were in the darkness too - So I stayed in the darkness with you

Just saw something on the web that Natalie Portman may have died while filming in New Zealand. Anyone know if this is true?! :(

Lay down
Your sweet and weary head
Night is falling
You’ve come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore

Why do you weep?
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see
All of your fears will pass away
Safe in my arms
You're only sleeping

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Tue 30 Jun , 2009 1:20 am

No, but it sounds suspiciously like the rumor that was going around by Jeff Goldblum.

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/hoaxes/cliffdeath.asp

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Lidless
Posted: Wed 01 Jul , 2009 7:24 pm
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Posted: Thu 02 Jul , 2009 2:51 am
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

Karl Malden, 97.

Unacceptable.

[ img ]

EDIT: okay, Harve Presnell too. What the fuck @ this week. :shrug:

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Rowanberry
Posted: Thu 02 Jul , 2009 2:55 pm
Can never be buggered at all

Lidless wrote:
Now, that one turned out to be a hoax:

Jeff Goldblum: "I'm Not Dead Yet"

People, you and me, are not trusted. The right doesn't like us because we don't do what we're told by our betters, and the left doesn't like us because it secretly thinks we would be on the right given half a chance and a lottery win. And both think we should not make our own decisions, because we might make the wrong ones. ~ Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Eruname
Posted: Thu 02 Jul , 2009 3:57 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

Lalaith, would you mind if this got moved to the Symposium...or have all this debate part split off into the Symposium? Generally when people come to the Turf they aren't looking for a debate so to me not all of this belongs here.

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Fri 03 Jul , 2009 1:43 pm

Yes, Eru, feel free to split off the debate stuff into the Symp. Thanks!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Eruname
Posted: Fri 03 Jul , 2009 11:49 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

Ugh....well frak. I messed your thread up royally. I don't understand what happened as it seems posts I didn't select to be split off were split off. :scratch: :roll: I don't remember splitting topics to be difficult on the old board and I never had a problem.

I'm really sorry Lali. :( I've really got to get to bed now so I'll try my best to fix it all later. :(

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Sat 04 Jul , 2009 3:56 am

No worries. :) Get to it when you get to it, and if you can't, no biggie.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 2 of 3  [ 46 posts ]
Return to “The Turf” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 »
Jump to: