Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
Rebecca
Post subject: Re: Internet: Which system
Posted: Thu 23 Jul , 2009 11:38 am

My mom and sister have it, and from the little I've used it, it does seem more organized. But I know my roommate hated it, in part because it crashed very frequently. She reformatted her computer with XP and that stopped happening. Don't know if there were other complaints, though.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Crucifer
Posted: Fri 31 Jul , 2009 3:26 pm
A song outlasts a dynasty.

Every time I've used vista, it's decided that every single webpage is suspect, and won't let me download anything at all. Anything.

Sleep is a death; Oh, make me try by sleeping what it is to die.

Profile Quote
Eruname
Posted: Fri 31 Jul , 2009 3:39 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

That has to be a problem with the antivirus/firewall you're using surely.

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.

-Ryokan

Profile Quote
Crucifer
Posted: Fri 31 Jul , 2009 3:48 pm

Nope. It was on my aunt's computer, and every time I changed page, a pop-up came up asking me to make sure the page was secure, as Vista didn't think so. Then, when I'd try to download something, bye bye browser, "You can't do that!", and I'd have to start all over again.

Profile Quote
elfshadow
Posted: Fri 31 Jul , 2009 4:04 pm
Kill the headlights and put it in neutral

That can't be a Vista thing, Crucifer. I have Vista, too, and it has never done that. Or your aunt could have put special settings on. But that's definitely not something Vista automatically does.

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Posted: Fri 31 Jul , 2009 4:55 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

Quote:
Or your aunt could have put special settings on.
Only when Crucifer visits. ;)

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Profile Quote
Eruname
Posted: Fri 31 Jul , 2009 5:30 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

Same here. Vista has never said anything about the websites I visit. That's down to my AVP and possibly spybot as well.

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.

-Ryokan

Profile Quote
Crucifer
Posted: Fri 31 Jul , 2009 5:57 pm

Hmmmm... Could be. I don't think she would have though. She's not all that tech-savvy. Turning the thing on and using her email and family tree construction software is about as advanced as it gets!

Profile Quote
Estel
Posted: Sat 01 Aug , 2009 8:56 am
Pure Kitsch Flavor

Nope - vista does that to me as well. Never had any problems with the internet when I had XP, but ever since I got a computer with vista, I don't know whether I'm going to be cut off from the internet or not. Sometimes, I've barely even turned the computer on, let alone clicked to go online when vista will inform me that it's shutting the internet connection down :bang: The worst was when I was in an online line for buying tickets and I forgot that vista would do that to me if it didn't like the webpage I went to. I had to do some emergency maneuvering twice to keep vista from shutting me down, and one of those maneuvers was simply looking at the computer and saying please please please please please.

Profile Quote
Angbasdil
Posted: Sat 01 Aug , 2009 1:12 pm
The man, the myth, the monkey

Remember, there are different versions of Vista. Home Premium is way better than Home Basic (I haven't used any of the business versions.) But I do still find the multiple dialog boxes annoying.

My biggest problem with Vista isn't Vista itself, it's the lack of compatibility and support. A lot of software that is written for XP just doesn't want to work in Vista and the software companies have declined to support yet another upgrade of Windows. Same thing with a lot of hardware manufacturers - they're just not going to bother writing new drivers for older hardware. I can't even get Vista to work right with XP. I have a wireless network at home and my XP desktop and my Vista laptop refuse to talk to each other.

It gets even worse in the workplace (speaking as a technician - I can't say for business software). I use my laptop as a diagnostic tool, connecting it to a lot of different machines from a number of manufacturers. I also use it (via an aircard) to access two different secure networks. Almost none of these things are supported in Vista. My employer has a site license for XP and the first thing our IT people do when they get a new computer is wipe Vista off the HD and install XP.

So the short answer to "why all the Vista hate?" is, IMHO, that it's too much trouble for too little return. There's all the downside of upgrading but I don't see any benefit.

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Posted: Sat 01 Aug , 2009 1:15 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

I'm not savvy enough to comment intelligently but with XP/IE I regularly get script error pop ups asking if I want to write scripts on that page (I forget the exact wording). I'll answer and as soon as I move the cursor off the box it will come up again. I get it worst with Facebook but on plenty of other places too. I just put it down the the malevolent god of the Internet.

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Profile Quote
eärendil
Posted: Sun 09 Aug , 2009 2:23 pm
citoyenne du monde

I am on a Mac so for me it is Safari and Firefox. Although I don't like much the new version of the latter I find both of them easy to use.

I do appreciate that Safari when I open a new tab brings up my favorite websites for me to go to. Because that way I can open directly on the sites I mostly use. Being in the midst of organising my wedding, it's kind of handy ;)

I Endure in order to Reflect
Transcending Order
I seal the Matrix of Endlessness
With the Cosmic tone of Presence
I am guided by the power of Spirit

Who can say if I've been changed for the better, but
Because I knew you,
I have been changed for good

Profile Quote
elfshadow
Posted: Mon 10 Aug , 2009 6:15 pm
Kill the headlights and put it in neutral

I just downloaded Chrome and have been testing it out. I actually like it a lot, which is strange because I loved Firefox and was so used to it. I tried out Opera one time but I just couldn't get into it. Chrome is great, though. I like that when you open a new tab it shows thumbnails of your most frequently visited sites instead of just a blank page. Also, the address bar and the search bar are the same. And (even though this is really little and insignificant) when you type in the first couple of words of a website that you visit often, the most-used site pops right up in the address bar instead of being at the top of the drop-down list. Stupid, I know, but I like it.

Also, when you highlight a text box, and orange border pops up around it. It's cute.

Downsides: no alt+s for automatically posting php messages. :( The new Firefox didn't do that either, but it was easily fixable. Can't figure out how to change it in Chrome.

Profile Quote
Rowanberry
Posted: Wed 12 Aug , 2009 10:47 am
Can never be buggered at all

I'm on XP both at home and at work. I've used Vista once, when we were visiting the hubby's cousin, and wasn't awfully impressed, although I didn't have any problems with it at what I was doing (checking my e-mail and a couple of other sites).

My favourite browser is Firefox, hands down, and the newest version (3.5.2) works quite nicely on my home desktop, unless I have too many programs going on at the same time; then, there will be memory issues, although I've done some tweaking to make the browser take up less memory. At work, I'm on Firefox 2.0.0.2 for almost all of the browsing outside the house; our systems only support IE, but one nice PC advisor installed Firefox for me a few years ago. The only problem with it is that, because we're on XP Professional and I don't have admin rights, I can't update it myself, and the nice PC advisor works a little too far now.

Opera comes a close second, and it was actually my favourite at one time, but unfortunately, too many websites don't support it. At home, I also have IE8, Chrome, and Safari, all of which I hardly ever use.

People, you and me, are not trusted. The right doesn't like us because we don't do what we're told by our betters, and the left doesn't like us because it secretly thinks we would be on the right given half a chance and a lottery win. And both think we should not make our own decisions, because we might make the wrong ones. ~ Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Wed 12 Aug , 2009 11:09 pm
Insolent Pup

I've tried Vista. I think it is a waste. I don't look forward to 7. I like XP better. Also, I'd go with Chrome. Most anything that Google does is bueno!

In all reality, if you like, or want Vista... go with Mac OS 10 either Tiger or Leopard. Vista looks like it tried to copy Mac. Biters.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Posted: Thu 13 Aug , 2009 10:43 pm
You are hearing me talk

Firefox w/ AdBlock Plus is what I usually use. Every now and then I try something else and am shocked and appalled by all the annoying animated advertisements I encounter everywhere.

Profile Quote
yovargas
Posted: Fri 14 Aug , 2009 1:20 am

Erunáme wrote:
Same here. Vista has never said anything about the websites I visit. That's down to my AVP and possibly spybot as well.
When I first got Vista I had the same issues with it constantly checking stuff for security. Everything! Constantly! It was borderline unusable. But it turns out those are settings and you can lower the security to a reasonable level. Now I have no beef with Vista. It works fine for me.

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Posted: Wed 09 Sep , 2009 1:46 pm
You are hearing me talk

TheEllipticalDisillusion wrote:
Most anything that Google does is bueno!
I've actually decided to quit using Google products for anything except internet searches. They have too much information about me already without actively giving them more.

But yes, they do consistently manage to come up with good user interfaces.

Profile Quote
Wilma
Posted: Wed 09 Sep , 2009 8:18 pm
Takoyaki is love

The primary reason I got a mac was to avoid Vista. I had used in my sisters computer and it would crash constantly. A friend of mine has it on her laptop and the same thing. Not to mention ll these security pop-ups. learning to use a mac is not really difficult at all and I love the mac. Best computer purchase ever. I have rarely ever had problems with it.

I use Firefox for Mac. Not too hot for Safari but my Dad uses it. I only use Safari on my ipd since I have no choice. When I get a net book (which I have to get since the stupid scool has almost everything automated through the internet ), I was very relieved to hear they still have XP to run those. If Apple made a net book I would get that, but they don't (at least not yet).

Itoshiki Sensei from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Avatar by: sparklessence

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 2 of 2  [ 40 posts ]
Return to “The Turf” | Jump to page « 1 2
Jump to: