board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Chicks dig scars... but not their own

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Post subject: Chicks dig scars... but not their own
Posted: Fri 31 Jul , 2009 11:49 pm
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

[ img ]

Argh, I'm so angry with myself. I've been lazy this summer and therefore my dog hasn't been getting much exercise either. Well, I made enough pocket moneys to get a bicycle yesterday, my first in er maybe fifteen years or some awful number like that. I knew enough to not try biking while holding the dog's leash haha, but apparently just letting her run free in the backyard while maneuvering the bumpy terrain alongside her wasn't too bright either. Once I had to turn around, I didn't have enough energy to keep pedaling even slightly uphill, but my legs are just a bit too short to have both feet on the ground, and as fate would have it, I stopped right on an incline. :thumbsdown Okay, so I fall, big deal. I did it a few weeks ago on a swingset anyway lol. For some reason, falling is much different with a heavy-ass bike on top of you and gears slicing through your skin. Who'da thunk.

It's funny because even as I was falling over, I was already planning a trip to the hospital just to make sure I wasn't too fudged up. Yet once I was actually on the ground (which didn't hurt btw), that was like the end of rational thought, because I just wanted the bike off me. I'm not sure if I was already cut at that point, or if I made things worse by scrambling to kick the bike away, but by the time I did look at my calf, ngl... my insides were on the outside. I feel barfy just thinking about it.

I could walk just fine, I mean the wound was sore but nothing crazy. I wondered if it was one of those situations where people don't realize they've been shot, or are holding their intestines and don't feel a thing. For the record, I only started crying out of disappointment that I had fucked up the bike situation so quickly. :P Also, it looked soooo disgusting. I figured the docs would end up sticking a needle in there for some reason or another, which made me cry more in between cursing my idiocy. Man, I never used to have problems with that stuff. Might even be why I did get into horror flicks, it just never phased me. I wasn't a kid who was scared of doctor appointments or visiting the dentist. But in recent years? Oy. I have a ways to fall yet, I suppose, but I'm just not used to feeling squicky about anything, so this blows. All that beige tissue... ugh, like I don't have enough problems inventing meals, there's no way I'm going near raw chicken for a while so idk what I'm gonna cook with. :blackeye: While I was going cross-eyed at the doc stitching me up, all I could think of was bullshit island surgery on that show Lost and thinking, "fuck you Sawyer, pulling a bullet out with your bare fingers. Fuck! You!!" Also that stupid bitch from Twilight, all 'tee-hee I'm endearingly klutzy and always in bandages, but no biggie, I'm not phased by anything unless a hot guy is ignoring me.' If today became at all regular, I'd just buy a big bubble to live in, okay. Injuries are lame!

Bah. I'm just pissed. My brothers are morons and always hurting themselves, but this is new for me. I wasn't too wimpy a child, but I think scratches and pulled muscles were the worst of it. I've always been clumsy and had blonde moments, but so far have only paid for that in stubbed toes, sunburns, and ruined cooking attempts. :nerd: No stitches until now. And it was only a month ago that I was in the hospital again for an ear ache I got from sticking in a q-tip too far. Lmfao. :confused: Maybe it's just one of those summers, or my intelligence peaked at 24. Ugh.

Anyway, I'm all bandaged up now and only missing a wee bit of tissue. It wasn't impressive-looking enough for me to ask to keep it. If I can look at the scar next week without vomiting, maybe I'll take a picture. Until then, I can't go swimming :rage: and will probs stay off the bike until I'm used to stretching the gauze a bit. It's not a cast or anything, but hey, when you got a bandage on you sort of automatically stiffen up. Plus my ~ego~ is damaged, I should probably hurry up and get a "Christine" license plate before I feel worse.

Bike: 1, *E*: 0

For now.

[ img ]

EDIT: in case you couldn't tell, share stories about your own battle wounds or post funny macros about how I fail at life.

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Elian
Post subject: Re: Chicks dig scars... but not their own
Posted: Sat 01 Aug , 2009 12:34 am
Let the dice fly.

:hug:

Sorry the bike turned on you so quick! :( If it had been me, I'd have probably passed out right then and there...I didn't used to be too bad with blood and injuries either, but it's gotten worse and worse as I've gotten older, just like you. I don't know why either.

As for good stories, having been a very indoors type of child who didn't bike, rollerblade, hike, or any other activity likely to cause scrapes and cuts and bleeding, I don't really have any. I think the last incident that involved a scar for me was slicing a knuckle open on my razor when I reached blindly into the bag it was in. :roll: And like the few other scars I have, it's so tiny that I'm likely the only one who can see it anyhow.

Hope your leg doesn't hurt too much and you get back on the bike soon! :hug:

What does it take
to stop getting carried away
by the force of my love...

Profile Quote
elfshadow
Posted: Sat 01 Aug , 2009 3:56 am
Kill the headlights and put it in neutral

Oh, *E*! :hug: :hug: That exact thing happened to my best friend. She fell off her bike, her bike fell on her and cut her right on the hip. She had to get stitches too. It's easy as hell to get in a bike accident (ask River, I think she had a pretty bad one in college), so don't feel too bad about it. Sucks that you had to go to the ER though. :( Hope you feel better, take plenty of pain medication. Ice cream helps too.

Profile Quote
BrianIsSmilingAtYou
Posted: Sat 01 Aug , 2009 4:13 am

Wow, *E*, I hope you're OK!

I had a slightly different situation a few years ago, where a guy turning into a local bar cut me off while I was out riding, and I had to come to a sudden stop when I was doing about 15-20 on my bike. I hit the breaks hard and the front shocks fully depressed (it's a mountain bike) and I did a header over the handle bars.

My chin met the concrete and my left elbow met the front bumper of the car.

I had a fair amount of blood and bruises but nothing broken. Something like 3 ambulances and a couple cop cars were there in minutes, but Mr.-Red-Car-with-Jersey-Plates pulling into the bar was long gone.

I spend hours in the ER watching the Summer Olympics (it was that time of year) and they stitched up my chin. I got out of the ER around 9PM (the incident was around 3-4PM) and the local cop had told me he'd pick me up from the ER. So I called him and he came.

What he didn't tell me was that he was only going to drive me back to the site of the accident, and then I was on my own. So I biked home under the moonlight several miles, stitched and bandaged, looking like a mummy on wheels, and proceeded to feel very sore for a number of days.

They never found the guy who cut me off.

BrianIs :) AtYou

[ img ]

My niece, Humera, under a pumpkin leaf!

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Posted: Sat 01 Aug , 2009 1:07 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

Karma will Brian. :devil:
So, *E, are you going to be inventive and put together an interesting story to explain the scar? Like it was a ricochet from a failed bank robbery, or an injury from a martial art movie that you were an extra in, or you were out camping and this grizzly.....
I hope you get through the inevitable stiffness that follows a day or so after a spill and yes, our outsides do look better for a covering of intact skin.

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Sat 01 Aug , 2009 2:49 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

Ouch. :(

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Rodia
Posted: Sun 02 Aug , 2009 7:14 pm

That was an awesome story. I don't really know what else to say except bikes are cool, scars are cool, riding a bike and falling off is double cool (I almost never fall of because I'm too stupid scared to take risks, though I did crash into a snow bank this winter...but I walked my MOUNTAIN bike down a frickin mountain two weeks ago. What a wuss.) and go you.

BIKES RULE :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Hope you feel better soon. Take pictures please.

[ img ]
Help me go to the North Pole! by Magic Madzik, on Flickr

TRYING TO GET TO THE NORTH POLE! You can help by voting: http://www.blogyourwaytothenorthpole.com/entries/244

Profile Quote
Donernilwen
Posted: Mon 03 Aug , 2009 12:34 am
B77's Crazy Christmas Elf

:Q Stitches??? :hug: Dang, you are more hardcore than I am. Never had them and I always feel like a wuss when I have to admit that. :roll: Same with broken bones. Wuss wuss wuss.:P

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Mon 03 Aug , 2009 1:30 am
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

Don, wow! What a beautiful picture of you! You're gorgeous! :)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
laureanna
Posted: Mon 03 Aug , 2009 3:38 am
Triathlete

I agree the photo is great, but did you get stitches when you ran into that tree? :whistle:

Well, I'm back.

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Posted: Mon 03 Aug , 2009 7:35 pm
bioalchemist

Well done *E*! There's nothing to be embarrassed about so long as you get back on the bike. It's not a real bike crash unless you bleed, rip your clothes, need a new helmet, or need to fix/replace your bike. Or some combination of the above. Bonus points if you have to seek professional assistance for your body or your bike.

I have never had a wipe-out that resulted in me getting stitches. I've needed them a couple times, but once I was in the wilderness and by the time I got out to civilization it was too late and the other time Student Death was closed and I just didn't want to bother with the wait at the urgent care clinic, the insurance co-pay and deductible and god-knows-what else that happens when you cut your finger to the bone with broken glass in a lab. :blackeye: So I just got the bleeding under control and waited for it to heal up.

It takes a long time and the scars come out really ugly. I understand why people get them. The one from the climbing accident is especially gnarly.

As for biking, my most serious wreck was about three years ago when I was a grad student. No stitches. But I did need surgery. Most of my bike-related wipe-outs happen in winter, when I'm covered in layers of clothing. Usually, I don't even do enough damage to myself or my stuff to fit the criteria at the opening of my post. I did, however, have a very scary near miss with a cop when I was in college. Hard to say who was more freaked out - me, or him.

"He attacks. And here I can kill him. But I don't. That's the answer to world peace, people."
-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]
Return to “The Turf”
Jump to: