board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Looking for advice: Home air quality

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]
Wilma
Post subject: Looking for advice: Home air quality
Posted: Wed 09 Sep , 2009 8:34 pm
Takoyaki is love

I have recently moved into a basement apartment for school. I was told it hasn't been lived in a while. It's pretty obvious. It has that very dank damp basement smell and the carpet in the bed room smells horrible. The landlady had said she wanted to clean the carpet (before I moved in), but she didn't do it so I have pressed her into doing it. She also wants to paint the bedroom (which is understandable). Also I am realizing the basement is a bit damp in some areas. I checked walls and stuff so I don't see mould or anything. I looked at a website and it seems I am on the right track with carpet cleaning. I think the carpets are holding in the dampness and the smell.

Considering my sinus issues (precipitated by a chemical burn several years ago), I think I need some sort or air quality appliance. The smell is really bother my sinus and when I stay in the bedroom my nose runs. I know I will need a dehumidifier, and a space heater (for the winter, it will get really cold). But I had also wantted an air purifier especially with my sinus problems.

I started looking for appliances and there are so many different machines. Aren't there some kind of combined machines? Like a dehumifier+ air purifier? Does anyone have any advice on this sort of thing? *confused*

Since I will be buying these appliances myself, I want portable versions. I never really though t about these things although I know when I purchase a house (some time in the future) I need to figure out some kind of central system.

Itoshiki Sensei from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Avatar by: sparklessence

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
elfshadow
Post subject: Re: Looking for advice: Home air quality
Posted: Wed 09 Sep , 2009 11:16 pm
Kill the headlights and put it in neutral

We have a portable air purifier. It's small, about the size of a bathroom heater. I don't know exactly what kind it was but it's very similar to this one, and I'm pretty sure we have the same brand. It seems to work well in small spaces. I think it's meant to be able to cover only one room rather than a larger area.

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Thu 10 Sep , 2009 1:37 pm

I don't have any advice on brands, but when you buy something- make sure it's with a store you can return the item if you don't like it. I had an air purifier in my office for a while, and something about the ozone it produced gave me a constant sore throat. I quit using it after a couple of weeks when I figured out the problem.

A dehumidifier can completely remove the musty smell from a basement, but some people have trouble with the air being too dry.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
BrianIsSmilingAtYou
Posted: Sat 12 Sep , 2009 8:26 pm

Beware of "air purifiers".

Many emit high levels of ozone (which does indeed have the effect of "cleaning" the air and sterilizing), but...ozone is harmful to the human respiratory system, and is one of the primary harmful components of ground level smog.

Ozone high in the atmosphere is good for blocking UV. Not so much when you breathe it.

EPA - Ozone Generators that are Sold as Air Cleaners

There is much more info, but the following is informative:
Quote:
How is Ozone Harmful?

The same chemical properties that allow high concentrations of ozone to react with organic material outside the body give it the ability to react with similar organic material that makes up the body, and potentially cause harmful health consequences. When inhaled, ozone can damage the lungs (see - "Ozone and Your Health" - http://www.epa.gov/airnow/brochure.html). Relatively low amounts can cause chest pain, coughing, shortness of breath, and, throat irritation. Ozone may also worsen chronic respiratory diseases such as asthma and compromise the ability of the body to fight respiratory infections. People vary widely in their susceptibility to ozone. Healthy people, as well as those with respiratory difficulty, can experience breathing problems when exposed to ozone. Exercise during exposure to ozone causes a greater amount of ozone to be inhaled, and increases the risk of harmful respiratory effects. Recovery from the harmful effects can occur following short-term exposure to low levels of ozone, but health effects may become more damaging and recovery less certain at higher levels or from longer exposures (US EPA, 1996a, 1996b).
If you do get an air purifier, make sure that it is one that is ozone free.

BrianIs :) AtYou

[ img ]

My niece, Humera, under a pumpkin leaf!

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Mon 14 Sep , 2009 9:14 pm

Well, that explains it, then! Thanks for the info, Brian.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]
Return to “The Turf”
Jump to: