board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Dairy Rant

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]
MariaHobbit
Post subject: Dairy Rant
Posted: Mon 19 Oct , 2009 3:51 pm

Why am I one of the few people in the world whose lactose intolerance is expressed as constipation and acid reflux? Are those two symptoms listed anywhere on any description of lactose intolerance anywhere? I never considered lactose intolerance before as a possibility for the problems with my digestive tract, but I've been off dairy for 5 days now and my abdomen is completely pain free for the first time in years.

Why aren't these symptoms listed with the others? Is it so rare? Diarrhea is the main symptom and I never get that, so I never even considered that the chronic lifelong constipation problems might be related to my love of milk and other dairy products-- but now that's clearing up, too, now.

If dairy sends my whole GI tract into spasmodic dysfunction, why the heck does it taste so good? Why do I get symptoms that don't match anything *normal* for the condition. Why aren't we told that 75% of the world is lactose intolerant, and that 25% of those of European descent are the same? Lactose tolerance after weaning is a rare mutation, not a normal condition.

How the heck am I going to learn to cook without milk? I tried pancakes this morning made with buttermilk (which should be lactose free) for the first time in 5 days, and I had constant burping with acid reflux all morning. Arrrrgggggghhhhhhh! Now I'm going to have to adjust my favorite pancake recipe for no milk at all- if that's even possible.

And I won't use soy products- they are phytoestrogens and I don't need more hormonal interferance. I'll get some lactaid, for when there is no other choice but I'm going to have to change just about everything about the way I cook. At least with the bakery products. Since this *stuff* causes me so much pain, I see no need to run it through my system anymore. It's not food.

Arrrrrrgggggghhhhhh.... And yes, I discover this a year and a half after I buy some cows that are dual purpose in nature- so that if we need to, we can milk the cows. Fat lot of good that's going to do now. Milk = pain. If I can't even consume buttermilk baked into something, they might as well be beef cattle.

Anyway, I'm glad I figured out the problem, but am frustrated with the solution. As I was considering giving up eating ;) giving up milk (and cheese and pizza! ) isn't that terrible.

But milk was my favorite food. :( How could my body be so wrong?

edit: I thought "who's" looked wrong! I fixed it. :)

Last edited by MariaHobbit on Mon 19 Oct , 2009 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject: Re: Dairy Rant
Posted: Mon 19 Oct , 2009 5:05 pm
Not so deep as a well

See HOF response. Cheese should be okay if it's lactose intolerance. Check the label: no carbs means no sugars, including lactose.

Destiny is a rhythm track on which we must improvise.

In some cases, firing the drummer helps.

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Mon 19 Oct , 2009 6:23 pm

Perhaps milk intolerance would be a better word, since I finally found the actual study and it never says lactose intolerance, just milk intolerance. Or intolerance of cow's milk. Or variations on that...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9770556

[ img ]

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Mon 19 Oct , 2009 9:27 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

Don't they make lactose-free milks? Is there another type of milk, like goat, maybe?, that has lower levels of lactose? Or none? And lactaid is a definite possibility to help you deal with those times when you need to make things with milk, imo. (IOW, make your normal stuff with milk and then use lactaid. But avoid milk by itself.)

?? Just thinking very quickly.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Tue 20 Oct , 2009 1:34 pm

It's beginning to look like an array of food allergies, rather than simple lactose intolerance. I had a completely dairy free meal last night that included common food allergy triggers like tomato, chocolate and peanut butter, and I was miserable all night. All the symptoms returned. :sick: Trial and error is an inefficient way to figure this out. I have an appointment at a Digestive Health clinic next week. They can order a food allergy test done.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Posted: Tue 20 Oct , 2009 4:48 pm
Hasta la victoria, siempre

Be careful. It will probably flag a whole range of things that you are either so barely intolerant of that it makes no difference, or that you're not allergic to at all. You'd be best off taking that list and then trial-and-erroring it.

*~Pips~*

Avatar is a male me, drawn by a very close friend. Just don't ask why.

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Tue 20 Oct , 2009 6:11 pm

I've been reading more about what my symptoms actually match up with, and it looks more like a food intolerance than actual food allergies. And those don't show up on allergy tests. So I'll probably be doing the trial and error no matter what.

Can I photosynthesize, please? :pray:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]
Return to “The Turf”
Jump to: