board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

"Baby On Board" sign

Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 29 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 »
Does a "Baby on Board" sign affect your driving?
More careful

18% [ 4 ]
Less careful

9% [ 2 ]
No change

73% [ 16 ]
Total votes: 22
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Post subject: "Baby On Board" sign
Posted: Tue 22 Dec , 2009 6:06 pm
Insolent Pup

The question is, does seeing a "Baby on Board" sign in a car window affect your driving?

This is stemming from a discussion my gf and I are having and I would like some honest opinions and thought where else can I get more honest than right here.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Rebecca
Post subject: Re: "Baby On Board" sign
Posted: Tue 22 Dec , 2009 6:13 pm

I voted no change. I think they're tacky. :P

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Rodia
Posted: Tue 22 Dec , 2009 6:16 pm

I don't drive, but I've heard people say signs like that are pointless, since you should drive safely regardless of who's in the car in front. But I think that seeing a sign like that is a reminder that there are fragile lives inside a car- after all, what better way to appeal to our protective instinct than by suggesting the young of our species may be in danger? So I think, if I drove, it would affect my driving by giving me a reminder that I should be cautious, much like seeing an accident at the side of the road, or putting a child or fragile object in my own hypothetical car, would too.

[ img ]
Help me go to the North Pole! by Magic Madzik, on Flickr

TRYING TO GET TO THE NORTH POLE! You can help by voting: http://www.blogyourwaytothenorthpole.com/entries/244

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Tue 22 Dec , 2009 6:24 pm
Aspiring to heresy

They're so ubiquitous that I don't notice them any more - so I would say no, it doesn't affect my driving.

I would like to think my driving is safe and careful in any case, but I'm probably just deluding myself. :whistle:

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
sauronsfinger
Posted: Tue 22 Dec , 2009 6:25 pm

WOW!!!! I thought those things were back in another era. Are they really still around? I voted 'no change'.

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs. - John Rogers

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Tue 22 Dec , 2009 6:27 pm
Aspiring to heresy

And another thing - when people leave their babies at home, do they remove the sign? Hmm?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Tue 22 Dec , 2009 6:32 pm

I voted no change, but then I realized I really do drive a bit more cautiously around drivers with that sign. Not because I'm worried about hurting them, but because I realize they are probably terribly distracted drivers because of the babies, and are more likely to make a mistake and cause an accident that harms ME!

So, I avoid cars with signs like that because they are just as hazardous as a car with a "student driver" sign... if not more so. Depends on if the toddler is having a tantrum or not.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Posted: Tue 22 Dec , 2009 7:10 pm
Insolent Pup

For the record, I voted 'no change' because I drive carefully regardless of who's on board.

The 11/3 Project

Profile Quote
Lidless
Posted: Tue 22 Dec , 2009 7:23 pm
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

The only sign that I reacted to was last month in Texas. A parked car had a "God Is Pro-Life" sticker.

So of course I scribbled a note for this ignoramus and attached it to the sticker.

"Have you read the Old Testament?"

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Posted: Tue 22 Dec , 2009 7:41 pm
Daydream Believer

I think their advertising that small children are in the car...hey you want a kid ones in here.

I think most human life is valuable not just young humans. There are some humans I do think should be thinned from the herd, these are the same people who see baby in car signs as an opportunity waiting to happen.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Tue 22 Dec , 2009 7:48 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

I voted "no change," because I try to drive cautiously all of the time. The only sign that affects my driving is "Student Driver," by which I mean, I have more patience with them than just some random old fart who can't drive. :rage:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Posted: Tue 22 Dec , 2009 7:50 pm
Daydream Believer

Student drivers do the same thing to me, I give them a wide birth. This is coming from my own kids learning how to drive not to many years ago, I was praying that other people were giving us plenty of room.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Posted: Tue 22 Dec , 2009 11:58 pm
Hasta la victoria, siempre

Voted 'less careful' (even though I can't drive) because dammit, those things are cliched and irritating. :rage:

Also because they get that damn song in my head. :blackeye:

*~Pips~*

Avatar is a male me, drawn by a very close friend. Just don't ask why.

Profile Quote
elfshadow
Posted: Wed 23 Dec , 2009 1:32 am
Kill the headlights and put it in neutral

I voted no change, because how often do people take those stickers off when their kid grows up?? I know I'd be too lazy to do it, and I bet a lot of other people are that way too. So having a "baby on board" sticker is no guarantee that there's actually a baby in the car. :shrug:

I am, however, terrified of hitting a pedestrian or cyclist. So I subconsciously slow down when I see a crosswalk, whether there's a person there or not, and whenever I pass a intersection or go through a neighborhood I compulsively scan both sides of the street to make sure there's no one trying to cross.

What pisses me off more than ANYTHING about driving is being tailgated. :rage: Normally I am a very polite driver, but when someone tailgates me I turn into a raging bitch. I slow way down, or I tap my brakes if they're getting too close.

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Wed 23 Dec , 2009 2:31 am
Aspiring to heresy

Pips - what damn song?

Elsha - I'm with you on tailgaters - they're the lowest of the low. The closer I get, the slower I drive. If I can't jam on the brakes without you banging into me, then you're too close.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Lidless
Posted: Wed 23 Dec , 2009 7:21 am
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

elfshadow wrote:
What pisses me off more than ANYTHING about driving is being tailgated. :rage: Normally I am a very polite driver, but when someone tailgates me I turn into a raging bitch. I slow way down, or I tap my brakes if they're getting too close.
Ditto. And if it's at a good enough speed, I spray the windshield. Much of it ends up on the car behind. They are not too keen on that - especially if it's a convertible.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Rodia
Posted: Wed 23 Dec , 2009 8:54 am

When I was in California this summer, in the LA and Malibu area, we got tailgated EVERY SINGLE TIME we took a drive. And those are windy, scary coast and canyon roads! I couldn't believe people would do that, I mean it doesn't accomplish anything except putting everyone in danger. Wtf, California?

[ img ]
Help me go to the North Pole! by Magic Madzik, on Flickr

TRYING TO GET TO THE NORTH POLE! You can help by voting: http://www.blogyourwaytothenorthpole.com/entries/244

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Wed 23 Dec , 2009 3:22 pm

A couple of years ago I got a scrolling message license plate holder for my car. I'd intended to program it with a anti-tail gate message- but I decided it would cause more problems than it would solve. It's still sitting in a box somewhere. People are ornery. If you give them a clear message of "please don't tailgate me" they are more likely to scoot closer than back off.

I still tap the brakes and slow down. The windshield washer fluid sounds great, too. :D I'll try that next time.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Posted: Thu 24 Dec , 2009 1:37 pm
Hasta la victoria, siempre

Avatar is a male me, drawn by a very close friend. Just don't ask why.

Profile Quote
Berhael
Posted: Sat 26 Dec , 2009 6:12 pm
Milk and kisses

They annoy me. I have a baby (well, a toddler) and don´t have a baby on board sign in my car. I would think that the child car seat is enough of an indication. An additional sign is presumptuous IMO. And when I drive I don´t notice the signs in other cars, I have far too many other things to pay attention to.

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 29 posts ]
Return to “The Turf” | Jump to page 1 2 »
Jump to: