The Last Homely Site on the Web

A deeply serious post about the UK General Election -- NOT

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]
Di of Long Cleeve
Post subject: A deeply serious post about the UK General Election -- NOT
Posted: Thu 21 Jan , 2010 1:46 pm
Frodo's girl through and through

I thought the denizens of this board would appreciate this one. :D

Britain has a General Election this year. (Groan.) Of course I'm going to vote because I always vote because people have literally DIED so I could have the right to vote. :horse:

So I will vote, even though I have little faith in New Labour and less than that in the Tories. (No idea who I will vote for at this point. Unlikely to be either of those two.) It's an important election as the country is still in recession and we seem totally incapable of handling snow (HAHAHAHAHA) and everything ... er, kind of sucks. (Sobs over the loss of Cadbury's chocolate to another soul-less multinational.)

Anyway, this is absolutely hilarious ...

http://mydavidcameron.com/index.html

For those of you who don't know, David Cameron is the very pleasant and personable leader of the Conservative Party, and an Old Etonian. British cultural references abound here: e.g. Daleks, Father Ted, Catherine Tate (comedienne and one of the Doctor's best companions), Ricky Gervais and The Office, Cameron's use of the word 'twat' on national radio -- yes, really -- and his daft remarks about hugging hoodies. Hopefully this will all make some kind of sense to the non-UKers among you. :D It's very funny.

On a more serious note, I, like many others, was deeply moved and saddened by the Cameron family's great loss last year of their severely disabled son Ivan:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7909562.stm

My sister (a diehard Labourite) wrote a note of condolence to David Cameron and got, she said, an extremely nice message back. Even if it was written by one of his minions, she was touched and impressed by the wording.

So, I do like David Cameron. :) (Even though I am unlikely to vote for his party.) But, in British politics, and in an election campaign, everybody is fair game. ;)

Enjoy. :D

"Frodo undertook his quest out of love - to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could ... " Letter no. 246

Avatar by elanordh on Live Journal

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Post subject: Re: A deeply serious post about the UK General Election -- NOT
Posted: Thu 21 Jan , 2010 2:23 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

I love it Di.

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Profile Quote
nienna
Posted: Thu 21 Jan , 2010 2:29 pm
The best things in life are not things

:LMAO:

Thought Lali might enjoy this one... ;)
[ img ]

There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Thu 21 Jan , 2010 3:10 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

:D

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]
Return to “The Turf”