board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

good careers for an artisan?

Post Reply   Page 2 of 2  [ 34 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2
Nin
Post subject: Re: good careers for an artisan?
Posted: Sun 31 Jan , 2010 5:26 pm
Per aspera ad astra

Party planning is becoming a huge business involving catering, interior design, graphics etc. A degree in hotel schooling is very uselfu lfor lot of jobs later, even though you may not use half of the options and do no management at all. The Swiss hotel schools are all fully overbooked (now they have quite the reputation too). And it means - at least in Europe - knowledge of foreign languages.
Food designers I know work for instance for Nestlé or Procter & Gamble. They work on taste and look of "industrial" food. It's very interesting.
Working as a chef is a nightmare from all I have heard. Unless you become a star like Jamie Oliver, you have to work insanely.

Nichts Schöneres unter der Sonne als unter der Sonne zu sein.
(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
Axordil
Posted: Mon 01 Feb , 2010 2:39 am
Not so deep as a well

RE: steampunk computers.

I think SF posted this here or at HOF or somewhere...anyway, the end product is cool:

http://www.mydisguises.com/wp-content/u ... mputer.jpg

And others:
http://hackedgadgets.com/2009/03/10/ste ... -computer/

The USB drive:

http://www.instablogsimages.com/images/ ... KA9_65.jpg

and the mouse:

http://www.geekologie.com/2008/02/26/st ... ouse-1.jpg

Destiny is a rhythm track on which we must improvise.

In some cases, firing the drummer helps.

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Tue 02 Mar , 2010 5:06 pm

Well, she's changed her major to "Food Science", and apparently there's a good chance she'll get some significant scholarships through the department- as they have lots of dollars available and a small number of students to bestow them on. There are only 65 students enrolled in the Food Science program currently, whereas there are literally thousands in the business college she left.

She was really excited after she talked to the department rep. There are several areas of emphasis she could choose and most of them sound interesting to her. He also told her of a student who spent a whole summer internship baking cakes for a box cake factory. Apparently they were having problems with product performance shipping to a low, moist area and he spent the whole summer trying out different kinds and amounts of leavening until he got the optimum combo right. I had no idea companies like that tailor their products to fit the region they'll be shipped to, but apparently they do. My daughter thought that'd be a great way to spend a summer. :LMAO:

It'd be kinda interesting to take a box cake mix from here when we visit my other daughter next, and see what it does at 6000 feet higher altitude. =:) Probably foam out of the pan! :Q ;)

Anyway, I think she'll enjoy this field. She likes amazing people with good cooking. The other day she asked me for my meatloaf recipe on the phone, and I gave her general guidelines, not actual amounts, but she got the gist of the idea and went ahead and made it -- and apparently her boyfriend was blown away. :D Had never tasted meatloaf that good. It's kinda sad, how few people actually cook these days. :nono:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Tue 02 Mar , 2010 5:12 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

That's great news! I hope she likes it. It sounds like she will.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
elfshadow
Posted: Wed 03 Mar , 2010 1:41 am
Kill the headlights and put it in neutral

Good news! :) We use normal cake mixes here in Colorado, though. :scratch: You just follow the high altitude directions, which normally equate to adding more flour.

Profile Quote
Dawnnamira
Posted: Wed 03 Mar , 2010 1:44 am

But part of food sciences is figuring out how much extra flour is needed. :D

This is a field that's always interested me, keep us updated on what she's learning!

How strange it is to be anything at all

Profile Quote
Amrunelen
Posted: Wed 17 Mar , 2010 4:06 pm
wencherific

Just a little wave from the college students that cook department. ;) No ramen is ever found in our kitchen. :P

Sounds like an interesting career.

I'm nearing my what on earth am I going to do with life stage, soon to emerge with a fine arts education with concentration in interior design and some dabbling in graphic arts. :blackeye:

[ img ]

"Morning has broken and I have felt a presence that disturbs
me with the joy of elevated thoughts; a sense sublime of
something far more deeply interfused, whose dwelling is the
light of setting suns, and the round ocean and the living air,
and the blue sky, and in the mind of man; a motion and a
spirit, that impels." -Wordsworth

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Posted: Wed 17 Mar , 2010 8:07 pm
bioalchemist

Cooking = very forgiving chemistry experiments you can eat without injuring/killing yourself (one hopes). :Wooper:

I have had no issues with getting baked goods to turn out in CO, but I've never tried to bake at an altitude higher than Boulder.

"He attacks. And here I can kill him. But I don't. That's the answer to world peace, people."
-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
Estel Dúnadan
Posted: Tue 23 Mar , 2010 10:36 pm
Revenge of the Salmon

You seem to have a lot of answers, so I hope your daughter can find one that she likes. But why are all the courses at colleges? Don't you have TAFEs or an equivalent there? (They're somewhere to do shorter courses aiming for a particular career.)

But it's only in the US that so few people cook. In Australia, almost everyone cooks most of the time. I know one person who never cooks, but I most people would rarely, if ever, use packet mixes. It is possible to buy pancake mix which you shake up in the bottle it comes in, and packet cake mixes that can also be made up as sauce puddings, but they're far from being the most popular way to make those things. And dinners - when people are in a hurry, they either use a familiar meal plan, or get pizza or something.

(How ironic that I'm reading this thread and forgetting to collect my breakfast of fried leftovers from the stove...)

Mai hiruvalye Valimar!

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Wed 24 Mar , 2010 2:02 pm

I don't know what a TAFE is, so I don't know what it's equivalent would be.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
elfshadow
Posted: Wed 24 Mar , 2010 3:12 pm
Kill the headlights and put it in neutral

Estel Dunadan, there are culinary schools in America as well as vocational schools...is that what you mean? But it sounds like the path that Maria's daughter is taking differs from what a cooking school would offer. I think the food science major is more of a study of food and the food industries, rather than learning how to cook. Maria could probably give you more info on its particulars.

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Wed 24 Mar , 2010 3:28 pm

Yeah, the food science degree would allow her to do research and development into new food products, new ways to preserve foods, inventing new food additives :sick: Invent new and addictive menu items for fast food restaurants.... or a new sort of energy drink ... or a better dog food or a better beer. :shrug: Anything that industry does with food, a food scientist has input into. That's why there's lots of math and science in that degree- it really is a science. Some of them are known as "food engineers". That isn't just a silly way to refer to a chef- they are engineering new products from old and new ingredients to meet specific requirements from the companies they work for, whether it be keeping to a specific calorie count, or replacing transfats with monofats and making it taste just as good. Or figuring out how many different ways to call MSG something different so it doesn't register so high on the ingredients list. :roll: Somebody does that.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Estel Dúnadan
Posted: Wed 24 Mar , 2010 9:38 pm
Revenge of the Salmon

I probably mean vocational schools. TAFE stands for Tertiary And Further Education, and they offer courses to prepare you for a particular career. You can do a Certificate or Diploma course in Horticulture, Children's Services, Hospitality, and many others that I can't think of now.

Yes, cooking is very science. Even at primary- and secondary-school levels and cooking in the home, I've used it as a science lesson for the children I've taught.

Mai hiruvalye Valimar!

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Thu 25 Mar , 2010 1:40 pm

It's not a science to me. I don't measure, I just throw things together in vaguely remembered proportions ---unless it's a recipe for a class of thing I'm not familiar with. Then I might measure, if I'm not sure what the intermediate steps are supposed to look like.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 2 of 2  [ 34 posts ]
Return to “The Turf” | Jump to page « 1 2
Jump to: