board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

The mystery of the UK faucets

Post Reply   Page 3 of 3  [ 45 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3
MariaHobbit
Post subject: Re: The mystery of the UK faucets
Posted: Fri 12 Mar , 2010 9:49 pm

Shampoo is a whole other can of worms for me. :( If I don't use the exact right shampoo, I get all kinds of crusty scabs on my scalp that bleed if you scratch them. For the longest time I was able to use Breck's Herbal Essence without ill effects, but then they changed the formula! :Q So then I had to start a new shampoo search a few years ago. I went through so many bottles of different stuff it was pitiful. I thought maybe the scents were bothering me, so I tried stuff with no scent. I thought maybe it was the chamomile in the herbal essence that my scalp liked, but no- that didn't help.

After a year of trying different stuff, Head and Shoulders came out with a sensitive care formula that works for me. However, Walmart doesn't carry it! The only place I can get it in town is a particular grocery store, and they didn't have it last time I looked for it. :shock: Soooooo, I just bought 4 big bottles of the stuff on Amazon.com and hope that Head and Shoulders isn't phasing that particular product out.

Another soap issue- I used to have acne fairly consistantly until halfway through my thirties when I stopped washing my face each evening with soap. I just started rinsing with water each evening and my skin cleared up! It's hard to argue with that kind of message from your body. Soap is just plain *bad* for my skin. I have to wash my hair every other day to remain socially acceptable, and I use a dab of soap on parts that get smelly at that time, but otherwise I don't touch the stuff. I kind of wish I could get by with oiling my hair like some black people do, I bet my scalp would be much happier with that sort of treatment- but it isn't really an option for blonde/ light brown hair.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Posted: Sat 13 Mar , 2010 11:14 am
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

Slightly O/T but:

[ img ]

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Amrunelen
Posted: Wed 17 Mar , 2010 3:53 pm
wencherific

Mmm...what drove me the craziest about UK sinks was not so much the fact that they had two taps, but then you would occasionally get the ones that automatically spring off too. So you end up one handedly washing each hand in either cold or hot water. :neutral: Similar frustration with the taps we have here in the states with the singular button that you push in the middle to get warm water and it pushes its way back up, stopping the tap when it fully raises. I generally try to move rather quick with that sort but somehow it always seems to manage to turn off after I've reached the soap and go to rinse it off. :shrug:

[ img ]

"Morning has broken and I have felt a presence that disturbs
me with the joy of elevated thoughts; a sense sublime of
something far more deeply interfused, whose dwelling is the
light of setting suns, and the round ocean and the living air,
and the blue sky, and in the mind of man; a motion and a
spirit, that impels." -Wordsworth

Profile Quote
Crucifer
Posted: Sat 20 Mar , 2010 6:32 pm
A song outlasts a dynasty.

The mind does, indeed, boggle. Most taps in Ireland are unmixed, and aside from anything else, it makes it very difficult to get the bath temperature just right! Endless turning on and off of hot and cold almost takes some of the pleasure out of it. But not quite. : )

About 5 years ago at home, we replaced all of our double turn-taps with single lever ones, and honestly, I can't understand why it's not the done thing everywhere...

Sleep is a death; Oh, make me try by sleeping what it is to die.

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Wed 06 Oct , 2010 2:10 pm

My skin and scalp problems described here seem to be over. :) See food intolerance thread! :D *link*

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 3 of 3  [ 45 posts ]
Return to “The Turf” | Jump to page « 1 2 3
Jump to: