board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Fantasy! who, what, where, why? Seeking answers!

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]
Amrunelen
Post subject: Fantasy! who, what, where, why? Seeking answers!
Posted: Tue 16 Mar , 2010 9:31 pm
wencherific

I guess it's been a rather long time since I poked my nose in any message boards anywhere...but now, now I have a favor to ask. I'm taking a fantasy literature class this semester (my last semester!!!!1 :banana: ) and for our next paper we're supposed to interview people on their relationship with fantasy literature. That is why I return to you most excellent and admirable folk, seeking answers.

I've already facebook tackled some people via private messages but now I'm hitting the boards.

So! If any of you would be so willing as to add your voice to my research, I would be most grateful. :heya: :bow: I would've tucked this in the books forum, but I don't think it gets quite as much traffic. And some of the questions may seem silly, but hey...it's what we were told to ask. :P

Any general info such as age, gender, or country would be helpful if you’re willing to share.

How long have you been reading fantasy literature and why or what made you get into it?

What sort of fantasy lit genres do you like especially? (such as sci-fi, high fantasy, etc…)

What are you currently reading (fantasy or otherwise) and why does it appeal to you?

Do you also enjoy fantasy movies?

Can you think of any particular traits or qualities you find common in your fellow fantasy readers?

[ img ]

"Morning has broken and I have felt a presence that disturbs
me with the joy of elevated thoughts; a sense sublime of
something far more deeply interfused, whose dwelling is the
light of setting suns, and the round ocean and the living air,
and the blue sky, and in the mind of man; a motion and a
spirit, that impels." -Wordsworth

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Post subject: Re: Fantasy! who, what, where, why? Seeking answers!
Posted: Wed 17 Mar , 2010 1:38 am
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

Sounds fun! I'll get to it as soon as I have a few minutes. :) Do you want our answers here or via PM?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
Posted: Wed 17 Mar , 2010 4:28 am
Another bright red day

Considering how often I've hit you all to be my research subjects, I feel I should respond.

I am a 22 year old female from New England.

1. Probably since I've been reading. My first sci-fi was "My Teacher Flunked the Planet" by Bruce Coville when I was . . . sixish? Laugh all you want, it's an excellent book. The first real 'fantasy' (non sci-fi) was 'Over Sea, Under Stone' by Susan Cooper which was also brilliant and which I still reread. I think these were both recommendations by friends. I didn't get into Tolkien until the ripe old age of eight, when my mother read The Hobbit to me.

2. I'm really quite particular about my fantasy and not in a genre specific way. For example, I love Neil Gaiman's urban fantasy but am somewhat skeptical of that sub-genre in general. I would also put His Dark Materials into this category (among others) of which I am quite fond. A lot of high fantasy is nothing more than faux-Tolkien, but the good stuff is brilliant. Sci-fi needs more than science to attract me. "The Martian Chronicles" for instance is haunting. I think I actually had a nightmare about it once, though I couldn't tell you what it was anymore. I also don't really like fluff most of the time. I gravitate towards grit and grimness and tragedy or at least a touch of sadness. But really it's all to do with characterization and tone and tight plotting than it is to do with 'type' or 'genre'.

3. I'm part way through Gaiman's "The Graveyard Book" which is utterly delightful. It's a different view of death than you usually get. I think it particularly appeals to me because I loved playing in cemeteries when I was little. Let's be honest, I still love them. Just done with the 1957 edition of "Goodbye to All That" by Robert Graves which is mostly a memoir of his time in WWI. It's well written and bitterly, ironically funny at times when it shouldn't be. I've actually been reading mostly military history for the past year with fiction on the side (one history, one fiction at a time). I also just started All Other Nights by Dara Horn which is based on factual events of the Civil War. It's espionage! And Jews! The Civil War was my first historical love but you rarely hear about the Jews who fought, probably because there weren't very many of them.

4. Yes, but with the same caveat as in the second question. I still haven't seen Avatar for what it's worth. But I loved the LOTR movies for the most part. Serenity was good and Pan's Labyrinth has a sort of brutal beauty that I was found fascinating and difficult to watch at the same time. Can I include TV in here? Because I adore Battlestar Galactica and Doctor Who and Lost along with everything Joss Whedon has done. Frankly, I generally feel that TV is better suited to the medium. A key part of good fantasy is establishing a world and a mythology and using that framework to explore our own world. It's rather Brechtian, the alienation concept. Anyway, my point was that movies have such a limited time that they don't always get to really delve into things. They have to choose more what they want to explore: the world or the themes. Good movies manage to combine both, of course, but it's still much more limited than television.

5. It depends on the fandom and the context. I suppose I might say that they tend to feel more more on the peripheries. Being an outsider almost comes to seem necessary for being an insider in fandom. I almost said that they tend towards cogitation more but I don't think that's unique to fantasy literature and there are some appalling unintelligent fans out there. Honestly, I think generalizing about fantasy readers in general is not particularly useful because there are so many different sub-groups and contexts and ways of interacting with the literature.

(Edited for grammar and clarity.)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Alatar
Posted: Wed 17 Mar , 2010 12:38 pm
of Vinyamar

Would you prefer I respond here or on FB Rune?

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Wed 17 Mar , 2010 2:21 pm

Any general info such as age, gender, or country would be helpful if you’re willing to share. 46 yo female living in the middle of the US.

How long have you been reading fantasy literature and why or what made you get into it? The earliest I can remember is my parents reading "The Wind in the Willows" to me. I was probably 4. Once I started reading on my own, I got started on the works of Edgar Rice Burroughs when I was about 8, which I read and re-read (along with lots and lots of horse books--a different sort of fantasy ;) ) until I discovered the works of Tolkien at about 11. I haven't read or watched much of anything besides fantasy and sci fi since then.

What sort of fantasy lit genres do you like especially? (such as sci-fi, high fantasy, etc…) I like urban fantasy right now. Magic set in our day and culture makes it seem much more real. Sword and Sorcery are OK once in a while, but I often find myself getting pissed off at subservient female roles in that genre.

What are you currently reading (fantasy or otherwise) and why does it appeal to you? I haven't been reading books much for over a year now. Since I prefer to do things with my hands while experiencing a story, I've found that audiobooks are the perfect medium for me. We're trying out a new author right now, Alex Bledsoe in his book "The Sword Edged Blonde". It's OK so far, but not near as good as "The Dresden Files" or the Harry Potter series. It's an attempt to plunk a detective story into the sword and sorcery genre and sometimes it's not such a good fit. Even though I like the reader and have heard him in several other books (he reads Orson Scott Card's books, which I also love) I keep getting sleepy while listening to him this time. :scratch: Weird. Anyway, a good reader can make or break an audio book, so it's interesting to find that that the reverse is also true.

Do you also enjoy fantasy movies? Yep. I don't watch much of anything else. Fantasy and sci fi. I'm more into TV series than movies right now, but that's kind of the same thing. I just got over a major Buffy addiction, and we just finished the Smallville series, are in the middle of "Dark Shadows" and are starting the X files & Hercules now. We also regularly watch re-runs of all the Star Treks, Highlander, SG1, Farscape, Dr. Who, Torchwood, Babylon 5, and probably some others I've forgotten to mention.

We are also watching "Bones" now, which only barely qualifies as sci fi because of the computer imaging software they use and their holographic equipment. I almost feel guilty about that one... but it's good. :)

Can you think of any particular traits or qualities you find common in your fellow fantasy readers? Most have an "N" in their personality types. Sure, there are some "S" fantasy fans out there, but they don't tend to get as obsessive about it.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Amrunelen
Posted: Wed 17 Mar , 2010 3:29 pm
wencherific

Thank you Mossy and Maria.

Alatar, whatever suits your fancy. I'll be looking around both places. ;)

Lali, right here or in a PM or on facebook. Whatever you feel up to. :)

Thanks again. :D :D :hug:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Posted: Thu 18 Mar , 2010 4:52 pm
Hasta la victoria, siempre

Any general info such as age, gender, or country would be helpful if you’re willing to share.
Twenty, female, UK mongrel. Bisexual as well - another demographic which definitely influences my choice of reading material.

How long have you been reading fantasy literature and why or what made you get into it?
Since I was a tiny child. My dad wasn't always a very hands-on parent, but he'd sit in the rocking chair in the corner of the room every evening, and take us through his old favourites, chapter by chapter. We had all sorts of things, including Santa Claus in Summer, Fattypuffs and Thinnifers, and, of course, The Hobbit.

What sort of fantasy lit genres do you like especially? (such as sci-fi, high fantasy, etc…)
I'll take anything, but it has to be well-written.

What are you currently reading (fantasy or otherwise) and why does it appeal to you?
All sorts of things. I follow a lot of manga, such as Bleach, Nana and Kimi wa Pet ('Tramps Like Us'). I love the diversity of story and character types in manga. It's generally not hampered by the same kind of constraints as western literature; for example there is a strong tradition of positive portrayal of gay characters, and there are strong and weak men and women in major and minor roles. Of course it has its own problems, but... it's nice to have a different perspective on fiction.
Novelwise... currently reading Cloud Atlas, which is pegged as gen-literature, but actually seems very fantastic to me. It's extremely clever and interesting, but I actually picked it because it has a pretty cover. Reminded me of some other books which I really enjoyed. Also reading Conflict Resolution in the Twentieth Century and Female Masculinity which, as I'm sure you can imagine, aren't just for leisure.
I've also recently finished The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, which was pressed upon me by a friend. Very classy. Ambitious. I liked its meta-fictional ideals. Also, I read half-a-dozen volumes of Dykes to Watch Out For, which my dissertation supervisor lent me when we found that we were both into gay-interest comics. The webcomic Hanna is Not A Boy's Name is a pretty pure fantasy idea, in terms of characters, but the execution is very slick and modern. The art and my girlfriend's recommendation drew me in.
To answer the question a little more directly... I've always read fantasy and sci-fi, and it's always been around the house. I was encouraged as a child to read anything I felt like, so when I was very young I followed Piers Anthony's Xanth series. I started on Discworld when I was eight, and I've been supported by my family, who like to discuss the books en masse, buy each other the new ones for presents, and even took me to meet the great man himself. (I was terrified). I read The Lord of the Rings at ten, because all my peers were, and Magician at about eleven.
The only book I was ever told not to read was Birdsong. I was probably about twelve. I'd just finished 1984 and White Teeth, and I was pretty peeved to be told that there were things which I wasn't deemed old enough to understand.
Oddly, because fantasy always been around me, I don't really seek it out, unlike a lot of people. I don't distinguish that much between fantasy and 'straight' books. The fantasy section of bookshops always looks badly-designed to me, and I tend to pass it by. Too much black, too many swords, awful cliched titles. But when I actually do pick up newer fantasy books, I really love them. Fortress in the Eye of Time turned me vegetarian. The Lies of Locke Lamora had me on the edge of my seat. I know there's great stuff out there, and I'm really looking forward to educating myself further with great modern fantasy.

I don't... dislike them on principle. But I dislike anything which feels inauthentic, plasticy, or Hollywoodised. The LOTR films were very close to greatness. Watchmen was beautiful. But I wouldn't have dreamed of going to see Arthur (is that what it was called? The thing a few years ago with Kiera Knightly and her shopped boobs). I don't go to watch many fantasy films, but I don't watch many live-action films altogether. In fact, the last pure 'fantasy' film I saw in the cinema must have been Gedo Senki, the really not-very-good anime adaptation of Earthsea. :shrug:

Hope... that's helpful? :scratch:

ETA: Missed one. "Can you think of any particular traits or qualities you find common in your fellow fantasy readers?"
I think Mossy nailed it, better than I ever could. I guess if I'd come to the question without reading anybody else's response, I'd say that they tend to be more bookish generally. Less casual readers. Often interested in language or history, and enjoying the fantasy genre as an extension of those interests.
One thing I can't get over is people who read fantasy novels in their second language. The only other person I know who reads Locke Lamora is a first-year Norwegian dude who's on the committee of my anime society. (I think he's vice-president now. I'm social secretary, which is kind of an oxymoron). But he must be mad anyway, since (and this is his first time living in the UK) he's taking a degree in English Literature. And I know for a fact that the first year course includes stuff as heavy as Sir Gawain and the Green Knight. Now there's a baptism of fire.

ful clene
for wonder of his hwe men hade
set in his semblaunt sene
he ferde as freke were fade
and oueral enker grene

*~Pips~*

Avatar is a male me, drawn by a very close friend. Just don't ask why.

Profile Quote
Amrunelen
Posted: Thu 18 Mar , 2010 5:52 pm
wencherific

Mmmm yes....looks like another meaty answer. Thanks Pips. ;)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Thu 18 Mar , 2010 6:23 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

38, female, USA

I guess since the time I could read. I like a wide variety of literature, including fantasy and sci-fi. As I've gotten older, fantasy, sci-fi, classics, and historical fiction are about the only fiction I typically read. As a child, the spirit of imagination in the usual fantasy book really resonated with me. I also liked that it was different and unique from what the majority of my female friends read. I chose to write fantasy and sci-fi for creative writing assignments, as well.

I like sci-fi and high fantasy. I would read anything if it was well-written. I don't like books that are extremely dark and nihilistic, though.

Princes of Ireland by Rutherfurd--I like it because it's historical fiction about Ireland.

4 books about the Christian faith & living--I'm always looking for inspiration and direction. (1 is by Henri Nouwen and 1 is by Madeleine L'Engle.)

Alison Weir's book about Anne Boleyn--I have a fascination with British history.

The Blythes Are Quoted by Montgomery--I'm not liking this one too much. :( You can easily tell why it never got published, but I feel like I owe it to Montgomery to read it, as I love her other books.

I guess I don't have any sci-fi/fantasy books on my nightstand at the moment. I recently finished Kristin Landon's series, The Hidden Worlds. I have Tolkien's Sigurd and Gudrun waiting on my shelf. And I'm going to look for Lawhead's book about St. Patrick.

Yes, usually. Fantasy is one of my favorite genres. I'd choose it any day over the typical movie (particularly "chick flicks").

Can you think of any particular traits or qualities you find common in your fellow fantasy readers?

It may be self-flattery, but most fantasy readers I know have an above average intelligence level. They tend to be good writers, as well, so there's an affinity for language present.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Alatar
Posted: Thu 18 Mar , 2010 9:12 pm
of Vinyamar

To keep this an unmuddied sample, I'm not reading other peoples entries, so hopefully this isn't overly repetitive (or wildly contradictory).

Irish Male, aged 41

As a child, I'm sure I read many novels that would qualify for the label of Fantasy, notably some Tarzan and Biggles novels that stretched credibility more than a little. However, I think my first proper foray into Fantasy would have been Watership Down, by Richard Adams. It was certainly the first book that captured my imagination in that way that has now become familiar. That sense of transportation to another place or time. I read it 4 times in the space of a year or two, when I was maybe 10 or 11 years old. My sister then got a box set of Tolkien one Christmas with the intriguing title "Stories from the Third Age". Of course the novels were The Hobbit and the three volumes of Lord of the Rings. I read the Hobbit almost immediately, but my sister refused to let me read Lord of the Rings until she finished it first. As a result I had to wait a few months till I could get the books from my school library. The Hobbit had a profound effect on me. I cried when Fili, Kili and Thorin died. No book had ever done that to me before. Of course, Lord of the Rings was just another level entirely. It was as close to a religious experience as anything else. I couldn't get enough of it. I read it about 20 times in the following 10 years. So, to answer your question, I've been reading Fantasy for about 30 years now, and Lord of the Rings was the trigger.

Primarily High Fantasy with detailed world building, but also some Sci Fi and of course Terry Pratchett, which is more parody couched as Fantasy.

Just finished reading Watchmen by Alan Moore and am in the middle of Guards Guards by Terry Pratchett. Watchmen appealed to me simply for the sheer ambition of the title. Guards Guards is a book I missed out on first time round and am now rediscovering one of my favourite book characters out of order.

Yes, for the most part, but its frustrating that so few of them live up to their potential.

I find that most tend to be introverted, although there are some exceptions, myself included. They tend to be more intelligent than average, but that may simply be the fact that readers in general skew that way. Unfortunately, love of fantasy doesn't seem to equate to any particular political ideology, although there does seem to be a higher preponderance of what the US would call Liberals (and everyone else on the planet calls centrists!). ;)

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
Pippin4242
Posted: Fri 19 Mar , 2010 1:10 am
Hasta la victoria, siempre

Alatar, for the record, is the second person in this short thread to use the word 'ambitious' to describe the works of Alan Moore. :D

*~Pips~*

Avatar is a male me, drawn by a very close friend. Just don't ask why.

Profile Quote
Lily Rose
Posted: Wed 24 Mar , 2010 1:09 am
stranded in dreamland

I am a 31 year old female, and your average American. I am the mother of three and step-mother of 4. I live in Port Republic, Maryland.

I have been reading fantasy literature since I was old enough to hold a book and understand what those markings were on the pages. My first taste of fantasy of any sort was the poetry of A.A. Milne, and Robert Louis Stevenson. These wonderful poems were the perfect stepping stones for CS Louis and The Narnian Chronicles. I remember that my mother read these to me when I was in eye therapy as a small child. I read the series myself by the time I was in 2nd grade.

I like a little bit of all of it. I favor High and Historical fantasy, but I also like some sci-fi and urban, as well. As a young child, I loved Norton Juster's The Phantom Tollbooth. I think that the series that I have read the most would be Lloyd Alexander's Prydain Chronicles. When I was a child, my parents didn't have a whole lot of money for books. However, I kept the series checked out for about two years straight. More recently Eoin Colfer's Artemis Fowl series are a rather interesting gander into the mind of a young criminal, along with every stereotype that originates in Ireland. These series' are geared towards younger readers, but are still interesting for adults.
Though I am not a big fan of Louis L'Amour, I thing that The Walking Drum is a wonderful historical fantasy, taking place in Brittany in the 1200's.

I have most recently read Sarah Douglass' The Troy Game series. Also, I am reading Frank Peretti's This Present Darkness and Piercing the Darkness. I am not really into the religious part of it, but I think that the possibility of what could be happening in other dimensions is fascinating.

I like some fantasy movies. Some are too cheesy and goofy for my taste. I generally don't like the movies that are based on video games. I like spoofs and parodies, like The Princess Bride and Robin Hood: Men in Tights. I thought that King Arthur was beautiful, if a bit cheesy. LOTR was, of course, epic and memorable. The first Highlander movie, and then the following series are my favorite bits of Urban fanstasy, and I used to watch The X-Files faithfully.

We tend to be nerdy, and many of us are gamers as well. We are intelligent, and tend to have exceptional vocabularies. We tend to keep to our own circle of geeks, and play nerdy games like Magic: The Gathering or World of Warcraft.

I don't have faith in faith
I don't believe in belief
You can call me faithless
I still cling to hope
And I believe in love
And that's faith enough for me

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]
Return to “The Turf”
Jump to: