Paris in stunning high definition

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]
Jude
Post subject: Paris in stunning high definition
Posted: Mon 22 Mar , 2010 12:04 am
Aspiring to heresy

Check this out:

http://www.paris-26-gigapixels.com/index-fr.html

You can navigate using the arrow keys, or click the navigation buttons on the screen with your mouse. You can zoom in and out. It's almost like being there!

Oh, and you can click the speaker symbol if the music annoys you :D

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject: Re: Paris in stunning high definition
Posted: Mon 22 Mar , 2010 12:11 am

Jude wrote:
Oh, and you can click the speaker symbol if the music annoys you :D
One should never be annoyed while listening to music from the Amelie soundtrack. :pout:

Profile Quote
elfshadow
Posted: Mon 22 Mar , 2010 1:24 am
Kill the headlights and put it in neutral

That was fantastic! :D

Though I still find stereotypical French music a bit meh...sorry Yov. :P

Profile Quote
laureanna
Posted: Mon 22 Mar , 2010 1:47 am
Triathlete

Clicking on the little British flag in the upper right hand corner is useful for monolinguists.

Well, I'm back.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Mon 22 Mar , 2010 12:09 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

Indeed.

That being said, I think it's cool. I'm still kind of meh on the whole Paris and France thing, though. If they had one for Dublin or London or something, that would be really cool.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Mon 22 Mar , 2010 2:32 pm

I saw Paris in really high def about 23 years ago, and it wasn't that interesting. Well, I admit I was heavily pregant at the time, which probably caused most of my bad moodiness, but still- it's just a place. :shrug: The only mildly interesting pic we took was of me dragging my big belly up the eiffel tower steps, because I wouldn't wait for the elevator. And that's just fun because it means we can tell my daughter she went up the Eiffel tower as a fetus. :suspicious:

Very little made by man can hold my attention for long. I had more fun walking through a remnant of wild rain forest on Barbados admiring the very tall trees than I did in the Louvre, or that palace at Versailles. Well, except for my youngest daughter's unexpected centiped-o-phobia. That was awkward.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Mon 22 Mar , 2010 2:44 pm
Aspiring to heresy

You walked up the Eiffel Tower? Was this one of those outdoor staircases that you can see the gap between the stairs, like fire escapes?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Mon 22 Mar , 2010 6:36 pm

We didn't walk all the way up,
wikipedia wrote:
The tower has three levels for visitors. Tickets can be purchased to ascend either on stairs or lifts to the first and second levels. The walk to the first level is over 300 steps, as is the walk from the first to the second level. The third and highest level is accessible only by lift. Both the first and second levels feature restaurants.
I think we only did the first level-- I don't really remember. :scratch: No, it must have been up to the second level, because we stopped when the only option was elevators and I refused to stand in line. I really don't remember. I was a bit out of breath, but was also in very good shape at the time- so we might have gone up to the second level. :shrug: I sure don't remember 300 steps per level, though, but I was young and strong back then. I wouldn't have remembered the strain unless it was truly terrible. I don't remember getting tickets, either. Maybe that's been implemented since then?

That was our first vacation together, and we hadn't figured out that you really ought to have people you know in the photos you take, so 90% of the pictures we took are of famous landmarks and objects, with absolutely nothing personal about them at all. :nono: Might as well be poorly done travel guide pics. We did better in Barbados in our next vacation a couple of decades later. 90% of those photos are about our family in a strange place, rather than just about the strange place itself.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
nienna
Posted: Tue 23 Mar , 2010 5:50 pm
The best things in life are not things

Paris is beautiful...one of my favourite cities. But you can't appreciate it from those views, you need to experience it at street level too.

There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Tue 23 Mar , 2010 6:30 pm
Aspiring to heresy

I agree - you need to sit at an outdoor café and watch the world go by.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
eärendil
Posted: Fri 02 Apr , 2010 5:06 pm
citoyenne du monde

There is nothing stereotypical about Amelie's music, it is just music for a movie... Now you like the music or not but really ;)...

It is like saying that listening to the music of Avatar is stereotypical of American music it does not make much sense. It is just because Amelie is one of the few French movies that made it to the US. But if you want some typical French music, you'd listen to La Mome (or La Vie en Rose in its English version ;))

For some reason I can't see the link, I guess it is too heavy. As far as I am concerned, I have never more appreciated Paris than since I re-discovered it with my beloved who had never been there before we started dating.
This Xmas vacation we walked around some of the less well known streets and neighbourhoods of the city & there are some marvels of architecture out there... But life is what is best :D :D
I love my city even more since I don't live there anymore :roll: and I am actually thinking of going back, go figure ;) :roll:

I Endure in order to Reflect
Transcending Order
I seal the Matrix of Endlessness
With the Cosmic tone of Presence
I am guided by the power of Spirit

Who can say if I've been changed for the better, but
Because I knew you,
I have been changed for good

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]
Return to “The Turf”