board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Stumbleupon

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 18 posts ]
MariaHobbit
Post subject: Stumbleupon
Posted: Wed 19 Jan , 2011 3:59 pm

I really like stumbleupon.com. It's a site where you sign up and list your preferences, and then the site provides you with article, pics and videos you might like.

So far, I've really liked about 80% of what it shows, and the rest is OK.

You can "follow" your friends, too, and see the things they've found.

It's like having a magazine available that exactly suits your preferences.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Post subject: Re: Stumbleupon
Posted: Wed 19 Jan , 2011 5:27 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

I always wondered what that was but never investigated. Interesting.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
yovargas
Posted: Wed 19 Jan , 2011 10:36 pm

I've always avoided it because it sounds like it could suck you into the internet forever. :P

Profile Quote
Eruname
Posted: Wed 19 Jan , 2011 11:34 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

yovargas wrote:
I've always avoided it because it sounds like it could suck you into the internet forever. :P
Yup. It's kinda like an internet slot machine. :P Just one more...one more...well another! I swear just the one more!

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Thu 20 Jan , 2011 3:18 am

:uhoh: Oh dear, then I'd better stay away. I'm already quite good at procrastinating on the internet.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Thu 20 Jan , 2011 7:19 pm

I hit a streak of bad ones yesterday, and couldn't seem to stop hitting "Stumble" over and over again, until I hit something interesting.

My husband signed up and the first thing it showed him was an electromagnetic gun! :Q I had no idea they were even close to making something like that yet, but there it was.

I like the site. It alternately stretches my mind and then melts it to goo with cute animal videos. :cow: Sometimes at the same time like this Porcupine who thinks he is a puppy! A porcupine???????? :Q :suspicious: :) :LMAO:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Posted: Mon 24 Jan , 2011 9:49 pm
You are hearing me talk

It can suck up a lot of time if you let it, but there are all kinds of great websites on my regular rotation that I never would have discovered without it. And I get to feel ahead of the curve too; I hardly ever see an interesting "look at this great website/picture!" post on facebook or one of these boards that SU didn't find for me weeks or months earlier.

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Thu 27 Jan , 2011 9:28 pm

OK, I'm sticking this link here because while I do want to go through these, I don't want to say I like it on stumble because I don't know if I like it or not, yet. And I'm not sure how to get back to things on stumble if you don't "like" them.

Greg Rutter's Definitive List of The 99 Things You Should Have Already Experienced On The Internet Unless You're a Loser or Old or Something

http://youshouldhaveseenthis.com/

[ img ]

Profile Quote
elfshadow
Posted: Fri 28 Jan , 2011 4:13 pm
Kill the headlights and put it in neutral

Someone told me about stumbleupon about a year ago and I thought it was really cool. Then I clicked the link and found that now you have to sign up for it! :( That was kind of off-putting. I don't think I'll start using it again.

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Fri 28 Jan , 2011 7:14 pm

How could they keep track of your preferences and favorites if you don't sign up? :scratch:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
BrianIsSmilingAtYou
Posted: Sat 29 Jan , 2011 7:52 pm

MariaHobbit wrote:
How could they keep track of your preferences and favorites if you don't sign up? :scratch:
By using cookies. That is what cookies are for.

People complain about cookies a lot, but they are actually much more anonymous than being forced to sign up for something (particularly since cookies live on your computer, and sites only have access to them when you go to the site that the cookie is associated with.)

------------------------------

Some sites also use "flash" cookies, which can store a lot more data, (and which cannot be removed through the "delete cookies" option on your browser).

Flash cookies are a back door that a lot of sites use to store data, and they are often used as a "shadow copy" of "real" cookies, to restore the cookies after you delete them. Tricky, eh?

BTW, You need to go the the Flash Settings Manager storage tab to remove Flash Cookies.

http://www.macromedia.com/support/docum ... ger07.html

Or, on your local PC, you can go to C:\Documents and Settings\[USER NAME]\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\[Randomly named folder] and delete them.

You may want to do this periodically as well, because the Flash Settings Manager does not always remove everything.

You may also want to periodically clear the following folder, which is a kind of cache for various flash objects.

C:\Documents and Settings\[USER NAME]\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\macromedia.com\support\flashplayer\sys

[ img ]

My niece, Humera, under a pumpkin leaf!

Profile Quote
elfshadow
Posted: Fri 04 Feb , 2011 6:52 pm
Kill the headlights and put it in neutral

MariaHobbit wrote:
When I used it, Stumbleupon didn't have features like that. You literally just clicked a button and a random cool webpage popped up. I liked it better like that. I wouldn't want my preferences saved.

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Posted: Fri 04 Feb , 2011 7:35 pm
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

MariaHobbit wrote:
Sometimes at the same time like this Porcupine who thinks he is a puppy! A porcupine???????? :Q :suspicious: :) :LMAO:
Lurve that video! It and another cute porcupine are posted on the second-last page of the cute animal thread, just sayin'. :D

Thanks for explaining what stumbleupon does - it's something that I've heard about but didn't know if it was like College Humor or Google's "I'm feeling lucky" button, etc. If it means actually following b77ers from time to time, I will try joining. :P Gotta clear out the bookmarks first, though: almost at 11,000 now. :bang: I make such an effort to delete stuff, too!

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Fri 18 Feb , 2011 10:02 pm

OK, I'm stumped. How does this work????? :scratch: Apparently I'm normal-- in this respect at least.

http://www.wilk4.com/humor/humorm208.htm

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Fri 18 Feb , 2011 11:45 pm

I think it has to do with the most common answer to the question they ask at the end, and I suspect it's completely unrelated to all of the other stuff they asked. That's just my opinion.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Estel Dúnadan
Posted: Sat 26 Feb , 2011 5:06 am
Revenge of the Salmon

I've received similar things by email, and I never "got" them. I also never thought of the predicted item, and I very much doubt that the figure of 2% is accurate.

Mai hiruvalye Valimar!

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Posted: Sat 26 Feb , 2011 11:04 am
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

Lame, I like when they give some sort of scientific explanation for "your" reasoning, even if it's total bullshit. Like the paragraph where all the words are misspelled though you still manage to read it correctly cuz the first and last letters in each individual word are the same so apparently our brains are able to figure that one out with relative ease.

This one just made me think I developed mild dyslexia from starting with the larger number, typically on the right side of the equation, while doing additions.

The vegetable question made me think frog while picturing broccoli. Have fun with that one, professor. :nerd:

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Crucifer
Posted: Sat 18 Jun , 2011 3:22 am
A song outlasts a dynasty.

http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/1mdqjK/ww ... ideos/517/

"AH KNOW MAH RAAAGHTS!"

Wasn't sure where to put this, but seeing as I stumbled upon it, it seemed as good a place as any! If there's a cop thread (Freddy might know...) it might be best there. :)

Sleep is a death; Oh, make me try by sleeping what it is to die.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 18 posts ]
Return to “The Turf”
Jump to: