3-6 moderate hazard

86% [ 6 ]
7-10 high hazard

0% [ 0 ]
Total votes: 7
MariaHobbit
Post subject: Re: Is your shampoo safe?
Posted: Fri 11 Mar , 2011 7:05 pm

Yeah, if you are already committed to using red zone products, there's no point in looking up anything.

Profile Quote
Meril36
Posted: Fri 11 Mar , 2011 10:45 pm

0-2... because I've weaned myself off of shampoo entirely and as soon as my current bottle runs out, will be off of conditioner too. It took about three weeks of being off shampoo for the oiliness to clear up, but clear up it did and now my hair feels quite clean with just a good hot water rinse. My scalp no longer drives me nuts with itchiness and I think my hair is even getting stronger. So hooray for my body's natural oils.

Trying for profundity only limits depth.

With all the anger in the land, how long before the judgement day? Before we cut the fat ones down to size? Before the barricades arise?

Visit my art gallery at deviantART.

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Posted: Sat 12 Mar , 2011 1:52 am
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

MariaHobbit wrote:
Yeah, sorry about that. I just copy/pasted and didn't check for symbols that didn't carry over. :oops:
Not at all! I'm just not a science person and the idea of water melting made me think that perhaps the little fluffies that filters, well, filter out, were supposed to melt until invisible to the naked eye. Or something. :P

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Sat 12 Mar , 2011 4:28 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

Meril, what does your hair look like? I can't imagine not washing it.

Oh, and my mom used to rinse my hair in vinegar, too. It made it very shiny, like a brand new copper penny.

Did a bunch of posts slip in here somehow between other posts, or did I just miss them the first time around? :scratch:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Meril36
Posted: Sat 12 Mar , 2011 4:52 pm

LalaithUrwen wrote:
Meril, what does your hair look like? I can't imagine not washing it.
For about three weeks it felt oily and sort of... tacky...? but then it cleared up and now it's not much different than when I was washing with shampoo, except that my scalp no longer itches and my hair seems stronger and possibly a little curlier at the ends. It's not like I'm not cleaning it - I just rinse it well with hot water, combing through it with my fingers. The natural oils secreted by the scalp are the body's way of keeping it clean anyway.

With all the anger in the land, how long before the judgement day? Before we cut the fat ones down to size? Before the barricades arise?

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Posted: Sat 12 Mar , 2011 5:02 pm
I've cried a thousand oceans, and I would cry a thousand more if that's what it takes to sail you home.

Wish I could try that, but I'm an oily sucker and have found that if my hair gets wet but not shampooed, it's as good as slathering crisco in there. :nono: I bought a hairbrush that will hopefully distribute oils a bit better, if not solve the greasy appearance, and massage my scalp as a bonus. :P

Could be made of barbed wire, will keep posted. :uhoh:

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
TheMary
Posted: Sat 12 Mar , 2011 8:31 pm
I took the stars from my eyes, and then I made a map, And knew that somehow I could find my way back; Then I heard your heart beating, you were in the darkness too - So I stayed in the darkness with you

*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R* wrote:
Wish I could try that, but I'm an oily sucker and have found that if my hair gets wet but not shampooed, it's as good as slathering crisco in there. :nono: I bought a hairbrush that will hopefully distribute oils a bit better, if not solve the greasy appearance, and massage my scalp as a bonus. :P

Could be made of barbed wire, will keep posted. :uhoh:

*E*
I can relate. I have a friend can go days without washing her hair and it looked normal. I'd have a grease pit on my head and I know the natural oil on our scalp is good but I could never get it to work for me. So I have to wash my hair everyday or else look greasy.

So my face wash is red, but my shampoo is yellow. I also frequently change my shampoo but I suspect I will always be in the yellow. What are some green shampoo and conditioners?

Lay down
Your sweet and weary head
Night is falling
You’ve come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore

Why do you weep?
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see
All of your fears will pass away
Safe in my arms
You're only sleeping

Profile Quote
Meril36
Posted: Sun 13 Mar , 2011 2:51 am

Did either of you ever try sticking it out for at least three weeks, though? It was tough for me too at first, but I decided to go for it because I was sick and tired of my scalp itching, and so-called "moisturizing" shampoos and conditioners did nothing.

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Posted: Sun 13 Mar , 2011 11:04 am

If not that long, than pretty close. Thanks for teaching me useless things about myself, depression. ;)

In all seriousness, I don't have a problem with itchy scalp except at some points in the winter. Even dandruff isn't what it was. Thinning hair and greasy scalp accounts for 95% of my frustration. I actually hate how my hair and skin feel after a shower, though, so while it's nice to freshen up, I am most comfortable on the day after a shower. I assume there's an optimal amount of grease on my scalp to not feel gross yet, but far from... disinfected? I don't know, even without scrubbing hard, I think our water is just rough on the skin; it feels softer the next day. I wash every two days, people, if you're worrying. :P Three days it pushing it, the first day kind of sucks, and two is best.

Lately, I've been using the Squeaky Green shampoo from Lush and holy crow, my scalp doesn't start getting greasy until the fourth or fifth day. And it's not like that first wash feels as if you're cranking it to 11 or anything (Selsun Blue never stung, but it sure as hell felt like medication). Unfortunately, the magic rubbed off once I was showering with Ontario water, but back home in New Brunswick again, and it's wonderful.

So many elements to dick around with. :P

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Riverthalos
Posted: Sun 13 Mar , 2011 4:54 pm
bioalchemist

I've gone three weeks without washing my hair. It was pretty nasty, but I wasn't bathing or showering either. More recently, I went about a week without a wash, just a daily (or twice daily) rinse with some freshwater, but between the freshwater rinses I was snorkeling in the sea. In the photos from that trip, there's a pretty obvious transition in the texture of my hair as the salt accumulated. It didn't feel very good under a brush or in my hands either. But it wasn't anywhere near as gross as the three-week mountaineering trip.

"He attacks. And here I can kill him. But I don't. That's the answer to world peace, people."
-Stickles Shihan

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Mon 14 Mar , 2011 2:10 pm

TheMary wrote:
... What are some green shampoo and conditioners?
If you go to this website http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/ and click on the dropdown menu for hair, it will list a jillion products with the least toxic scorers first.

I've got some shampoo bars on order, but started washing my hair with bar soap just to get started. Washing with soap makes the hair so squeaky clean it's hard to run my fingers through it while it's still wet, but doing a vinegar rinse afterwards makes the texture almost normal. The first time I did it, I was worried about dryness and tried using olive oil as a conditioner- but that left my hair really oily, even though I rinsed a lot afterwards. I kept it that way all weekend in a long braid, and it felt damp to the touch well after all the water dried out. I don't like the feeling of oiled hair, even though it makes it incredibly shiny. The thick braid gleamed when I'd pull it around to look at it.

So last night I washed all the olive oil out of my hair with soap and did the vinegar rinse, and my hair looks normal. It's a bit harder to brush out without a coating of conditioner on it- but do-able.

I may try just rinsing the hair. I don't like how the oils from my head never make it more than a few inches down the hair shaft. I'm not sure if the vinegar is necessary if soap isn't used ?

Profile Quote
TWT
Posted: Tue 15 Mar , 2011 3:55 am
Wembley bound

I use solid shampoos and conditioners from lush. :oops: haha

Yes, lush is the bomb. Especially for straight guys like me cause I walk in there with my v-neck and skinny jeans I usually wear and the cute female staff think I'm gay and proceed to sample all the products on me. It's rather funny. :)

But back to shampoos. I used the herbed green solid shampoo from lush and love it. Since I have shortish hair a bar will last me like a year. It smells nice and doesn't have that bad chemical agent most shampoos have that causes them to lather (mostly for effect from what I gather). I sometimes buy their avocado solid conditioner. If not I always make sure I buy some good brand that contains avocado. I like the feel of the natural oils it puts in my hair.

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Posted: Tue 15 Mar , 2011 4:26 am

TWT wrote:
I used the herbed green solid shampoo from lush and love it.
This stuff, TWT?

[ img ]

That's my Squeaky Green!

I've been really happy with how clean it does actually keep my hair. Like I said, big greasebag here, so I'd wash every two days just to keep up, but that shampoo seems to do its job instead of simply staving off the inevitable.

Plus it amuses me that there are pine needles in it, so after a shower, there are bits of that and what looks like earth scattered around the floor. Makes me feel like an Ent or something, where such signs mean you're part of nature rather than making a yucky mess. :P

I think the smell has gone out of it by now, but it was nice those first several weeks when the bathroom smelled amazing after each shower. Even my dad would comment. (I've gotten him onto Lemony Flutter Cuticle Butter btw. He'd use it more often but for all the work traveling where he's afraid of ever losing it to customs.)

[/Lush thread]

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
TWT
Posted: Tue 15 Mar , 2011 4:45 am
Wembley bound

*E* you fucking made me laugh so hard with the ent comment. My grandpa once thought that it was a veggie dip. That led to quite the laugh-fest.

That's defiantly the shampoo though. I always thought those were Rosemary needle-leaves not pine-needles. Which one of us is right? :shrug:

I actually came across it when looking for something both solid and natural to take on a backwoods camping trip (where you can only bathe in the lake). I haven't looked back since. I did learn with it that you can only wash your hair (or maybe it was only mine) two to three times a week or else it kills too many of the natural oils that keep hair healthy. The people from lush told me something along the same line as well. Not to wash more frequently than every two or three days I think.

Profile Quote
Amrunelen
Posted: Tue 15 Mar , 2011 5:02 am
wencherific

Hmm...my V05 shampoo and conditioner are both around 6...but for 89 cents a bottle and liking how it leaves my hair feeling, I'll take the risk. :P The only thing I spoil myself with on occasion is LUSH. :love:

I was a bit surprised to see the rating of the LUSH stuff they have on there... 5 for Jungle solid conditioner (which I am enjoying right now :D ) and 5 for the Karma shampoo bar, among other things. Aqua Marina facial cleanser has a good score.

Last edited by Amrunelen on Tue 15 Mar , 2011 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[ img ]

"Morning has broken and I have felt a presence that disturbs
me with the joy of elevated thoughts; a sense sublime of
something far more deeply interfused, whose dwelling is the
light of setting suns, and the round ocean and the living air,
and the blue sky, and in the mind of man; a motion and a
spirit, that impels." -Wordsworth

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Posted: Tue 15 Mar , 2011 7:06 am

TWT wrote:
I always thought those were Rosemary needle-leaves not pine-needles.
Quickly before I pass out - I suck at different plant names, so I see those little needles and think of Christmas trees. No doubt it's something else. :uhoh: Especially since the smell doesn't add up, now that I think about it.

I only know Rosemary from the small twig I took from Tolkien's grave. Forgot it was a spiky one, though!

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Amrunelen
Posted: Tue 15 Mar , 2011 4:31 pm
wencherific

I'd say it's rosemary. ;)
Quote:
Dandruff-busting rosemary.

Beat flakiness and purify skin with rosemary, nettle and peppermint. Your hair is immediately transformed by the antibacterial tea tree. It really goes back to the basics of effective hair care.
Nettle has prickly leaves too I think, but the stuff in the bar is probably the rosemary. I tink they stopped making one of my favorite ones of those....Jumping Juniper. :(

edit:

FEH! Alright...so they still sell it in the UK, but not on North America. :P

[ img ]

"Morning has broken and I have felt a presence that disturbs
me with the joy of elevated thoughts; a sense sublime of
something far more deeply interfused, whose dwelling is the
light of setting suns, and the round ocean and the living air,
and the blue sky, and in the mind of man; a motion and a
spirit, that impels." -Wordsworth

Profile Quote
TheMary
Posted: Tue 15 Mar , 2011 7:42 pm
I took the stars from my eyes, and then I made a map, And knew that somehow I could find my way back; Then I heard your heart beating, you were in the darkness too - So I stayed in the darkness with you

Some Lushies complain about LUSH using Sodium Loral Sulfate so that's probably why they are in the yellow.

Lay down
Your sweet and weary head
Night is falling
You’ve come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore

Why do you weep?
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see
All of your fears will pass away
Safe in my arms
You're only sleeping

Profile Quote
Estel Dúnadan
Posted: Fri 18 Mar , 2011 4:31 am
Revenge of the Salmon

*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R* wrote:
I only know Rosemary from the small twig I took from Tolkien's grave. Forgot it was a spiky one, though!
You mean you don't cook with rosemary? You don't have a bush in your herb garden? How do you survive? :)

Mai hiruvalye Valimar!

Profile Quote
*E*V*E*N*S*T*A*R*
Posted: Fri 18 Mar , 2011 8:03 pm

No, no, and somehow. ;) But I did notice some rosemary in the kitchen while I was looking for oregano the other day! I don't think we're really an herb kind of family. :scared: Dad puts spices on pre-cooked meat, but we were never taught what all the other stuff was for. It just wastes space in cupboards and drawers.

Except for the cayenne pepper. I've enjoyed recipes that call for that. :P

*E*

[ img ] For always.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 2 of 3  [ 41 posts ]
Return to “The Turf” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 »
Jump to: