The future of board77

Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 33 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 »
Jude
Post subject: The future of board77
Posted: Mon 30 Jul , 2012 2:56 pm
Aspiring to heresy

... if we have one :Q

Folks, we need to decide what to do. I'm sure you've all noticed that the board has been less busy of late. Much less busy, in fact. So my question is - do we continue?

I, for one, would be very sad to see this board die. We've made friendships here, learned about each other's lives, and had serious and light conversations. But we have to face the facts: is there enough interest to continue?

We need to come to a decision sometime before our next bill is due (in September, I think). So, if you've been lurking silently, now is the time to chime in. We need to hear from you.

Last edited by Jude on Sun 23 Sep , 2012 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
De-stickied

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Post subject: Re: The future of board77
Posted: Mon 30 Jul , 2012 3:10 pm
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

I will say more or less what I said to Jude yesterday.

I don't mind contributing to the b77 fund, but I can't justify paying for all of it when only a handful of us post regularly. It makes me very sad to come to this point, to think about all of those posts and words and thoughts lost forever. (Or stuck in a backup of the database anyway on my hard drive. ;) )

But, unless something changes, it seems like this is the path before us. At least we'll have a chance to make that backup before the plug gets pulled, unlike TOB. :(

Or maybe everyone can start posting again and all will be well? :Wooper:

ETA: You'll see I changed this to an announcement. I want as many people to notice it as possible.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MariaHobbit
Posted: Mon 30 Jul , 2012 3:27 pm

I'll contribute. Sorry for not speaking up sooner, but -- you know--- serious health issues can be kind of distracting. :uhoh:

Profile Quote
vison
Posted: Mon 30 Jul , 2012 5:54 pm
Best friends forever

As I've said to you on the phone, with one or two exceptions (you, Jude, :hug: being one) everyone else I like to post with is at Hall of Fire.

Hall of Fire has its flaws, as I've said, but on the whole it suits me better than B77 and that's just the way it is.

:hug:

Living on Earth is expensive,
but it does include a free trip
around the sun every year.

Profile Quote
jewelsong
Posted: Mon 30 Jul , 2012 5:58 pm
Just keep singin'!

I haven't been here for ages...in fact, according to the stats, it's been about a year and a half.

The genesis of b77 was controversy. The original board was designed to keep some people out, while allowing others to gossip about them. That was the singular and most unique feature of the board, the thing that made it different than other messageboards. The board gradually morphed into something else...but in my opinion, the taint of its origins never quite left. In addition, it always seemed to me to be a "younger" (less mature?) crowd...rife with ribald humor and sexual innuendo. That aspect also gradually changed, but it was part of the original "ethos" of the board. And there were several "board blow-ups" that caused people to leave - some for good. Insults and accusations were hurled around like so many mudpies. Some people eventually returned, but again, the damage had been done.

My personal feeling is that messageboards have a life-span, some long, some not-so-long. People come and go for various reasons. Life interferes, interests changes, relationships evolve...whatever. I hold no particular animosity towards anyone on b77 - quite the contrary - but I don't feel a part of any "community" here and have not for a very long time. I used to check quite frequently, even after I stopped posting regularly...but gradually that stopped, too.

I wish everyone the best, whatever you decide to do about the "future of board77!"

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Mon 30 Jul , 2012 6:25 pm

Thank you guys for your input. :) I do appreciate it.

Jude is our outlier, though there may be more. (Silwen is one I can think of who doesn't post at HoF. I'm not sure about TORC. TheWatcher? Others?) If I know I can talk to my friends on either TORC or HoF, then I am somewhat at peace if this board dies.

I don't like posting on TORC, but I will if that's where others go.

So, for me, the bottom line is not losing touch with people I care about. It's why I post at HoF. It's why I post here. It's why I still pop in and post from time to time on TORC even.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Alatar
Posted: Mon 30 Jul , 2012 8:13 pm
of Vinyamar

At this stage the only reason I post here is for Jude. Everyone else, I think, is on HoF. However, if for whatever reason Jude is not comfortable posting on HoF, I'll help to keep this place going.

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Tue 31 Jul , 2012 6:04 pm

:hug: That is sweet, Alatar.

Several people have weighed in on HoF, and I appreciate that.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Posted: Tue 31 Jul , 2012 6:10 pm
You are hearing me talk

My posting in general is way down from where it used to be across all the boards where I'm registered (ironically, I'm probably most active at TORN right now). But b77 has probably seen the sharpest decline for me, both in terms of reading and writing. In my case I don't think there's any intrinsic reason for that--just the positive feedback loop that sets in when silence discourages people from saying anything. It's worth noting that TORC and HoF are both less active than they used to be too, though neither one is questioning whether it's worth continuing to exist (as far as I know).

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Fri 03 Aug , 2012 6:55 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Thanks everybody for your input.

If any more lurkers care to contribute, I'm certainly listening :poke:

Edit: I mean "contribute" as in opinion, of course; I'm not talking about financial contributions!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Berhael
Posted: Tue 07 Aug , 2012 11:32 pm
Milk and kisses

B77 means a lot to me, and I'm rather ashamed when I realise that I haven't posted in... forever. I'll be happy to contribute financially to keep it going (Paypal, I assume? Or is any other international form of payment possible?), and will try to keep posting a little, when I have time. I seem to have channelled my free time (when 2 children allow it) into Facebook and a community of like-minded mums, but I'll try my best, for the sake of what this board means to me. :)

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Wed 08 Aug , 2012 1:10 am
Aspiring to heresy

Beeeeeeeeeerrrrhael!!!!!!!1111111 *smooch*

Um - two children?

You really should pop in here more often :poke:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
yovargas
Posted: Wed 08 Aug , 2012 2:03 am

Jude wrote:
Beeeeeeeeeerrrrhael!!!!!!!1111111 *smooch*
:yes:
Jude wrote:
Um - two children?
Jude wrote:
You really should pop in here more often :poke:

Profile Quote
Berhael
Posted: Wed 08 Aug , 2012 8:24 pm
Milk and kisses

I know - one minute I'm child-free, then I have Alex, and then I go and pop out another one! :Q Amazing for someone who didn't really like babies... ;)

I'll post a bit more about her in a more personal thread. :)

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
Silwen
Posted: Fri 10 Aug , 2012 3:45 pm
DomiKNITrix

I like B77 even though I don't post much anymore, but I do read whenever I get notifications. I am on TORC, though only in one thread, and not an HOF. I think I still have a profile there though, come to think of it, I just never felt at home there at all. I was on TOB and just realised it might have stopped. :Q Shows you how infrequently I went there. So of all the boards I am a member of, B77 is the one I visit most often. I like that you can be yourself here, speak the way you want to, and that we have been around for so long too.

However, I can't afford to contribute financially, so if that means the board will be shut down at some point, I can understand it very well. I will just have to follow you elsewhere! ;)

Abso-knitting-lutely! The knitting blog.

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Mon 13 Aug , 2012 7:04 pm
Aspiring to heresy

So, it looks like board77 will be continuing. Alatar has generously offered to provide free hosting on his personal account. So, if I understand correctly, our only cost will be the annual renewal of our domain name at joker.com, which is 12 USD per year.

It may be a scaled-down version of the board - because of our reduced membership and posting activity, there's no point in continuing with rotating rangers. Also, we may need to restructure and possibly combine some of our fora.

Hopefully there won't be any downtime as we move and the whole thing will go smoothly. More announcements to follow...

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Silwen
Posted: Mon 13 Aug , 2012 8:03 pm
DomiKNITrix

That's wonderful news! Thanks, Jude and Alatar!

Abso-knitting-lutely! The knitting blog.

Profile Quote
Eruname
Posted: Mon 13 Aug , 2012 9:35 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

That's excellent news! How very kind of Alatar!

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
Berhael
Posted: Mon 13 Aug , 2012 10:11 pm
Milk and kisses

Oh, wonderful news! Thank you both! :)

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Tue 14 Aug , 2012 12:08 am

:toast: for Alatar!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 33 posts ]
Return to “The Turf” | Jump to page 1 2 »
Jump to: