board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Computer help?

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]
Leoba
Post subject: Computer help?
Posted: Wed 24 Nov , 2004 9:52 am
Troubadour of Ithilien

I know, I keep starting the threads here. All those secret spammy tendencies cannot be hidden. :mrgreen: But I need some help from those people wiser than I in matters computing.

My Norton virus definitions live updater stopped updating a week or so back (on 20th October). I think I installed Norton around October last year, which might explain it, but my subscription service says it runs until 2nd February.

In the meantime I'm being cursed with pop-ups (AdAware and SpyBot aren't even keeping them at bay for more than 24 hours now) and the internet is starting to run slower and has frozen up on us a few times in the past week. I ran a search for EXE files the other night out of interest and found about 30 or so that had downloaded themselves since 13th November. They have been deleted, but there are still advertising things on my C Drive that I can't seem to budge (BullsEyeNetwork and WindowsAdControl).

Thus I ask for help. I guess I need to see what's up with Norton in the first instance - am I missing anything really obvious? And I've a feeling there must be a virus of some sort in here somewhere - how the heck to I find it so I can go download the tool to remove it?!

I feel so ignorant. :oops:

Also found on Facebook - hunt me down via the MetaTORC group.

[ img ]

I just adore the concept of washing Dirty Horseboys!

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 24 Nov , 2004 10:00 am
Milk and kisses

Ack Leoba - I had exactly the same. I don't have much time now (am woefully late for work), but I tried and tried and didn't get anywhere. :bang: The only solution that was left to me was using Firefox instead of IE, which works just fine.
More later.

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 24 Nov , 2004 10:11 am
Troubadour of Ithilien

Thanks Berhael. I've been having a look at information about Firefox - the only question is - if it stops ActiveX controls from being loaded (which I read it does) will that affect my ability to access Gmail? I can't currently access that from work because of the strictness of the system.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 24 Nov , 2004 10:22 am
*Ex-Admin of record*

Do you have the free add-aware? If not you can down load it here
It really does help with spy-ware programs and also pop-up blocker (just remember to once in a while update it for free)

Strange that your subsricption to Norton says Feb and you can't update it. Best thing is to email the service desk with your reg number. However, I guess that if you've installed it in Oct - then it's mostly likey it ran out in Oct and that Feb thing is a glitch.

Hope that helps a bit :)

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 24 Nov , 2004 10:43 am
Milk and kisses

Still not at work. ;)

I can access gmail with no probs with Firefox. It's very pretty, user-friendly and also a big two-fingers-up at Gatessoft. :twisted: The only minor problem I'm having with it is about pop-up control; I used to have a handy pop-up blocker on Explorer but it's a bit more obscure with Firefox.

As for the ad-hijacking, I posted on a Free Software thread in Talk about it because I strongly suspect that it was some form of adware that caused the problem, but then I'm visrtually computer-illiterate.

Have a search for that thread (I think it was either Squiddy's or wilko's), there are some nifty tips in there.

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 24 Nov , 2004 11:29 am
Troubadour of Ithilien

Alandriel, I have AdAware and SpyBot. Neither are much help now.

This is getting worse BTW. I've now got something called 'globalEaccess' inserting itself into my dialup options and I keep having to choose 'BTInternet Explorer', even so, my homepage default seems to be this 'globalEaccess' site instead of TORC. :cry:

I'm actually rather amazed I got on here - after many attempts!

Am going to try and download Firefox, but am worried I'll only end up making things worse. So if I vanish from communication, that's why.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 24 Nov , 2004 11:33 am
Milk and kisses

Argh. You've been hijacked. :(
Definitely try Firefox. It'll automatically download your bookmarks from Explorer too.
Good luck.

:hug:

Profile Quote
Rodia
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 24 Nov , 2004 11:41 am

I use Firefox at home and it doesn't have problems with Gmail. I think I had to install something (or maybe not?) but it worked just fine. The only site it had problems with was shockwave.com and some games but you can always keep IExplorer...in fact you should, just in case some website refuses to work with anything else.

Firefox rocks.:)

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 24 Nov , 2004 12:00 pm
Troubadour of Ithilien

Ok. Going to try this. I hope I'll be back. :mrgreen:

Done and feeling suitably Foxy. Keep your fingers crossed for me that this helps. I am soooooooo sick of pop-up adverts for crap.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 24 Nov , 2004 5:32 pm
Milk and kisses

You know what's the only drawback of Firefox?

I keep calling Flying Fox Firefox now. :roll:

:wink:

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 24 Nov , 2004 8:00 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

Oooh! I'll be able to point you in the direction of some help since my comp got messed up last year as well. But right now I have to run off to take my kittens to the vet. I'll be back to help you later! :D

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
EdaintheRanger
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 24 Nov , 2004 9:59 pm
The Red Fox

Ahh Norton Anti virus is not that good really.

I'm no computer whizz, but my brother knows a little of that arcane art, and you can get a good freebie anti virus checker called AVG.

I had that after my Norton ran out and it busted a load of viruses and spy wear, plus a trojan horse that Norton missed. If your internet slows down that can be a sign that you have some undesireable cookies and such. Or you could just need to defrag your harddrive.

AVG is provided by grisoft and they are based in the Czech republic apparently...

We need courage, faith and Chocolate Cake.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]
Return to “The Turf”
Jump to: