The Last Homely Site on the Web

New book by L. M. Montgomery - "The Blythes are Quoted"

Post Reply   Page 6 of 10  [ 183 posts ]
Jump to page « 14 5 6 7 810 »
Jude
Post subject: Re: New book by L. M. Montgomery - "The Blythes are Quoted"
Posted: Thu 30 Apr , 2015 12:02 am
Aspiring to heresy

I re-read a couple of the stories from The Blythes are Quoted, and then re-read this whole thread from the beginning. Man, do I ever miss being able to talk literature with vison.

Lali, did you ever get the new version of Rilla of Ingleside? As I said earlier, I'm sure that the one you have is the abridged version.

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Thu 30 Apr , 2015 1:42 am
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

No, I haven't read it. I need to do that!

And, yes, I also miss vison terribly, for many reasons and discussing literature is one of them.

:(

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Tue 12 Jan , 2016 8:16 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Anne of Green Gables set for new life on CBC-TV
Quote:
Production for an initial eight episodes is slated to begin this spring, with an eye on a 2017 debut — more than 30 years after CBC-TV first brought Anne Shirley into Canadian homes with the miniseries Anne of Green Gables.
Although this quote is a bit concerning:
Quote:
A female-led team of award-winning producers has signed on to create a new version of the Lucy Maud Montgomery classic simply entitled Anne, which will follow a similar storyline to the original novel about the spirited 13-year-old but also "chart new territory."
What do they mean by "follow a similar storyline"? Are they not using the original story?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Tue 12 Jan , 2016 8:33 pm
A green apple painted red

It will be like the original story but with more sex and violence? :shrug:

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Wed 13 Jan , 2016 4:45 am

:suspicious: :Q

Maybe there will be zombies.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Wed 13 Jan , 2016 12:08 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Zombies that pride themselves on speaking their mind.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Mon 05 Dec , 2016 4:18 pm
Aspiring to heresy

More about the new cable series (the first eight episodes have already been filmed!):

CBC article

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Tue 14 Mar , 2017 2:01 am
Aspiring to heresy

World premiere of the new series coming 19 March!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Fri 17 Mar , 2017 2:30 pm

I can't watch the video. Is this the same version that has Martin Sheen in it?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Fri 17 Mar , 2017 3:21 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Do you mean the video's not available in your country, or you don't want to watch it if it has Martin Sheen?

I had a look at the cast list on IMDB, and didn't see Martin Sheen there.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Fri 17 Mar , 2017 5:49 pm

I mean, it won't play for me. I guess it's a country thing. ?? It just says it's unavailable.

There was a recent version that was on PBS that had Martin Sheen as Matthew. It was...odd. This does appear to be yet another version. I hope it's better than that last one!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Fri 17 Mar , 2017 6:00 pm
Aspiring to heresy

I hadn't heard about that other one. Did you watch the whole thing? Was it good, despite being odd?

One quibble about the current series I have is that they seem to have either updated the setting by a decade, or just didn't do their research properly. There are other trailers available on youtube, and one of them had her first day at school. They sang "God save the King" instead of "Queen".

[ img ]

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Fri 17 Mar , 2017 6:43 pm

I didn't catch the whole thing, maybe 2/3 of it. It was okay. It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't great either. They updated the speech quite a bit to make it sound downright modern. I felt that was odd and really missed the mark on one thing that sets AoGG apart. It was also very condensed, iirc. I tried to look for it to be on again, but I never caught it.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Fri 24 Mar , 2017 4:01 am

So here is a review by a Canadian author I really like (Sarah Bessey):

I finally had a chance to watch the first episode of the new CBC Anne The Series last night. I don't mind admitting that I was suspicious of the adaption and inclined to dislike it. My expectations were somewhere around that third Anne movie which shall not be named (I mean, they put Anne and Gilbert into the First World War and WE ALL KNOW THAT IS RILLA'S TIMELINE).

So yes, I fully expected to hate it and show up here to lament with you, my friends.

And yet....I liked it.

No, it's not the 1985 movie adaptation of the original book which is still the gold standard. That spot in our hearts is sacred, obviously. But.... I really liked it. And the more I think about it, the more I like it.

This version is fresh and updated, it's bold and reinvented. You have to admit that it takes some magic to make this familiar story and well known dialogue feel brand new and exciting - after all, as fans we have whole passages memorized! - and yet somehow they manage to do it.

It's beautifully shot, of course, and several scenes are an absolute work of art. That opening credit with the song "Ahead by a Century" by the Tragically Hip was legit inspired.

The young girl who plays Anne (Amybeth McNulty) is a brilliant choice in particular and probably is the highlight of the whole episode to me. She's physically more like how Anne is described in the books, that's for sure - almost other-worldly, alien in her earnestness and her scrawniness and her big eyes that are too much for every adult to look into, always prompting comments on her appearance by the look of her. She captures the subtext of Anne and truly communicates how weird she was, how out of step, how damaged, why she was off-putting to the grown-ups around her. Anne made people uncomfortable because she was a lonely, desperate, longing, hungry - likely abused - child who is suffering.

Rather than making her precocious and endearing, they made Anne real: why does she imagine so much? why does she talk like she's filling dangerous silence? why is she so desperate for a bosom friend? People in Avonlea thought she was weird, she didn't fit with how they were and this is why. A lot of Montgomery's audience would have been able to fill in the context for why Anne was the way she was (and why - as she becomes loved and attached some of those quirks were integrated in a more healthy way) but we aren't able to fully understand the time period without this. There are definitely some hard scenes to watch that are technically "out of canon" but they are strongly implied by the books. Now we understand why Anne is the way she is. We understand the raw desperation behind her eyes, her hunger for love.

The Anne we all grow to love is in there - we can see her, just as Matthew and Marilla can see something in her that Rachel Lynde and everyone else can't see - but it is going to take love and security to make her whole.

This version of Anne is closer to the books, in my opinion, at least here in the beginning. We'll see if they can keep pace with her for the growing-up experience. I can't tell you how nice it is to see Anne and Diana as the children they actually are, too, instead of as sixteen-year-olds-playing-twelve-year-olds. They are children and we see that more clearly. We see the difference between their families, we see how harshly people judged orphans and considered them outsiders, we see the difference between how Anne grew up and how Diana grew up. We even see how quickly Anne attaches to Diana as a symptom of who she is - a kid hungry for love and too quick to jump to talk of soulmates because she's desperate for connection. We see that it wasn't even necessarily Diana she loved - it was the idea of a FRIEND she loved and Diana just happened to be willing.

Other highlights: Matthew, as always, is the heart of the show. I have always loved R.H. Thomson as an actor (shout out to the other "Road to Avonlea" watchers who know him as Jasper Dale) but he can communicate more in a look than most actors in a whole monologue. I liked the new Marilla and the new Diana as well as the new Rachel Lynde. I've always felt Rachel has a heart of gold though and this Rachel came across a bit too harsh without that redeeming quality coming through - she is equally loving and aggravating, and here she was more harsh and aggravating.

There were definitely a few points I didn't love in the moment but after the show ended and I thought it over, everything they changed made sense and enriched the story. So I'm open to whoever Jerry Baynard's presence even if I'm giving it some side-eye still.

I'm not too sure about the next episode since they have departed from the book pretty heavily by the looks of the previews obviously but I'll reserve any suspicion - after all, I'm eating humble pie here already so I need to stay open to being pleasantly surprised again.

What about you? What did you like? dislike? love? hate?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Fri 24 Mar , 2017 9:39 am
Aspiring to heresy

Wow. Now I'm really looking forward to it.

I'll probably have to wait until the DVD comes out, though.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Alatar
Posted: Fri 24 Mar , 2017 10:39 am
of Vinyamar

I've never read Anne of Green Gables. Should I?

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
Jude
Posted: Fri 24 Mar , 2017 10:58 am
Aspiring to heresy

Yes, of course!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Frelga
Posted: Fri 24 Mar , 2017 2:26 pm
A green apple painted red

Yes, and so should your children.

Lali, that sounds great, actually.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Sat 25 Mar , 2017 1:49 pm

I don't know how the book would come across to you, Al. It is one of my absolute favorites that shaped my entire life, quite honestly. However, I read it as an 11-year-old girl.

(My mind wandered off here for like 5 minutes, trying to think of what else I wanted to say, maybe something about the books that shaped my young life. I don't know. At the end of my rabbit trail, I have decided I am rereading A Wrinkle in Time* tomorrow on my rest day. :D Carry on!)

*They're making this into a movie, filmed in NZ. :)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Posted: Thu 06 Apr , 2017 3:22 am

Sarah tells me that Netflix is releasing the series in May! I will have to investigate this.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 6 of 10  [ 183 posts ]
Return to “Literary Rambles: There & Back Again...” | Jump to page « 14 5 6 7 810 »
Jump to: