board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Anorast's Adventure Services

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ]
Guruthostirn
Post subject: Anorast's Adventure Services
Posted: Wed 01 Dec , 2004 6:19 pm
That Weird American

OOC: This is a thread for adventure mini-Rp's. Rp chat threads are alright, but sometimes it's fun to go off and do things without it being a whole RP.

---------------------------

It was finally done. Anorast looked around the small office, and finally out to the swinging board sign visible through the front window. It wasn't much, but the old elf knew it would be enough.

"So, Boss, how much will I get paid?"

Anorast looked over at the speaker with a raised eyebrow. A young woman sat behind the reception desk. Slightly wavy brown hair fell to her shoulders.

"Don't worry, I was just kidding," said Synthia. She rolled her eyes. "Volunteer position with the perk of going on adventures, yes, I know."

"I'll be in my office," replied Anorast, knowing he was starting a joke that was sure to become standard. All the rooms his small business had was the front, which was the waiting room, the reception desk, the records storage, and every other administrative role, including his own desk, the back room, which was the armory, currently stuffed with every weapon and form of protection he could get his hands on, and the restroom. It was all he could afford. Minas Tirith, even in the outer ring, was incredibly expensive to own property in.

"Let me know when someone comes in?" Anorast called over his shoulder as he settled down at his desk. Picking up a map he began to plan possible quests and adventures.

"Thanks for yelling in my ear, Anorast," replied Synthia, who barely had to lean her chair back to look at what the old elf was reading. "But yes, I'll wake you up if anyone comes in."

That crazy American Jerk...

"No stop signs, speed limits, no body's gonna slow me down..."

"You can run, but you'll die tired." -- What the archer said to the knight.

Profile Quote
Synthia
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 19 Dec , 2004 7:48 pm

Frowning, Synthia picked up the list of possible trips that Anorast had listed. None interested her. She knew there were few trolls left in Mordor worth hunting; she herself had helped exterminate the last of the despicable creatures. Dragon hunting was pointless, and the dwarves would be after the company for encroaching on their territory. The young woman's eye stopped on infiltrating Moria for a bit, but she moved on, for she knew that expedition would have to wait until they had a large customer base willing to die in spectacular ways.

Exploring the catacombs of Dol Guldur?

"Anorast?"

"mmph. Wha?"

"I thought Dol Guldur was razed to the ground in the War?" Synthia shook the list over her shoulder, knowing Anorast would spot it. "Why did you list looking at the catacombs if they aren't there?"

"Well, you sure the elves were that thorough?"

"Anorast, you know how effective your race is at cleaning up a mess," Synthia replied, exasperated. "They would not have left anything."

"Still, it might be interesting to see the ruins," Anorast said, a hopeful note on his voice.

"You're hopeless."

"Yes, yes I am," answered Anorast. "Hopelessly bored."

Synthia snorted, then looked at the list again. Catacombs. Where had she heard that word recently? It wasn't last night at the bar. In any case, her memories of last night weren't that clear. What could it be. Oh, yes, the Tower Guard last time she'd visited her friends up there. The captain had told Synthia that they'd discovered a door in the old vaults beneath the Tower. He'd said there were mentions of a warren of passages beneath the city.

"Anorast, what about a different set of catacombs?"

"Huh?"

"Well, not catacombs, but secret passages."

"Where?" Anorast replied, straightening up in his seat.

"Here."

"Here?" asked Anorast, a bit taken back. "In Minas Tirith?"

"Yep," said Synthia with a grin. "There might be a way in from our own basement."

She turned her chair around to look at Anorast. The elf was still. Then he began to grin.

"Make a sign," ordered the old elf. "'Wanted: Adventurers! Quest in planning.' I'll check the basement. Synthia, I think we've got a job!"

This is an RP character of Guruthostirn.

Profile Quote
Donernilwen
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 23 Apr , 2005 12:53 pm
B77's Crazy Christmas Elf

'Wanted: Adventurers! Quest in planning.'

"Sounds promising," Fey thought. "but when does this "quest" start? That may be the problem."

A young woman contemplated after noticing the sign while coming through an alleyway across the street.

"Not much to lose I guess." She concluded as she shot a nervous glance back down the alley and then warily looked again towards the office.
"Right, here it goes." She said taking a deep breath and stepping out into the street looking straight ahead with a forced air of confidence.
She managed across with little hindrance besides a couple of nods in hello to people in passing and one "pardon me".

Reaching the door, after what seemed like an eternity, she brushed herself off, tried to fix her strawberry blonde hair and then opened the door.

The office was, to her surprise, completely empty except for one Woman sitting behind a desk.

"Erm...am I in the right place?" She said approaching the woman. "I came in regards your sign."

Profile Quote
Synthia
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 23 Apr , 2005 3:32 pm

Synthia jumped slightly when the bell on the door rang. It was the first time she'd heard it from the inside. Quickly she looked up and saw a young blonde woman looking around nervously.

"Erm...am I in the right place?" she tentatively asked Synthia. "I came in regards your sign."

"This is the place!" Synthia practically shouted as she jumped up to greet the young woman. "If you want adventure, we're the people to talk to!"

The young woman was definitely a bit shy, Synthia decided. The stranger had backed up slightly when Synthia got up, but seemed to pull herself together enough to reply.

"Yes, adventure would be nice," the woman answered. "When is this 'quest' supposed to start?"

"Good question," answered Synthia. She turned about and spoke out loudly. "Anorast! Any luck?"

From out of the back, and also from beneath their feet, the two women heard the reply: "Not yet...aha! Jackpot!"

Synthia looked back at the woman and said, "I do believe we'll be starting as soon as possible."

The woman looked at Synthia. "Don't you need to tell your other adventurers know you're starting?"

Synthia laughed, a clear, ringing sound. "You're our first customer. We're not waiting for anyone else. I'll leave a sign if anyone else wants to join."

Synthia walked behind her desk and sat down, and had soon whipped up another note: Adventure in Progress: Come on in and we'll be back shortly. After that Synthia sighed and pulled out a large packet of papers.

"Now for the stupid legalities," she said with another sigh. "Your name?"

This is an RP character of Guruthostirn.

Profile Quote
Donernilwen
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 23 Apr , 2005 4:36 pm

"I'm the first?!" She began panicking in her head.

"Three will never do the job...that is, even if the woman behind the desk AND the man whose voice could be heard from the other room were both going to come." She reasoned.

Her thoughts were broken when, "Your name?" brought her back to the present.

Um, yes, I'm fey. I don't know, this just doesn't sound like the right thing for me at this time.." She rambled off as she backed her way towards the door. "and besides, you probably don't REALLY need me-"
She stopped as she reached the door and saw two rough men outside across the street talking to each other. One pointed down towards the other side of town and the other pointed towards the office she was currently standing in.
She froze, eyes widening.

The woman behind the desk looked a bit taken aback and confused at how fey was acting.
"Are you feeling alright?" She asked as she slowly stood up.

Fey mumbled to herself then quickly turned back.
"Yes! I'm feeling great." She said trying to stay as far away from the window as possible.
"Now that I think of it,.... an....an adventure sounds like fun."
Her eyes were now scanning the room for a closet or hiding place of some sort, until the men had passed by.
"Yes....yes, excellent fun.... Here! let me take those forms for you. I'll fill them out in here.She said as she grabbed the packet of forms, stepped into the next room, shut and locked the door behind here.
"No, don't go in there-"

"Thank you so much. I'll just be a minute!" She called back through the door.

"Aha!" She said as she noticed a window on the opposite wall. Throwing the papers aside, she leapt up on a chair and proceeded to try to open the window.

"Excuse me! PLEASE open this door right now!" Called the woman while pounding on the door.

"Hold on, the door is stuck!" Fey cried back. "Pft, this window is stuck dang it!" She said lowly.

"Young lady! There WILL be consequences if you do not open this door immediately!"

"I've almost....got....it!"
just as she had spoken, the window popped open and fey forcefully fell backwards onto the floor.

"Aghh..." She groaned a few seconds later, as she came to.

After just lying there for minute, staring straight up, she realized she was looking at someone.
The elf smirked at her look of bewilderment.
"Need a hand up?"

"I don't know...." She said rubbing her head and looking around.
She took his hand anyways and got up.
"Thanks." Looking around the room, she noticed the ajar window.
"Ah dang." She said resting her head in her hands and giving up the thought and attempt at an escape.
"Sorry about all this mess, I'm Fey." she said holding her hand out.

"Nice to personally meet the woman who I just watched trash my office."
He replied in sarcasm.

"Again, I'm really sorr- Wait, You were watching the whole time? Why didn't you say anything?!"

Before he could answer, the bell rang and heavy footsteps could be heard walking in the front room.

"Ohh no.They've found me." Fey said as she started to panic again.

Profile Quote
Guruthostirn
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 23 Apr , 2005 5:11 pm
That Weird American

Anorast raised an eyebrow at Fey. "Why, exactly, young woman, are they looking for you?"

All Fey did was smile weakly at the old elf as voices rose in the other room.

"Nevermind" said Anorast. "I can see why you came here, and though I don't know the reasons behind them, I like sticking my nose in other people's business."

Checking to see that Fey could not be seen if his office door was opened, Anorast went out to meet her persuers. The spectacle that greeted the elf in the front of his business was amusing. Two very large men were towering over his partner, Synthia, stridently talking.

"She has to be in here, woman! Now tell us where you've hidden her and we won't be rough with you."

Synthia did not appear threatened, or even impressed, by the display of force from the two hulking men. Behind her desk she sat, leaning back in her seat. Anorast could see the two throwing knives Synthia held, hidden beneath the desk. A fine, brave woman.

"I'm afraid you'll have to leave your information here with me before I tell you whether or not we have this woman in our offices. I'll need your names, addresses, relationship to the persued, reason for persuit, mother's maiden name, and name and address of your current employer, as well as your last two employers."

At this, the two men fell silent. Anorast could see they had figured out that this woman would not be pushed around. His hand slipped down to the hilt of his dagger, but the two men turned and left the building.

Synthia stood, flipping the throwing knives into their sheaths on her hips. "They're standing in the shadows on the other side of the street, Anorast."

"Ok, go ahead and lock the door. If we get a customer, I'll know, and return."

"I take it we're taking a different exit," said Synthia with a raised eyebrow.

The elf grinned. "Let's just say I found what I was looking for," Anorast said, tipping his head back towards the office, not at the strairs to the storeroom.

Synthia nodded. Anorast knew she'd understood his message about not completely trusting this Fey who'd plopped into their midst. "Well, let's help our guest out of her trap," Synthia replied, grinning.

Profile Quote
Fey
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 24 Apr , 2005 7:27 pm

Fey held her breath and listened as the two large men spoke to the woman and the elf.

"She has to be in here, woman! Now tell us where you've hidden her and we won't be rough with you."

Pity "being rough" was all they were bright enough TO do. Fey thought, rolling her eyes.
Glancing down, fey caught sight of the folder of paper work she'd earlier discarded. Picking it up she began to read-

"I hereby declare that any bodily, mental harm and/or destruction of property encountered in set endeavor is, under no circumstance, host company's liability. Thus Assuming signed party blah blabla... "

Fey continued flipping through the numerous pages of legal matters.
"They must be crazy to assume I'd sign this." She thought as see came across the 4th section entitled-

" Consequences of accidental patron incineration ".

"What's this?" Fey thought as she made it to the back of the stack.
Fey was holding what looked to be an average map of the city. Dropping the liability papers, she began to get a closer look.
"Surely they don't mean to stay here for their quest?"
There were little markings around different areas of Minas Tirith, but Fey could not understand their meaning.
Coming to the conclusion that she must have accidentally grabbed the map, along with the folder, from the woman out front, she hurriedly bent down to stuff it in her pack.

Just as she stood up, The elf and the Woman came into the room.
"Oh, thank you both very much!" She said grabbing up the folder and handing it back to the woman. "Here, I think these are yours. I'm very sorry about all this."
Taking it, the woman didn't look to trusting.

"Well then, I better be on my way before they come back. I really owe you guys one. If you ever need anything let me know!"
Bag in hand, Fey sat there waiting for them to clear the way to the door.
Looking between the two for a few odd seconds she finally asked,
"Erm... You two know something I don't?"
"The two men are waiting across the street for you." The woman replied.
"Lovely." Fey said in a sarcastic tone. "Well, anything I can do for you here since it seems I might be stuck for a while.You know, spare filing to be done, Repairing windows?
The elf just smirked at her obvious lack of knowledge as to what was going on and how humorous she seemed to be finding all of this.

-Fey is the alt RP ID of Donernilwen-

Profile Quote
Frelga
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 26 Apr , 2005 6:43 pm
A green apple painted red

OOC, since I didn't find an OOC thread. How would you feel about one of my characters poking his nose into your adventure? If you have done you plotting offline and don't need reinforcements, I will respectfully bow out. If you wish, I'll be happy to supply links to my RPing credentials from that other place.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Guruthostirn
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 26 Apr , 2005 6:47 pm
That Weird American

OOC: This is supposed to be amusing, lite RP adventure, so of course feel free to drop in. I just request no wild stupidity or disruption (not saying you will, but knowing there are people that tend towards that). I have a loose idea, but there's always flexibilty. It'll be a pleasure to have you in here.

Profile Quote
Frelga
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 27 Apr , 2005 6:46 am

OOC: Thank you, Guru. If you are sure you don't mind... here it is. Let me know if I need to apply the Edit button.
----------------
Rosq strolled down the alley with the casual grace of a well-fed tiger who had no interest in hunting - for the moment. The sidewalks were crowded, yet somehow no one bumped into the slender young man. Sunlight slanted through the gaps between the buildings, and each ray made his hair sparkle with gold as bright as the intricately cut chain that disappeared under his collar.

A creaking board sign calling for adventurers drew an amused look and a lifted eyebrow. The two bulky thugs lurking in a doorway across the street merited only a sidelong glance. Rosq had almost walked past the little office, when a sudden thought or a whim caused him to whirl around and push the door. Locked. He pulled the doorbell and followed it with a sharp rap.

Not getting an instant response, the redhead shrugged and turned away. Inevitably, the door swung open that very instant, and a businesslike woman beckoned him inside.

"Are you applying for an adventure?" she asked briskly.

"I might" the visitor replied, scanning the office out of narrowed eyes.

"Is anybody chasing you?"

"Not at the moment. Why?"

"Formality." Synthia pulled a stack of papers out of a drawer. "Your name?"

"Rosq will do," he replied with a shrug, squinting in the direction of the back room. He followed Synthia to the desk, and picked up the forms and the quill she offered him. The quill quivered for a moment and danced across the pages, leaving a breezy dash next to most of the questions.

Edited for grammar.

Last edited by Frelga on Wed 27 Apr , 2005 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Guruthostirn
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 27 Apr , 2005 5:30 pm
That Weird American

"Manpower, Fey," answered Anorast. "You're going to provide us with company as we explore the passages beneath Minas Tirith."

The silence that followed was broken by the doorbell, followed by a knock. Neither Anorast nor Synthia moved for a moment; both sounds were unfamilier to them.

"I'll get it," said Synthia after a moment. Quickly she went out to the front, and in the back Fey and Anorast heard another voice join hers.

"Good, you've got another volunteer. I guess I can stay here?" asked Fey, moving towards a nearby chair.

"The more the merrier," answered Anorast with a grin. "Let's go meet the new arrival."

Steering Fey out into the front room with a hand on her arm Anorast saw the new customer. A thin redheaded man was filling out the paperwork Synthia had provided. The elf's eyes quickly noted the relaxed, yet strong stance of the stranger's body; this fellow was no stranger to fighting.

"This is Rosq, boss," said Synthia.

"Greetings, Rosq," said Anorast with a smile at the young man who looked up at him. "I'm Anorast."

Rosq's eyes flicked outside to the hanging sign. "Nice to meet you. Now what?" he said, handing the papers back to Synthia.

"Next, we go to the armory," answered Anorast with a grin.

Profile Quote
Frelga
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 28 Apr , 2005 10:32 pm

“The armory.” Rosq repeated, an amused glint in his eye. “What sort of an adventure do you have in mind? Invading Far Harad and rustling up some prize Mumakil to breed in Pelennor?”

“Hmm, boss…” Synthia said thoughtfully.

“Nothing so remote,” Anorast replied. “Just a simple mission of exploration right here in the City.”

Rosq shrugged. It made no difference to him. In that ridiculous form they made him fill, he put “Boredom” as the reason for joining an adventure. Under place of residence, the form said “At loose ends”. And the “next of kin” space was empty. That was all as close to the truth as anybody needed to know.

“Very well, then, the armory.” The redhead felt no need to mention the short sword (or long dagger, if one preferred) that he carried at his hip. Anorast was sure to have noticed it, if Elven eyesight was as advertised. “After you, my ladies.”

GNU Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Guruthostirn
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 16 Jun , 2005 9:16 pm
That Weird American

The small group went into the back room. Fey and Rosq looked a bit confused, looking around the small room. It was completely plain, with only wooden panels upon each wall and the ceiling.

"I thought this was your office?" said Fey, looking accusingly at Anorast.

The elf grinned. "Fooled you, didn't I?" he replied.

"Apparently you're fooling yourself, I see no weapons," snorted Fey.

Anorast nodded at Synthia. She stepped over to a wall and inserted a key into a tiny, insignificant crack. After a click, the nearest panel swung out, revealing a cabinet full of an assortment of hand axes. Synthia then moved around the room, opening every panel. Within one she released a series of ropes, dropping the ceiling panels down. When she was done the four "adventurers" were surrounded by an enormous number of weapons of every conceivable type. Both Anorast and Synthia both moved to seperate cabinets and began arming themselves with what was clearly their personal gear.

After slipping into a dark blue leather vest Anorast looked over at Fey and Rosq.

"Take your pick," said the elf, motioning to the other cabinets. "I'd suggest smaller weapons, since it'll be cramped where we're going."

"Where are we going," asked Rosq impatiently, ignoring the weapons surrounding him.

The old elf nodded at his feet, strapping on a set of bright vambraces, which, oddly, he then covered with long leather gauntlets. Rosq looked down. Beneath them were only more panels.

"More weapons?" the man asked.

"No," spoke Synthia from the corner where she'd taken up a small mace. "The basement."

Rosq shook his head. Synthia tossed him the key she'd been using, and motioned towards the center of the floor. Rosq leaned down and found a small opening, into which he stuck the key. Immediately the panel popped up, revealing a small staircase.

"What is down there?" Fey asked Synthia. Then she stared hard at the young woman. "Got enough arrows there?"

Synthia looked up. "Three quivers should be enough," she replied. "As to what's down in our basement, Anorast will have to answer that."

"I found an opening into the catacombs of Minas Tirith," said Anorast.

"There are no catacombs," said Rosq. "The city is built on solid rock, everyone knows that."

"No, someone wanted everyone to know that," replied Synthia. "It may be closer to an ant hill."

"This is what you signed up for," said Anorast. "We're going to take a look at what's down there, and maybe find out why they are kept secret."

Profile Quote
Donernilwen
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 17 Mar , 2006 5:30 am

I don't recall signing to any cave exploration team when I walked in here now... Fey thought to herself as Anorast continued to urge her and Rosq to get their equipment together.
All of a sudden the map she had stumbled upon floated back to memory.
Tightening the grip on her bag, Fey thought through the options she now had.
Take my chances on the two large brutes outside waiting for me... or go with these strangers into 'secret catacombs'. How do I get myself into these things?!
Based on the quick glimpse she had cought of that map, She figured there would be various ways out along the journey. Maybe she could go along and if need presented itself, escape through some 'ant tunnel' as the city's foundation had been described to be.

"You mind?" Fey said motioning to one of the nearby cabinets.

"Ah, glad to see you have come around finally. Yes, take what you need, but remember to choose sparingly." Anorast replied as Fey reached the equipment.

"Oh, you mean I can't bring 5 quivers of arrows?" She shot with a smirk over her shoulder. "What is a girl to do?"
Synthia's annoyance was beginning to boil over into pure distain and rightly so.

Rosq, Synthia and Anorast still seemed to be conveniently discussing in more detail the quest's particulars as Fey grabbed a dark back vest from her bag, stuffed the crinkled map into the inside pocket and buttoned it up over her forest green shirt. She then began to look over the cabinet’s contents.
We obviously have no need for another archer...aha! These should do.
Studying them, Fey held up two short swords and deciding that they would suit the job, sheathed one at each side.

"I think I have everything else I will need." She said joining the others. Synthia looked apprehensively at fey's apparent lack of preparation and then to Anorast who just shrugged it off with a grin.

"Are we all set then?"

Profile Quote
Guruthostirn
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 19 Mar , 2006 4:52 am
That Weird American

"Think there are any monsters down here?" called Synthia over to Anorast, who had raised a torch above his head and looking down a crossing passageway. Synthia had stayed at the end of the group, keeping an eye out behind them.

"What do you think, young lady," replied Anorast, turning from the side passage and continuing down the large hallway they followed.

Shortly after entering the tunnels the group had realized they were in a small side section of the underground maze. Staying to the largest passages they discovered the adventurers quickly found their way to larger, grander halls. Yet they had discovered nothing of significance.

"I'd be surprised," answered Synthia dubiously. "I don't think anything would still be alive down here."

"If anything was down here to begin with," spoke up Fey, looking around at the blank walls.

"There must be something down here, some reason for these tunnels," mused Anorast. He was beginning to think they should have recruited a dwarf to help in his little adventure. Getting lost was no problem for the old elf; he'd been under stone often enough. However he knew a dwarf would notice details in stone no elf could discern.

"If you don't think there is anything down here, why did we bring so many weapons?" asked Rosq, clearly annoyed with the monotony.

"I learned long ago," replied Anorast in a bored tone of voice, "it is better to be prepared for what you don't expect than to plan for what you believe you shall run into."

Just as he spoke the tunnel they follow opened up into a great, dark hall.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ]
Return to “Literary Rambles: There & Back Again...”
Jump to: