board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

What is The Witching Hour? Find out here!

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]
Sister Magpie
Post subject: What is The Witching Hour? Find out here!
Posted: Sun 20 Mar , 2005 4:37 pm

Hi everybody. I know there are some Harry Potter readers here, and certainly there are creative people. For all of you, I am passing on information about The Witching Hour, a Harry Potter symposium. TWH will explore the Harry Potter books and culture through academic examination and discussion, as well as through some fun fan convention elements. What's unique here is while much of this convention will consist of advanced academic presentations and round table discussions, there are also creative, fan-centered events including fanfic and fanart booths, a concert and a ball.

The Witching Hour takes place October 6-10 in Salem, Massachusetts.

I urge everybody to check out the website here http://www.witchinghour.org/about/index.html to check it out. The theme of the symposium is an exploration of the darkness inside of us, and why we as readers and people choose to deal with our own potential for darkness the way we do.

I know some of the fans behind this symposium and am incredibly impressed with what they've set up here.

ETA: I'd also encourage anyone with an interest to consider applying for a position such as sketch booth staffer, workshop presenter or round tables moderator. You don't have to have a PhD in literature or hours of experience as a public speaker in order to come up with a great presentation. TWH is, above all, supposed to be fun.

-m

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 08 Apr , 2005 5:27 pm
Milk and kisses

*bump*

Magpie, would you want this moved to the Books forum? It might have more of an audience there... :)

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
Sister Magpie
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 09 Apr , 2005 1:26 am

Thanks! I asked the mods where they thought they'd like it and they suggested here, but perhaps books is a better place. I guess I can't move it myself?

-m

Profile Quote
Lidless
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 09 Apr , 2005 1:28 am
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

I would have expected the Witching Hour to last sixty minutes, not four days...

It's a kind of magic, I guess...

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Holbytla
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 09 Apr , 2005 5:13 am
Grumpy cuz I can be

You know finally something close to me to go to, and it has to be Harry Potter.
Why not Tolkien? Why not Donaldson? Why not Danielle Steele? Oh the shame.

Seriously I may take the kids to this. Sounds like fun.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]
Return to “Literary Rambles: There & Back Again...”
Jump to: