Living on Earth is expensive,
but it does include a free trip
around the sun every year.

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 20 Mar , 2005 8:21 pm
Living in hope

I've read Sigrid Undset--I think you and I have exchanged posts about that before. I'm named after Kristin Lavransdatter, and I've read both that and the "Master of Hestviken" tetralogy.

Profile Quote
vison
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 20 Mar , 2005 9:09 pm
Best friends forever

Oh, right. I remember now. :oops:

Agnar Mykle is someone I know little about. I've read "Lasso Round the Moon" and "The Song of the Red Ruby", but I haven't read the third book in the trilogy. I'm going to order it from ABE books, I guess. Mykle wrote about modern Norway, or at least in the 20th century. His Ruby book caused a furore like Lady Chatterly, being cited for obscenity.

The books aren't obscene, of course. Even though like most books I'm sure they suffer by being translated into English, I really like them.

Par Laagerkvist is another kettle of fish entirely. One book he wrote, which I can't find anywhere, is Barrabas. And another was about what really happend to Lazarus after he'd been raised from the dead. Wonderful reading!

Profile Quote
Nienor SharkAttack
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 21 Mar , 2005 9:41 am

I've read Sigrid Undset's Kristin Lavransdatter - and didn't really enjoy is, as I was forced to read it in school when I - in my opinion - was too young to appreciate it for what it is. Yay for how the schools treat our cultural heritage...

Agnar Mykle is another "school author". Everyone knows about him and "The Song of the Red Ruby", but no one I know has read it or any of his other books. And then this Canadian posts on a messageboard... :D

[ img ]

Profile Quote
vison
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 21 Mar , 2005 4:35 pm
Best friends forever

I read Lasso Round the Moon many, many years ago. Then I came across The Song of the Red Ruby in a second hand bookstore some years later.

Right now I'm re-reading Lasso Round the Moon and I must say it has held up very well, in my mind. I daresay it is very autobiographical, but the character of Ash Burlefoot is appealing, the kind of young man we all knew or know.

I've gone looking for more Mykle books and have found them at ABE books and at alibris. I don't like ordering books from the States, it costs so much in the end, but I see there is a bookseller in Toronto who can do the thing.

I love Kristin, I read it every year or so. I haven't read Undset's other books, they are very hard to find here. Although I did read, I guess, the first book in the Master of Hestviken set.

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 22 Mar , 2005 10:30 pm
WYSIWYG

I've read Kristin Lavransdotter - we posted on this in books (other), vison! :D

Unfortunately I have no time at all at the moment for any indepth discussion of books. :( Be back later - good to see there's more people who've read it - I think in the thread on TORC there was no one else but vison and me. :)

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]
Return to “Literary Rambles: There & Back Again...”
Jump to: