board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

OCC - The Seekers *II - Flight from Mithlond (fans welcome)

Post Reply   Page 10 of 10  [ 200 posts ]
Jump to page « 16 7 8 9 10
Dindraug
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 04 Aug , 2005 7:35 am
Tricksy Elf!

Thank you Areanor, it has been too long and I have been struggeling to find my muse on this one.

A storm may help though ;) Nice post. I will try to find the way to fill the gap and end the conversation in Alandriels room soon, before we go on holiday.

But......

....a 'stainless steel sword' :Q Stainless steel is just for cutlary, a sword naturally picks up some blemishing anyway ;)

Just an affectionate poke :P Good to see you back, have missed seeing this one at the top of the pile in this forum :D

Profile Quote
Areanor
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 05 Aug , 2005 5:42 am
Sharpe-sighted

sorry, Din, but I must object.

looking up in the dictionary:

bows to the one and only Hornby ;)

stainless adj
1. without a stain.
2. (esp of a kind of steel alloy) that resists rust and corrosion

My intention was to use the word in the meaning of 1, because Areanor had polished the blade for such a long time, it would have no more stains on it.

Might you like the adjective "spotless" better? I'm open for suggestions.

:P
:poke:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dindraug
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 05 Aug , 2005 7:07 am
Tricksy Elf!

I would sugest polished. ;)

Stainless steel is a proces of high polishing that can only be done at a high level of technology and industry, it appeared in the ninteenth century and was used in making cutlery mainly. There is little point for anything else, and it actualy weakens the blade :Q

Polishing is a technique for highly cleaning a blade, using either rags, stone (sharpening stones) and oil etc. They bring out the natural colours of the metal. I would point you in the direction of links to Damascean techniques and Saxon folding techniques to explain, but my darn work security controls wont let me access sites on sword making :rage:

Sorry to poke :hug:

Of course if your scratty excuse for a warrior had a decent wool lined wooden scabbard anyway, the scabbard would keep the bald rust free for most of the time. :P

Tsk, humans......

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 05 Aug , 2005 7:27 am
Troubadour of Ithilien

Dindraug wrote:
Of course if your scratty excuse for a warrior had a decent wool lined wooden scabbard anyway, the scabbard would keep the bald rust free for most of the time. :P
A bit of a Freudian slip there, sweetheart?:P

Also found on Facebook - hunt me down via the MetaTORC group.

[ img ]

I just adore the concept of washing Dirty Horseboys!

Profile Quote
Dindraug
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 05 Aug , 2005 7:36 am
Tricksy Elf!

Leoba wrote:
Dindraug wrote:
A bit of a Freudian slip there, sweetheart?:P
No 'the bald', as in short for baldric, the leather staps used to support a scabbard hung over the shoulders at the side. Although this is a better way to hang a sword that is hung to the floor, rather than along the body as in Fifteenth century or Japanese blades, it can snare when drawn and staining can be caused by rust, especially on the facings. :P

(baffel 'em with technobable, thats what I say, covers a multitude of sins....including misspellings )

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 05 Aug , 2005 8:04 am
Troubadour of Ithilien

Can I offer you a spade? It's so much quicker than digging with your bare (or should that be bald?) hands.

:P

:love:

Also found on Facebook - hunt me down via the MetaTORC group.

[ img ]

I just adore the concept of washing Dirty Horseboys!

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 05 Aug , 2005 9:57 am
*Ex-Admin of record*

:LMAO: .... oh you people! :D

I still have to go and read up
:oops:

Hand me that spade Din just after you're done. I fear my muse is burried 6 feet deep at the least... :bawl:
Perhaps a week on a rock will cure me - a change of tapestry always helps and I'm off to Malta for a week on the 27th :D

Profile Quote
Jaeniver
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 30 Aug , 2005 12:00 pm
I can't count but I'm cute

i copied the latest posts and taking them home with me ;)

maybe now i'm internestless my muse will come out to play.

So give me your forever.
Please your forever.
Not a day less will do
From you

~Other half of the Menacing Glare Duo~ partner-in-crime out to confuse the world!

Profile Quote
EdaintheRanger
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 01 Sep , 2005 5:15 pm
The Red Fox

Hey folks,

Now I don't make a habit of reading OOC threads, much less ones of RPs I'm not involved with...

Just had to say reading this last page made me laugh out loud for real. I guess I'm missing you guys a little bit.

Any road up, I've been off on my adventures the last few weeks, seemed a little preferable to my usual monastical lifestyle, and I have returned.

I guess a report in Orphans would be in order, so see you guys laters! :D

We need courage, faith and Chocolate Cake.

Profile Quote
Arunakhôr
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 02 Sep , 2006 9:16 pm

Is there anyone else still interested in digging this one up from under the 10 ft of dust it by now must be burried under?

The muse is probably drifting around on some distant see. :roll: I have no idea anymore about all the details. :neutral:
My english has become crappy, or even crappier, in the mean time. :bawl:

But the fingers, they are itching. :D

Arrrrr!

What say you?

;)

Dreams of war
Dreams of liars
Dreams of dragons fire
And of things that will bite...

Profile Quote
Dindraug
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 04 Sep , 2006 7:33 am
Tricksy Elf!

I am up for it, I need to be writing Kalin anyway, I have big plans for our plucky pirate ;)

And WOSS was also wonderful practice for me.

I am up for it. No idea if this may prod Alandriel into writing, but if so, the better it will be.

:D

Profile Quote
Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 04 Sep , 2006 8:09 pm
Per aspera ad astra

I dout b this can live without Alandriel....

On the one hand, I am eager to write. Eager to write anything. One the other, I am just separated, the two kids still have to be adapted to their new environnment and need loads of attention and I enjoy every minute with you-know-whom.

Yet.... Tibo is so cute....

Nichts Schöneres unter der Sonne als unter der Sonne zu sein.
(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
Dindraug
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 05 Sep , 2006 7:30 am
Tricksy Elf!

Nin don't worry about commitment here, seriously.

Seekers was more than the sum of any one writer, it was full of options and plot potentials. If people are edgy because some people have vanished from the ether and don;t want to carry on, we shoyuld maybe think about it as a jumping off point for those charictors that have more in them maybe?

For my own part, Kalin and Woman of Secret Shadow are the options. Dindraug as a charictor is a bit tricky to write as I wanted Seekers to be his final song. I had no idea how he would get to Valinor, either sail or via Mandos, but he was not going to step foot on Middle Earth again. That was part of the plot that Alandrial and I worked out way back in the mists of time :Q

So, what do people think? We could start something new with the same charictors. I can see our two pirates had some interaction in the past that would be fun to explore. Tibo I am not sure of as he came into the plot on his first trip out, or was it...... Jae, Areanor et al can fit in anyplace I guess. After all, the ship had not yet got out of the Gulf of Lune. We could start with a shipwreck..... :Q

Or we could carry on, and have Alandriel asleep through it. At our normal rate for this plot I am sure she will surface before we pass another day ;)

Just tossing ideas out into the void like spent dwarfs, see what the net catches.

Any takers.....

Profile Quote
Kaya
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 05 Sep , 2006 6:13 pm

I'd like to, otherwise I wouldn't have bumped this one, but at the same time I must confess it frightens me... The posts I wrote in here in the past were so heavy and weary to write.
I don't have the time - or want to put into the same amount of time - as I used to do in composing posts or doing research, so I can guarantee you they will not be frequent, or of the same quality/length (though the latter may be a relief to some :P) I used to strive for in the past - and by far beyond this RP's level. So if you want to aim for the same level/commitment I'll bow out without any problem. Because it is a great story, I don't want to bring it 'down' or hold anyone up who really wants to dive into this again. :)

As for endings - I wanted Aru to die in the end as well. I've never given the how and why and when much thought, so his end might as well be before the end of the story (would we ever get that far). It's just that I saw this one as his last 'mission'. He's old enough, and does deserve the break in my opinion. ;)

Or we could always start a new one: 'Seekers - the humoristic version' :P

Be like a duck, my mother used to tell me. Remain calm on the surface and paddle like hell underneath.

Profile Quote
Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 05 Sep , 2006 6:19 pm
Per aspera ad astra

I miss you Kaya

Nichts Schöneres unter der Sonne als unter der Sonne zu sein.
(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
Kaya
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 05 Sep , 2006 6:21 pm

I miss you too. :(

Be like a duck, my mother used to tell me. Remain calm on the surface and paddle like hell underneath.

Profile Quote
Jaeniver
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 05 Sep , 2006 6:29 pm
I can't count but I'm cute

Dindraug wrote:
I wanted Seekers to be his final song.
No!! :( I liked the elf. He is infuriating but I like him!

I am glad people still show interest in this. I was so excited when we started with this. like Din said so many potentials! so many plot options!

I would really like to continue this or, if need be, start something new.

So give me your forever.
Please your forever.
Not a day less will do
From you

~Other half of the Menacing Glare Duo~ partner-in-crime out to confuse the world!

Profile Quote
Areanor
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 09 Apr , 2007 10:00 am
Sharpe-sighted

I wonder if someone out there is still plotting.

You know - last night I dreamt of that ship. :Q

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Dindraug
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 10 Apr , 2007 1:03 pm
Tricksy Elf!

I do ponder that on occassion as well. There was so much good writing that went into this one, but we do appear to have lost so many writers. I know we had an Alandriel sighting recently, but I am not sure it was much more than that :poke: , Nin has said she is no longer interested, I am not sure about the others. anybody seen or heard from Kaya recently?

Having said that, there is a lot of potential here to carry on, but I don't think we could in the origional plot. However, a few shipwrecked souls washed up someplace may be possible?

'When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from delusion, it is called Religion'.

~Robert M. Pirsig

Profile Quote
Kaya
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 16 Apr , 2007 7:09 am

I'm here. :)

Now, I think of this RP often. We really have a great tale here, and it has been fun. But I think my RPing days are a bit of the past. :( I have no idea where I found the time in the past. :Q It wouldn't be fare on anyone to agree to something when I wouldn't be able to fully commit myself.

Wishing those who'll continue all the best, and heaps of fun. :hug:

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 10 of 10  [ 200 posts ]
Return to “Literary Rambles: There & Back Again...” | Jump to page « 16 7 8 9 10
Jump to: