RP Advertisements

Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 33 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 »
Guruthostirn
Post subject: RP Advertisements
Posted: Sun 05 Dec , 2004 8:41 pm
That Weird American

This thread has two roles:

1) To discuss ideas for RP's and to assess interest in a possible RP. This allows both for the maturation of ideas that are not fully developed, and also that RP's which won't have much interest won't fill up the forum. Particularly with the small community of writers we have, communicating and getting interest is important prior to starting an RP.

2) To recruit writers for RP's. This is connected to the first point; by advertising your RP or your idea you can gain interest. But also, if a current RP is in need of writers, a note can be made here to attract interest.

3) To find an RP to participate in. This is the writer's version of the above points. A person can post that they're interested in joining an RP, and see if anyone has an opening for them in an RP or advice on finding an RP.

I hope this helps out the writing environment here!

That crazy American Jerk...

"No stop signs, speed limits, no body's gonna slow me down..."

"You can run, but you'll die tired." -- What the archer said to the knight.

Profile Quote
Nin
Post subject: RP ideas - feedback wanted!
Posted: Mon 03 Jan , 2005 9:33 am
Per aspera ad astra

A few ideas for RP are in my mind since a long time, some related to Tolkien, but mostly not, and I would like to see if this place could be one, where this kind of idea has a writing future. I will post this first in Guru’s RP advertise thread, and see if it’s read over there, and I have no echo at all, open a new thread.

One idea that I wanted to write once in my life was a survivors tale – an old fascination for Robinson Crusoe and Jules Verne certainly. (and for a German book : Die Höhlenkinder) But unlike Robinson, I would like to develop how a group of people would survive in the wild, how they would organise themselves, overcome thier grief about the lifes they have lost, face the daily dangers, find a social structure, try to get away again, or rather decide to stay.

I don’t know why, I could very well picture a ship with emigrants to Australia sinking and a part of the passagers being saved whereas the rest drowned : so among those could be prisonners sent to Australia, which could add some interesting flavour to the future relationships on the island where they are rescued…. Some could be members of a family wishing to emigrate in hope for a better futre, or in the contrary who flee from something. I see a mixed group of men and women, some of them might have lost family members and others not… But his is just my personal idea, which is rather vague so far, I would just like to hear if I’m the only one who is interested in this kind of story, with a lot of psychologiacl and pratical implications (How do you build a house if you have no axe ? – How do you survive without musical instruments ? How do you light a fire ?) or if everybody else thinks that this idea has been done so many times, that there is nothing new under the sun for a story of this kind.

Another idea on my mind concerns an RP based in history, or rather a character I would just love to write one day… a venal 18th century Frenchman (a bit like Valmont of the Dangerous liaisons), maybe with a background set of prerevolutionnary France, where the noblemen are rather decadent – like a French travelling through Britain after a duel which were forbidden at court and trying make his living (and eventually hurting the mentality difference) which has been impossible in France due to his horrid (but true) reputation as a gambler and seductor…

The bell rings now, but I’ll try to come back with something Tolkien based next time –which should still be today.

edited for spelling :roll:

Last edited by Nin on Mon 03 Jan , 2005 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nichts Schöneres unter der Sonne als unter der Sonne zu sein.
(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
Rodia
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 03 Jan , 2005 9:57 am

Nin, I like that survivor idea a lot. Count me in if it begins! I think I'd enjoy doing the research, I've never tried historical rp before. I might even try playing a female character this time, lol...though to be honest, women have so many inconveniences...

[ img ]
Help me go to the North Pole! by Magic Madzik, on Flickr

TRYING TO GET TO THE NORTH POLE! You can help by voting: http://www.blogyourwaytothenorthpole.com/entries/244

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 03 Jan , 2005 11:54 am
*Ex-Admin of record*

ahhh..... a survival RP (a bit like Seekers :wink: - just kidding of course). I think that's a spliff idea :mrgreen: , especially if water and some tropical or deserty place is involved. Why? I'd be totally in my element :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

As for a historical thingie: I must confess, I'm such a looser when it comes to history. I'd love to dabble in it like I love to dabble in almost anything but I fear something like that for me to do well would require an enormous amount of research - time I just won't have this year.

But the first one ..... [ img ]

Profile Quote
Jaeniver
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 03 Jan , 2005 5:02 pm
I can't count but I'm cute

I will have to see how my school work progresses but if i have time the survivor's idea sounds good. i am very very interested in your noble man though.

Choices, choices :mrgreen: I second Alandriel's idea about tropical island. it reminds me of Lord of the Flies. deffinitly scary

So give me your forever.
Please your forever.
Not a day less will do
From you

~Other half of the Menacing Glare Duo~ partner-in-crime out to confuse the world!

Profile Quote
Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 11 Jan , 2005 10:57 am
Per aspera ad astra

I'm sorry for having fallen into silence... a project keeping me busy... until the end of january.

I must say that the survivor's idea dosee not leave my mind, and maybe one of the residaent Aussies could help with local information about flora and fauna... and it should be realisable... If it still spook on me in a week, I'll open an OOC.

(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
peeg
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 11 Jan , 2005 11:25 am
You Tolkien to me?

Nin, your survivor idea is good- count me if it happens....we can tweak it here and there, make it better, but the main idea sounds interesting. Perhaps add a twist of fantasy in there somwhere too, if possible :mrgreen:

And i'd be happy to help you out in regards to Aussie flora and fauna....perhaps if Imp was interested too, it would make it easier. Two minds are always better than one :) :wink:

[ img ]

"You can think and you can fight, but the world's always moving and if you wanna stay ahead you gotta dance"
~Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 11 Jan , 2005 11:34 am
Per aspera ad astra

Peeg, that's a good news.

No, a very good news.

No, a fantastic news. :Wooper:

(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
peeg
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 13 Jan , 2005 12:01 pm
You Tolkien to me?

No problem, Nin :wink:

When you've got everything worked out, just gimme a shout :)

[ img ]

"You can think and you can fight, but the world's always moving and if you wanna stay ahead you gotta dance"
~Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Areanor
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 14 Jan , 2005 2:34 am
Sharpe-sighted

heehee. now at 3.30 in the night.....

Nin, why on Earth? :devil:
Let it be a spaceship stranding on a tropical fantasy planet - with dragons.

:mrgreen:
tired minds get weird ideas.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Guruthostirn
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 14 Jan , 2005 2:41 am
That Weird American

Areanor, now that sounds interesting...but even if Nin and the others stick with their idea, unchanged, I'd be tempted to do a Sci-Fi RP...I'm a big fan of the old-school sci-fi style...just another setting for stories, not going over the top on technology and such, the baggage that came from Star Trek...

That crazy American Jerk...

"No stop signs, speed limits, no body's gonna slow me down..."

"You can run, but you'll die tired." -- What the archer said to the knight.

Profile Quote
Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 17 Jan , 2005 11:46 am
Per aspera ad astra

Sorry.... I'm not much of a sci-fi person.... (althoug I liked: Landing on Draover, which goes a bit in this direction) - really I'd like the idea of having to do with nothing, building up things on nothing. Now, to include some fantasy options... that would be easy. Visions? Haunted parts of the wreckage? Unexplainable things happening on the island? (sound like King-Kong that one) - why not? As long as they happen to characters who sound real enough to be believable.

(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 17 Jan , 2005 1:23 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

you mean no fire-ball throwing wizzards and no vanishing, blood sucking baddies? No half trolls half Rohirrim either? Muderous syrens perhaps? Now I'm totally disappointed :P :wink:

weeeeeeell, sci-fy pure is not my 'thing' either... but it would be cool do do something 'Mulder-ish' stuff :D

Profile Quote
Dindraug
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 17 Jan , 2005 1:33 pm
Tricksy Elf!

areanor wrote:
heehee. now at 3.30 in the night.....

Nin, why on Earth? :devil:
Let it be a spaceship stranding on a tropical fantasy planet - with dragons.

:mrgreen:
tired minds get weird ideas.
Rather than dragons shouldn't it be small flying lizards that can breath fire if they eat a certain type of phosphorus bearing rock. It would be really exceiting if the world they crashed on was threatened by a great devestaing evil, not all the time, but say a cylic thing every couple of hundred years.....

Umm, sorry I lost my thread somewhat. :roll:

Nin, these settlers, are they convicts?

'When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from delusion, it is called Religion'.

~Robert M. Pirsig

Profile Quote
Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 17 Jan , 2005 2:30 pm
Per aspera ad astra

Din - have you decided to kill me today? What are convicts? And what exactly do you mean by settlers?

Alandriel.... a little bit creepy and something altogether weird and slightly paranormal.... that almost sounds like my CV - but in a "normal" environnement, you see what I mean?

(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
Jaeniver
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 17 Jan , 2005 2:57 pm

convict are people who are punished for a crime i.e murder, theft etc etc but murder mostly if he means heavy convicts. Settles would be the people on the island or where ever you'd want them.

Shoot me Din if i got your idea wrong.

So give me your forever.
Please your forever.
Not a day less will do
From you

~Other half of the Menacing Glare Duo~ partner-in-crime out to confuse the world!

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 17 Jan , 2005 2:57 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

A bit weird and paranormal... hmmmm... not bad! :D ?Are you going to be Scully... and if yes.. who's gonna be Mulder? Just kidding :wink:

Convict is a criminal that has been sentenced.... to... prison
And Settlers are people that are going to look for new lands 'to settle'... to live in and take over :Q :wink:

As to it all sounding like your CV.. hello sister :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Jae!!! You naughty elf! :LMAO:

Profile Quote
Leoba
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 17 Jan , 2005 3:06 pm
Troubadour of Ithilien

Not just sentenced to prison. In the shipping sense, it would be a reference to sending people abroad to a penal colony, in place of prison. The origins of the Aussie population. ;)=:) And not always murderers - one of my ancestor's relations was sent to Australia for stealing a sheep (bloody silly place to send him for that, if you ask me!).

Profile Quote
Jaeniver
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 17 Jan , 2005 3:44 pm

:LMAO: Leoba sorry i get these images and they are hilarious!!! i cannot help myself.

Alandriel-What? ah wait i know i know. *slinks out*
:oops:
Damn the corruption of this place :P

So give me your forever.
Please your forever.
Not a day less will do
From you

Profile Quote
peeg
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 19 Jan , 2005 2:28 am
You Tolkien to me?

The origins of the Aussie population is, thank god, not MY origin :LMAO: =:)

If this is going to be a story about convicts and settlers, it better have an odd mineral-eating dragon and crazy, bumbling wizard in it too. No such thing as a good story without dragons and wizards.... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Leoba your ancestor stole a sheep? :scratch :eh: So what are we supposed to expect from you?? =:)

[ img ]

~Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 33 posts ]
Return to “Literary Rambles: There & Back Again...” | Jump to page 1 2 »
Jump to: