The Last Homely Site on the Web

Copyright

Post Reply   Page 2 of 2  [ 28 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 06 Apr , 2005 9:27 pm
Living in hope

I believe copyright has to be signed away or sold--someone who isn't the original holder can't just post a notice and get it. At least, any writing "work for hire" contract I've ever signed has had a specific section for that.

If TORC did want the copyrights of everything posted on its boards, then everyone would have to agree to that on registration. I don't remember any more what was there in the boilerplate, but I think I would remember assigning the copyright of my own writing to them--it's the kind of thing I tend to notice. . . .

(One of my pieces of work for hire was a little "gift book" thing on unicorns that was in print for at least 10 years and sold, I'd guess, at least 100,000 copies. :bawl: )

(Hasty edit to add, that sales figure is completely because of the subject matter and the nice little cover--the text I wrote had nothing to do with it; I just wish I had a nickel a book or something. . . .)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 07 Apr , 2005 3:31 am
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

Nin wrote:
I would not contact TORC honestly... what they don't know, it does not hurt them.
Nothing to add here except I third that. I don't think it would be a good idea. Contacting TPTB in the past about issues or even the mention of another MB has caused too many problems.

I'd say someone bug Voronwe or Ellienor to get in here first. If one is going to go talk to the TORC PTB, make sure they go in fully armed with lots of facts.

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
Frelga
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 07 Apr , 2005 3:37 am
A green apple painted red

And please wait until I take my story out of Scrip. An open messageboard is no place for copyrighted material in any case, and with RPs the concern is not just the story, but the characters themselves, which could theoretically be used in a publishable work.

Prim, unicorns? :love: How lovely. I'm sure your text was quite delightful.

Profile Quote
Guruthostirn
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 07 Apr , 2005 7:23 am
That Weird American

I would suspect the best way for a person to present their work is to say they've done something, then ask people to email them with requests for the material. I'm not sure whether that's enough.

Nin? Did they have a problem with you communicating your material across the internet period, or just onto a messageboard?

This would probably work for the future...I'd be interested to see what Steve has to say, considering how much of his work he put here...

That crazy American Jerk...

"No stop signs, speed limits, no body's gonna slow me down..."

"You can run, but you'll die tired." -- What the archer said to the knight.

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 07 Apr , 2005 9:34 am
Milk and kisses

Ok, I won't post the question I was considering, which would have been a general thread in The One Ring Forum about copyright ownership of stuff posted on the boards.

But one of the TORC mods knows about this issue because we discussed it in person at Glasgow, so she would know what I meant. She was aware of the RP being abandoned on TORC and retaken on B77 (it was the "Players from Bree" one) and that's what prompted the discussion on copyright. I can't honestly say that it was plain scaremongering, because I don't know enough legal stuff to stand my ground, but it reassures me that most of you have a similar stance to mine. :)

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 07 Apr , 2005 9:41 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

A scare for nothing really.... and phew! for that :)

I don't think any members of the TORC board of directors would in any way 'abuse' whatever copyright version they have. I think they're plain too busy for that. However, who's to guarantee that nobody else 'lifts' something? Well no guarantees obviously.

But I think we can breathe a bit easier now :D Thanks Berhael :hug:

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 18 May , 2005 11:55 am
*Ex-Admin of record*

well.... this is somewhat back in the spotlight. Hubby just gave me a text and I thought I'd post it in here too
Quote:
The copyright springs into existence the instant the work of expression first assumes some tangible form and lasts until it expires by law.
The life of the author plus 70 years, or for works made for hire 95 years from publication or 120 years from creation whichever is shorter.
It's from a book on How to aply for a patent so I should think they would have the info right. Mind you, this is US related - so I don't know if it's the international accepted thing or not.

Nin might also be getting some info and I hope she'll come back in here and post it.

Profile Quote
Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 18 May , 2005 1:46 pm
Per aspera ad astra

Well, I called the WIPO today (World Intellectual Property Organisation) which has its siege in Geneva.

A very friendly lady reminded me that usually they work with governements, but explained me some basic principles: in all copyright questions, national law prevails international law. Usually it's the nationality of the holder of the copyright who determines who is competent.

I did not have the time to read it so far but information is gathered on this page:Copyright questions

Nichts Schöneres unter der Sonne als unter der Sonne zu sein.
(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 2 of 2  [ 28 posts ]
Return to “Literary Rambles: There & Back Again...” | Jump to page « 1 2
Jump to: