board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

The Count of Monte Cristo and Great adventure books

Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 38 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 »
Semprini
Post subject: The Count of Monte Cristo and Great adventure books
Posted: Tue 12 Apr , 2005 5:46 pm

What are the best adventure books ever written?

I nominate Dumas' The Count of Monte Cristo. It may not be well written, but, oh boy, how do you root for Edmond Dantes in this book. Incredibly exciting. The best vengeance story ever written IMO. Too bad no movie adaption has ever done it justice.

Last edited by Semprini on Wed 13 Apr , 2005 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Quote
Queen_Beruthiel
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 12 Apr , 2005 7:47 pm

I don't know about "greatest" Sem, but here are some of my favourite adventure writers:

Jack London, Conan Doyle (The Lost World) and Jules Verne (Journey to the Centre of the Earth). I grew up loving H. Rider Haggard too, especially King Solomon's Mines.

Oh and Kipling. So not PC. :D

Profile Quote
Frelga
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 12 Apr , 2005 7:57 pm
A green apple painted red

I don't know about "greatest" either, but The Three Musketeers has been my best beloved book when I was young, to the point of taking up fencing for many years. I love the dynamics between the four heroes, with d'Artagnan so young and eager, and yet ready to manipulate his friends quite cold-bloodedly, although Atos was always my personal favorite.

I never managed to warm up to Count Monte Cristo. Seems like such a waste of energy to spend all those years trying to bring his enemies down.

And yes, definitely Kipling!

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 12 Apr , 2005 11:55 pm
Living in hope

Kipling's Kim is one of the best adventures ever. And on a simpler scale, Captains Courageous--I read that over and over.

Conan Doyle, of course, and Verne. And Forester's Hornblower books.

Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin books are more sophisticated, I think, but they have that same wind-from-the-wide-world sweep to them, to the point where I'm careful as to when I pick up Master and Commander--it's a loooong commitment to reread that whole series. :Q

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Amrunelen
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 13 Apr , 2005 12:39 am
wencherific

I loved The Count of Monte Cristo. I don't know if I'd say it's the best adventure book ever written, but then I can't think of any others at the moment that's I'd say are better...

[ img ]

"Morning has broken and I have felt a presence that disturbs
me with the joy of elevated thoughts; a sense sublime of
something far more deeply interfused, whose dwelling is the
light of setting suns, and the round ocean and the living air,
and the blue sky, and in the mind of man; a motion and a
spirit, that impels." -Wordsworth

Profile Quote
Semprini
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 13 Apr , 2005 8:16 am

I've edited my post so as to propose to select the best adventure books, and not "the greatest", the latter term being, as has been noted, too subjective.

Queen B, I too love London and Jules Verne (my two favorite Verne were 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and its sequel, The mysterious Island, although it's been a long time since I've read them). :) Conan Doyle is good too.

Frelga: The Three Musketeers is very good too, but I do not enjoy it as much now as I used to enjoy it when I was a teenager, while I still find Monte Cristo uncannily compelling. Monte Cristo is more inventive, more complex, and more moving (and more melodramatic and implausible too, granted). And I find Monte Cristo's themes more interesting (injustice and retribution; is Dantès' vengeance right? Is he a human being anymore?).

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 13 Apr , 2005 9:08 am
Filthy darwinian hobbit

I agree that the Count of Monte Cristo is a more complex adult story that sweeps across time and space. It has a sense of grandeur. The Three Musketeers is more immediately enjoyable. (You fence too, Frelga?) Years ago the BBC used to run classic serials at Sunday teatime and Dumas was often featured. Invariably they would use some Berlioz as the signature tune. Now whenever I hear the Corsair or the March to the Scaffold from Symphonie Fantastique I want to rummage in my bag for my epee :). Has anyone noticed that Dumas' characters bite their lips till they bleed?
I nominate Treasure Island. It is short but grips like a vice. When I started to read it to my daughter as a bed time story she asked me to stop after the second page as it was too frightening. (Now of course she does parachute jumps and fire walks)

Profile Quote
Rodia
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 13 Apr , 2005 10:01 am

Treasure Island was blood-chilling. Brrr... very good book.

I really like the Three Musketeers, myself. My parents bought the book for me before I was even born...as soon as they knew mum was pregnant they started buying me books that I would only read years later. :D And true...I read the book for the first time when I was about twenty. Amazing.

I also have a soft spot for Captain Blood. :oops:

Profile Quote
Amrunelen
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 13 Apr , 2005 10:38 pm
wencherific

I suppose I should start The Three Musketeers then. I had it on my christmas list last year along with The Man in the Iron Mask, but haven't got to either of them yet. :)

Perhaps I should finish the 6 or so books that I have started first, though. :roll:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Semprini
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 14 Apr , 2005 8:04 am

Actually, I find Monte Cristo as immediately enjoyable as The Three Musketeers. After all, Monte Cristo is in a way the first superhero. He seems all powerful (sometimes, the reader even wonders whether he has supernatural powers), he has multiple identities, nobody knows who he really is (apart from the reader who read his tragic story in the first 300 pages of the book), he punishes the bad guys and rewards the good guys. He is also immensely rich. The more I think of it, the more I think that he may have inspired Batman. :)

Amrunelen, read The Three Musketeers first. The Man with the Iron Mask is actually a part of the sequel to The Three Musketeers.

Profile Quote
Rodia
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 14 Apr , 2005 10:40 am

Yes and there's also 'Twenty Years Later'. :D Also excellent.

I feel like a good adventure book. I've not read the Count yet...

Profile Quote
Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 14 Apr , 2005 11:02 am
Per aspera ad astra

Rodia.... read it in French!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nichts Schöneres unter der Sonne als unter der Sonne zu sein.
(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
Rodia
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 14 Apr , 2005 11:04 am

:Q Superbe idee!

I wonder if the Institut Francais can help...

But right now I think it will have to wait because I need (NEED) to read Woolf's 'Orlando'.

[ img ]
Help me go to the North Pole! by Magic Madzik, on Flickr

TRYING TO GET TO THE NORTH POLE! You can help by voting: http://www.blogyourwaytothenorthpole.com/entries/244

Profile Quote
Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 14 Apr , 2005 11:45 am
Per aspera ad astra

Je te l'envoie - de toute façon je te dois un paquet.

I also would have put the two Jules Verne: 20.000 miles under the Sea and The mysterious Island on my list.

And maybe: Der Schatz im Silbersee. :love: Only Germans will know this one.

Nichts Schöneres unter der Sonne als unter der Sonne zu sein.
(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
Semprini
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 14 Apr , 2005 12:17 pm

A warning, Rodia: The Count is a fairly long book (1000 + pages) and it is so exciting that when you have started, you simply cannot stop reading! :)

Profile Quote
Frelga
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 14 Apr , 2005 8:38 pm
A green apple painted red

I am not knocking the Count, you know. :) The book is absorbing. It's just that I was never able to love the principal character, nor did I ever wish to step into his world.

Also, I am having trouble finding an unabridged version in the States. At least the libraries all seem to have a truncated story. :( Does anyone know of a specific edition I should look for?

Profile Quote
Amrunelen
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 15 Apr , 2005 12:01 am
wencherific

I know. It's just about impossible to find an unabridged one, I think. :Q

In all of the bookshops I've looked in, I haven't found a single copy that was unabridged.
Semprini wrote:
Amrunelen, read The Three Musketeers first. The Man with the Iron Mask is actually a part of the sequel to The Three Musketeers.
Will do. :) I already knew that about The Man in the Iron Mask from seeing the movie, but I'm sure the book is much better.

I also found The Count immediately enjoyable and would like to reread it, but I guess I should do that after reading all of the other books that sit on my shelf untouched. :whistle:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
dhspgt
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 15 Apr , 2005 6:35 am

:)

Last edited by dhspgt on Fri 22 Jul , 2005 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 15 Apr , 2005 8:52 am
Milk and kisses

Dumas and Verne, absolutely. :D
Rodia, next time I go to Spain, remind me to pick a "Capitán Alatriste" book for you. They're adventure novels set in Spain in the 17th century, sort of Spanish Musketeers stories, and very enjoyable. And they're making the movie, with Viggo playing the main character. :drool:

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 15 Apr , 2005 10:32 am
of Vinyamar

dhspgt, thanks for mentioning Watership Down. This was the first book that I ever read more than once. I think I read it four times in the space of about 18 months when I was about 10 years old. It led me into a whole realm of "Animal Fantasy" novels, if I can coin the phrase. I tried reading Shardik about 3 times afterwards before finally finishing it. I then looked for anything else in the same style that I could find. Some were good, some terrible and a few were excellent. So, my list of Animal Adventure stories!

Watership Down. Amazing
Shardik. Very good but not a suitable followup for WD. Definitely aimed at a more adult reader.
Duncton Wood. Superb. Probably my favourite in this style. Quite adult in tone and scope. Not a kiddies book!
Duncton Sequels. Very good. Never at the level of DW, but still excellent.
Animals of Farthing Wood. Good WD clone. Nice kiddies TV series made.
Black Fox Running Ok, nothing special.

Oh, and after that I picked up this book called "The Hobbit" and everything changed forever.

Alatar

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 2  [ 38 posts ]
Return to “Literary Rambles: There & Back Again...” | Jump to page 1 2 »
Jump to: