Reunion/Checkmate discussion thread

Post Reply   Page 37 of 41  [ 805 posts ]
Jump to page « 135 36 37 38 3941 »
Lady_of_Rohan
Post subject: Re: Reunion/Checkmate discussion thread
Posted: Tue 30 Sep , 2008 12:06 am
A maiden young and sad

:confused:

They load for me... You've refreshed the page, yes?

Ithilien, the garden of Gondor now desolate kept still a dishevelled dryad loveliness.

Sweet home Indiana
[ img ]

Profile Quote
Raksha The Demon
Posted: Tue 30 Sep , 2008 12:56 am

I've refreshed the page several times; and have also gone to the page via my Favorites bookmark; and, alas, still no sign of Faramir in drag :bang:

"And it is I, Raksha [the Demon] who answer!"

Profile Quote
Khorazîr
Posted: Tue 30 Sep , 2008 10:54 am

No, they're not the new ones. I seem to recall you having problems with the updated site loading before, Raksha. Apparently your browser doesn't load the most recent version, but an older one. If possible, perhaps you could empty the cache of your browser and try again. If this doesn't work, I can also mail you the images.

As for writing, I have to survive two more days of school, and then I can get some done. I have to finish a commission by early November, but I can't paint all the time, so that's going to be a nice distraction. Especially when there's some Faramir-tormenting going on -- but isn't that always? :D

Approaching novel-length: The Snake's Checkmate

Profile Quote
Raksha The Demon
Posted: Tue 30 Sep , 2008 5:34 pm

But if my browser is wonky (which it could be), then why can I see your lovely painting of Daeron and Luthien and the information (including the link for "First Fitting" and "The Entertainers") on your site, but the link takes me to Drawings, where there is still no sign of the drawings. How would my browser malfunction on one part of your site but not the other?

I'll try getting rid of my cache; if I can't see those drawings in a week, I'll let you know. Meanwhile, I hope you can write more posts soon!

Will you ever finish the Gladden Fields series - that was seriously gorgeous. You draw Numenoreans very close to the way I envision them.

Profile Quote
Khorazîr
Posted: Tue 30 Sep , 2008 6:47 pm

That's very strange indeed, and I have no explanation for it. :scratch:

As for the Gladden Fields series, I very much hope to return to it. I even have two drawings that await colouring. But first I have to finish illustrations for the children's Bible (and the deadline is looming somewhat threateningly here), and afterwards the same publisher wants me for a book on Austrian fairytales, and perhaps one on the childhood of Empress Elisabeth of Austria (the famous "Sissi") which I'd love to do. But hopefully I will manage to do a Tolkien painting in between these commissions. I sure miss it.

Profile Quote
Raksha The Demon
Posted: Tue 30 Sep , 2008 7:02 pm

Well, commissions actually pay you something, so they have a use besides taking you into different territory.

I guess my computer does not love at least part of your website. I seem to remember, the last time this happened, that I was eventually able to see the drawings or paintings, but it took a few days or a week. So I won't worry for awhile.

Profile Quote
Lady_of_Rohan
Posted: Thu 02 Oct , 2008 9:04 pm
A maiden young and sad

:suspicious: That is a strange thing indeed, Raksha.

I finished Victory of Eagles today! I quite approve of the way the dragons had a much larger role overall in the story, and seeing more of the events from Temeraire's perspective. I'm still not overly fond of Laurence, but I do feel bad for him. Seeing him loaded down with angst doesn't bring the same dark glee that loading down a certain someone else does. But I'm glad Novik isn't giving him a "you're a traitor, but since you did great deeds in the war, here's your free pass, all's forgiven, yay!" right away, either.

Still far too many semicolons in the text, though. ;)

Off to write!

Ithilien, the garden of Gondor now desolate kept still a dishevelled dryad loveliness.

Sweet home Indiana
[ img ]

Profile Quote
Raksha The Demon
Posted: Thu 02 Oct , 2008 9:34 pm

I thought the book an improvement over Empire of Ivory. Great portrait of Wellington, and I loved the Wellington-Roland interaction.

I really disliked the plot turn in the last book of Lawrence having to turn traitor to save most of the dragons of the world; which will, as far as I can tell, keep him out of military action for a long time. I think Novik wants to explore the different ways dragons are treated and interact with their cultures all over the world; I really loved the original premise of dragons and British Air Corps fighting Napoleon. Temeraire and Lawrence traveling all over the world and serving as catalysts (or initiators) of social reform doesn't excite me as much; I miss Maximus and Lily and the Loch Laggan Covert already. (what happened to Celeritas?)

I thought Novik dropped the plot-ball with Catherine's pregnancy; what did it serve except to trap her and Riley in an unwanted marriage, since the child is a boy?

I thought the last battle was wonderfully written; and am once more filled with admiration for Lien, who is smarter than almost anyone. And I loved her attempt to be rather motherly (if only to cozen her) to the captured Izkierka - their interview was a masterpiece of dialogue.

And of course I'm looking forward to the next book; though I doubt that Izkierka will get what she wants. I wonder how much longer Granby will be allowed to stay with her; she seems almost incapable of serving in a military manner, or taking anyone's orders.

RAKSHA :cool:

Profile Quote
Raksha The Demon
Posted: Fri 31 Oct , 2008 5:08 am

I haven't seen any activity here for awhile - I miss LoR and Khorazir; not to mention new postings of The Epic.

So I thought I'd present some pirate action of my own writing, while we're waiting to see Faramir & co. crash AJ's party, rain on his parade, etc:

Gamesmanship
http://stories.storiesofarda.com/chapte ... p?SID=6036

It's an Eomer & Faramir story; narrated by the King of the Mark, but with plenty of Faramir in it. Action! Pirates! Swordplay! Comedy (well, a little).

I wrote the first draft of this in September '06; and finally found an ending I liked, and polished it up last month.

Comments/reviews at the SoA site welcome!

And please post more of Checkmate!!!! :pray:

Profile Quote
Khorazîr
Posted: Fri 31 Oct , 2008 9:19 am

Hi Raksha, I'm still around, with a half-written post on my computer. I have just finished a large commission (bible for children) and am in the process of sending out the artwork to the publisher, as well as sketching for other commissions. Since I've taken up studies at university again I have to travel a lot, which gives me time for drawing, but, alas, not for writing.

But when next Thursday and my "show-lesson" (my headmistress is going to view one of my lessons at school in order to get me into a government programme which may save me a lot of additional studies, so it's fairly important I get that lesson and the preparations right) are over, the first thing I'll do is finish the post. I do miss writing, especially after reading your most excellent story (review will follow), which fired up my inspiration in the writing department (it was on leave during the bible-commission because I spent each free minute trying to finish the artwork).

So, the next post is in the making, and I also look forward to the next story of yours. :)

Profile Quote
Khorazîr
Posted: Fri 31 Oct , 2008 9:48 pm

I just recalled that your birthday is sometime around Halloween, Raksha. I have the feeling it was in fact yesterday, but I'm not sure. Anyway, happy birthday (belated or otherwise, unless I got the month wrong ... ). :)

Profile Quote
Khorazîr
Posted: Sun 09 Nov , 2008 3:08 pm

Oooh, a cliffhanger :D Good post. I didn't know Adun would be leading the hunting party. Hope he and Aurens have fun in the woods :devil:

I hope to finish my post later today. I have some catching up to do timewise, as my timeline is some two days behind yours at the moment, but I'll have reached the evening of the 6th when my post is finished.

Profile Quote
Raksha The Demon
Posted: Fri 14 Nov , 2008 5:20 am

Khorazîr wrote:
I just recalled that your birthday is sometime around Halloween, Raksha. I have the feeling it was in fact yesterday, but I'm not sure. Anyway, happy birthday (belated or otherwise, unless I got the month wrong ... ). :)

Thanx for remembering, Khorazir; my birthday was on Halloween. I haven't been able to spend as much time as I'd like on the computer, since I've apparently pulled a muscle in my left thigh, and sitting makes it worse :bang: .

I loved the two posts - would have liked to know what Faramir told Ranak. I hope that Eowyn gets to talk with Faramir-in-drag at AJ's shindig - Eowyn could really use a laugh :LMAO: , and the sight of her husband dressed up like that should give her some welcome comedy relief, though of course she won't be able to laugh too loudly.

And what went on between Azrahil and Inzilbeth?

RAKSHA, who can't wait for the party! :cheers:

Profile Quote
Khorazîr
Posted: Fri 14 Nov , 2008 9:09 am

Ouch, how did you manage that? Hope it gets better soon.

I'm pretty sure Faramir and Éowyn are going to get a chance to talk, hopefully in private, so that Éowyn can actually laugh out loud (if she feels inclined). As for what went on between Az and Inzi, we'll have to coordinate this, although there may be two slightly different versions. I'm also curious how the hunters fared in the woods.

Profile Quote
Raksha The Demon
Posted: Thu 11 Dec , 2008 3:11 am

Any new posts on the horizon?

My leg's better, though not 100% recovered.

Getting ready for winter, snow will soon be upon us. I'd love to read more tales of life in sunny Ihimbra.

RAKSHA :cool:

Profile Quote
Khorazîr
Posted: Thu 11 Dec , 2008 12:18 pm

Good to hear that your leg has improved.

Over here, we've had plenty of snow already (more than the entire last winter, I think). Right now it's just cold, but more snow is forecast for the weekend.

As for new posts, my next is half-written, but I'm waiting for LoR to disclose what's going on in her part of the story, so we can coordinate things properly. I haven't heard from her for some time, so I guess she's very busy at the moment.

Profile Quote
Khorazîr
Posted: Fri 26 Dec , 2008 9:30 am

Merry Christmas to all!

I wrote the post as far as I could (gonna be off to Vienna for a few days, starting tonight). Since LoR has plans for the party, I'm going to wait to see what she comes up with. I already look forward to that.

Profile Quote
Raksha The Demon
Posted: Wed 31 Dec , 2008 3:54 am

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! :toast:

Two great new posts; YAY! Eowyn is trying not to be the life of AJ's party. AJ's up to something; I mean other than claiming to be the father of Faramir and Eowyn's child. What is this 'proposal' he's about to spring? Does he want to go attack Rohan or something equally hare-brained?

I really, really hope that Faramir will eventually kill AJ; hopefully as publiclly as possible. I'm sure that Eowyn wants to; but it would be just a bit more satisfying (to me at least) if Faramir did the honors.

More posts soon, I hope - I can't wait until Eowyn and Faramir meet at the party!

Profile Quote
Khorazîr
Posted: Thu 01 Jan , 2009 3:06 pm

Happy New Year to you as well!

I was very pleased to find a parcel and a post waiting for me upon my return from Vienna yesterday, and since I'd been inspired to write throughout my stay in Austria, I used this morning for putting together a post. Shorter than usual, but I think that's ok because the scene should shift between Éowyn and Faramir more quickly now. I'm very curious if she recognised him or not, and what AJ is going to proclaim to his guests.

I liked Adûn's report of what happened in the forest. Now there's a troubled young man. And speaking of young men with problems, Khazen seems to be an ... er ... interesting fellow.

Oh, and last but not least, I'm supposed to tell LoR that Faramir's enjoying his cookies very much :D

Profile Quote
Lady_of_Rohan
Posted: Fri 02 Jan , 2009 6:11 pm
A maiden young and sad

Happy new year to all! :)

Between car accidents, ice storms, power outages and extra hours at work, life's been rather chaotic. One night I was getting ready to work on the party post and had just plugged in my laptop to charge when suddenly the lights flickered a few times and went out. And they stayed out! Ohhhh that was irritating, because I had totally set aside that evening to work on it. (So I outlined some of it via candlelight. Eowyn even let me borrow a shiny red candleholder she had just received. ;))

Attack Rohan? No, AJ isn't that crazy, but he comes close. Let's just leave it at this: I've been reading some of the speeches made during the American Revolution. :cool:

Khazen is what happens when you've been off certain substances too long. *sigh*

Glad that Faramir likes his sweets! Eowyn and cook are rummaging through the kitchen, trying to find flavor oils and other ingredients to add to the chessboard cookies to make them tastier.

Oh, and next time Faramir wants snow to fall on the Emyn Arnen, tell him he can keep his mouth shut.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/12488254@N ... 385374609/

Sweet home Indiana
[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 37 of 41  [ 805 posts ]
Return to “Literary Rambles: There & Back Again...” | Jump to page « 135 36 37 38 3941 »
Jump to: