board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Reunion/Checkmate discussion thread

Post Reply   Page 38 of 41  [ 805 posts ]
Jump to page « 136 37 38 39 40 41 »
Khorazîr
Post subject: Re: Reunion/Checkmate discussion thread
Posted: Fri 02 Jan , 2009 10:55 pm

Beautiful photos, but I guess they're much nicer like that than having to actually endure the icestorm. Forecast has given warnings of very wintry weather for the next couple of days, yet I doubt it's going to get as bad as this.

Even tastier chessboard cookies? :Q Wow! I thought they were just right (nicked one, hope Faramir hasn't noticed).

Look forward to the speeches. Gonna send you an email with ideas of what may happen afterwards. :devil:

Approaching novel-length: The Snake's Checkmate

Profile Quote
Lady_of_Rohan
Posted: Wed 07 Jan , 2009 5:04 pm
A maiden young and sad

The cookies were supposed to have a bit of orange zest mixed in, but I didn't have any. I think maybe a bit of peppermint might go well with them next time.

Will work on speechwriting tonight, among other scenes. :devil:

Ithilien, the garden of Gondor now desolate kept still a dishevelled dryad loveliness.

Sweet home Indiana
[ img ]

Profile Quote
Khorazîr
Posted: Wed 07 Jan , 2009 5:41 pm

Oh, the cookies were great as they were (I'm not so much for mixing fruit with chocolate ...) . Just the right consistency, too.

As for writing, I think I'll get some done tonight as well. I should be doing work for school and uni, but can't muster the self-control and motivation for it. Should finish some drawings, too, so perhaps there's a better chance of me actually accomplishing something in that department. So far I've wasted (ok, not wasted) the afternoon watching the 1932 version of "A Farewell to Arms" on youtube, realising yet again that Gary Cooper was really good looking in his early thirties -- somewhat Númenorean, even. Must look for more films with him now.

Look forward to the speeches.

Profile Quote
Khorazîr
Posted: Thu 22 Jan , 2009 5:48 pm

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Happy Birthday, LoR!

Profile Quote
Lady_of_Rohan
Posted: Thu 22 Jan , 2009 11:39 pm
A maiden young and sad

:horse: :horse: :horse:

I HAVE A PIRATE-SHIP SHAPED COOKIE CUTTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This must be tested.

Thanks! :D:D

(Totally selfless? Hah, right. ;))

Ithilien, the garden of Gondor now desolate kept still a dishevelled dryad loveliness.

Sweet home Indiana
[ img ]

Profile Quote
Khorazîr
Posted: Fri 23 Jan , 2009 1:02 pm

Lady_of_Rohan wrote:
(Totally selfless? Hah, right. ;))
Entirely ;) Look forward to the results :D

How are we going to proceed, btw? Were you going to post first or me? I have a half-written post I could finish in the next couple of days (and a much longer also half-written post for a scene that's going to take place some time after the feast, involving a certain young and not-very-happy-at-that-time Umbarian -- not to mention the other party who's not exactly happy, either ... :devil:). Ah, but first things first. Hope you had a good birthday.

Profile Quote
Lady_of_Rohan
Posted: Sat 24 Jan , 2009 9:58 am
A maiden young and sad

I'm going to post first. This evening (unless I fall asleep -- had to be at work at 4:30 this morning) and Sunday are scheduled for post-writing sessions.

Looking forward to the meeting of unhappy parties. ;)

Birthday was pretty good. Wasn't scheduled to work, so I got to sleep in and watch movies. I'd gone on a DVD shopping spree (yay sales!) and stopped by the library, so I have plenty of films to watch.

Anyone know what the big deal over Moleskine notebooks is? A friend of mine swears by them when it comes to sketching and travel journalling. The only ones I've found are wrapped in plastic, so I can't flip one open and see what the paper's like or how it feels. I don't want to buy one only to find out that it's all just hype. :scratch:

Sweet home Indiana
[ img ]

Profile Quote
Khorazîr
Posted: Sat 24 Jan , 2009 6:16 pm

I have to admit my complete ignorance about these mysterious notebooks. My sketchbook of choice are the Daler-Rowney ones. They come in different sizes and colours (I prefer the black ones) and contain excellent and rather heavy drawing paper (150 gsm). Most other sketchbooks have lighter paper, which isn't as good for drawing. What moreover confirmed me in my choice was seeing Alan Lee sketching for the LotR movies in one of the Making Ofs, and he was using a Daler-Rowney, too. :cool:

As for posts, I'm going to mail you some of what I've come up with for my next post -- which of course can be altered if it doesn't fit. ;)

Profile Quote
Lady_of_Rohan
Posted: Fri 06 Feb , 2009 2:56 am
A maiden young and sad

Bleh, writing speeches that kiss up to AJ kinda make me sick.

But until then, here are some pictures I stumbled upon [best firefox extension ever!] last night.
Happy Adun!
Grumpy Adun, but pretty horses.
Happy Adun, pretty horse.
She really is adorable.
Azrahil's old horse? Might be too fancy.
Flying
Don't know who these two are, but I like the photo.
Nothing to do with the story, but it's a great capture.
Narejde before Zohran broke her? Also, Swarovski crystal bridle? The rich really are different.
Colorful tassles!
Rawr! I attack the sand!
Wavy sand
Southron!

Sweet home Indiana
[ img ]

Profile Quote
Raksha The Demon
Posted: Fri 06 Feb , 2009 3:15 am

Belated HAPPY BIRTHDAY to LadyofRohan!!!
:horse: :drunk: :birthday: :birthday:

I'm hoping for a new post soon, pretty please? I want to know what AJ is up to; and does Eowyn know that Faramir is there?

"And it is I, Raksha [the Demon] who answer!"

Profile Quote
Khorazîr
Posted: Fri 06 Feb , 2009 9:13 am

Hm, that's what Faramir'd like to know as well ;)

Great pics, LoR. Makes me want to do some drawing.

Concerning pics, for me, Adûn is that one guy from the movie "Hidalgo", played by Saïd Taghmaoui
http://www.imdb.com/media/rm2566166784/nm0846548" target="_blank (he's got a different beard there)
He's got the right mix of "Al-Jahmîrishness" and insecurity/vulnerability. And he rides a great horse in that movie :)

Btw, I've actually drawn a pic of the meeting of Faramir and Éowyn, although I'm not sure yet if the scene is going to happen that way ;) Hope we'll get there soon.

Oh, and Narejde was never broken by Zohrân. It was the other way round. Says she. :devil:

Profile Quote
Lady_of_Rohan
Posted: Fri 20 Feb , 2009 1:45 pm
A maiden young and sad

Should have said this yesterday after posting, but a happy birthday to Khorazîr. :D :horse: :horse: :horse: :birthday:

Sweet home Indiana
[ img ]

Profile Quote
Khorazîr
Posted: Fri 20 Feb , 2009 2:29 pm

Thanks a lot. I've just eaten the last of the pirateship-cookies. :D :D :D
Very tasty, and almost all arrived intact (only one of the lions was damaged). :cool:

Profile Quote
Lady_of_Rohan
Posted: Fri 20 Feb , 2009 2:30 pm
A maiden young and sad

And the oliphaunt alarm? ;)

Sweet home Indiana
[ img ]

Profile Quote
Khorazîr
Posted: Fri 20 Feb , 2009 3:40 pm

Ooh, yes, almost forgot that one. It hangs in the kitchen now (the cats love it, so even there's no wind, it jingles all the time), because I thought that's where an oliphaunt is the most inconvenient, with all the food standing there. ;)

Oh, and I liked the post. So, Éowyn knows? I look forward to AJ's grand speech. But first I have to deal with the fellow. :devil:

Profile Quote
Lady_of_Rohan
Posted: Fri 20 Feb , 2009 6:52 pm
A maiden young and sad

The kitchen, of course! The boys are quite impressed. ;)

Éowyn isn't 100% sure, but she has a strong suspicion. :devil: I also look forward to seeing what the stars have in store for our favorite party host.

Sweet home Indiana
[ img ]

Profile Quote
Raksha The Demon
Posted: Sat 21 Feb , 2009 12:29 am

Looking forward to more soon!

It's very annoying that AJ and his cronies keep referring to Eowyn as a jewel, a prize, like she's just a bauble to be snatched and then exhibited. I'm not even a feminist and I would find it tedious! (well, not if someone I loved thought of me as a jewel, but this is in context of her being torn from her own people and now presented as belonging to Marek, a prize to be gawked at and Marek admired for his daring in kidnapping her).

So what does AJ have in mind; so far he's being very vague about his plans, only implying that Umbar is suffering under the heavy hand of oppressors - is it? Does he or anyone know that Elessar is sending ships against them and hopefully more than ships (i.e. a few thousand mad-as-hornets Rohirrim)?

When will we see Eowyn getting her fortune told by the mysterious veiled lady? Presumably that fortune will include a baby born in Ithilien, a happy reunion with three little boys and a big brother and AJ's head on a platter or pickled in a jar...

"And it is I, Raksha [the Demon] who answer!"

Profile Quote
Lady_of_Rohan
Posted: Sat 07 Mar , 2009 2:00 am
A maiden young and sad

AJ's plans will be revealed in AJ's Big Speech, which is coming up in my next post. According to him and a few others Umbar is suffering under oppressors; others may not see things that way. Oh, believe me, the news is going to break that the fleet has arrived in Umbar, and AJ's going to end up doing something a bit unplanned and rather rash. As for Eowyn getting her own fortune told, I think that's coming up sometime within the next 2-3 posts, depending on how the party wraps up.

In other news, Naomi Novik has announced that "His Majesty's Dragon" is now available in PDF format for free! (In an even more stunning discovery, I found she uses a total of 6 semicolons in her past 20 Livejournal posts. How the books can be littered with them, I don't know. *sigh*)

Sweet home Indiana
[ img ]

Profile Quote
Khorazîr
Posted: Sat 07 Mar , 2009 6:30 pm

Perhaps it was the copy editors putting in all those semicolons ... :scratch:

The pdf is great news as it makes quoting from the book and searching for particular information so much easier. Hope she's going to do it for the other books as well. Hope I get commissioned to do the illus for books 4 - 6 as well ... ;)

Two days ago there was "Master and Commander" on TV ... :drool:

Reminded me of my half-finished naval uniform (captain's undress, around 1806). Hmm, ok, so half-finished is rather optimistic: I've got the coat (yeah, I started with the most difficult bit of sewing -- and was surprised how manageable it turned out to be, even for someone like me with little sewing experience), and the waistcoat except for the button holes which are evil to sew by hand. But I still lack shirt and trowsers (the wool and linen are already there, I've even got a great pattern for the shirt, but, alas, not enough time). And I need at least one epaulette. Perhaps I should check at http://www.militaryheritage.com" target="_blank, one of those websites that shouldn't be accessible to persons interested in historical reenactment but with limited financial means ...

If I had time enough for sewing, I think I'd like to do an aviator-uniform as well ... *sigh*

Hrm, but back to TSC. I look forward to AJ's speech. Should be very interesting. :devil:

Profile Quote
Khorazîr
Posted: Sun 29 Mar , 2009 10:29 am

How's AJ's Big Speech coming on? The book I'm reading at the moment makes me want to write something as well ... ;)

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 38 of 41  [ 805 posts ]
Return to “Literary Rambles: There & Back Again...” | Jump to page « 136 37 38 39 40 41 »
Jump to: