board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Who in the Sil has the most pathos? No scorn involved. :)

Post Reply   Page 1 of 3  [ 46 posts ]
Jump to page 1 2 3 »
Who gets the rawest deal?
Turin

33% [ 5 ]
Nienor/Niniel

40% [ 6 ]
Hurin

7% [ 1 ]
Morwen

0% [ 0 ]
Finduilas

13% [ 2 ]
Brandir

0% [ 0 ]
someone even more pathetic

7% [ 1 ]
Total votes: 15
Axordil
Post subject: Who in the Sil has the most pathos? No scorn involved. :)
Posted: Tue 19 Apr , 2005 4:24 pm
Not so deep as a well

As opposed to tragic, which has all that classical baggage to the definition...it's got to be someone in the Narn i Hin Hurin, but there are soooo many to pick from...

Last edited by Axordil on Wed 20 Apr , 2005 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Destiny is a rhythm track on which we must improvise.

In some cases, firing the drummer helps.

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 19 Apr , 2005 4:35 pm
Living in hope

It's got to be Nienor/Niniel. Completely innocent and a completely horrible fate.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 19 Apr , 2005 4:45 pm
Another bright red day

Agreed. Túrin, much as I love him, had a lot of chances for things to go differently. Nienor was just caught in the net of misfortune through no doing of her own. Just an innocent bystander.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
TORN
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 19 Apr , 2005 5:43 pm
THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

AX--

YOU GOT ME ALL EXCITED WITH THE TITLE TO THIS THREAD, FOR WHO BETTER TO DETERMINE THE MOST SAD AND PATHETIC OF THE CHARACTERS IN THE SILMARILLION THAN ME, THE SAD PATHETIC EXCUSE OF A MESSAGEBOARD (GREAT AND POWERFUL THOUGH I AM). THEN I READ YOUR POLL AND I SEE YOU'RE JUST LOOKING FOR WHO GOT THE RAWEST DEAL -- A VERY DIFFERENT QUESTION, AND ONE IN WHICH I HAVE NO INTEREST WHATSOEVER (AS YOU MAY HAVE SURMISSED BY NOW, I AM MUCH MORE INTERESTED IN SELF-INFLICTED TRAGEDY THAN IN UNDESERVED WOUNDS, UNLESS OF COURSE I AM THE ONE INFLICTING SUCH WOUNDS)!!! THEREFORE, I AM BOYCOTTING YOUR POLL, THEREBY WHOLLY NEGATING THE VALIDITY OF ANY SO-CALLED RESULTS YOU MAY BELIEVE YOU OBTAIN FROM IT!!!

:x :x :x

SIGNED,

THE RESIDENT MISERABLE POLTROO

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 19 Apr , 2005 6:09 pm

E. All of the above. :)

And throw in Beleg and Gwindor, as well.

Profile Quote
halplm
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 19 Apr , 2005 6:19 pm
b77 whipping boy

I agree with TORN, the question in the title, and the question int he Poll aren't the same...

The whole of "Narn i Hin Hurin" is filled with more tragedy than I care to deal with...

As for most "Pathetic" I would chose any of Feanor's son's, but then again they chose their oath.

The name that jumped out at me when I first saw the thread was Thingol, who got caught up in the same lust for the Silmaril as the rest of them, but was bound by no oath, and it still caused his death.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Profile Quote
Mummpizz
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 19 Apr , 2005 6:20 pm
Gloriosus

Voronwe_the_Faithful wrote:
E. All of the above. :)

And throw in Beleg and Gwindor, as well.
And the whole Silmarillion behind.

I voted Finduilas, as she's got the most unrewarding part to play: fall in love with a dumb hero, get abducted, and then killed in the attempt of rescue (sans love, pity, but what can one do about it). Therefore she gets the award as most realistic and most pathetic part.

Or did I mistake Finduilas for somebody else? As my comment above mentions, I don't think too good of the Silmarillion.

– – –

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 19 Apr , 2005 6:25 pm
Not so deep as a well

Beleg and Gwindor...yeah, I thought about adding them.

Thingol I find more classically tragic than pathetic...along with Feanor and his ilk.

Profile Quote
halplm
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 19 Apr , 2005 6:37 pm
b77 whipping boy

I guess it depends on which definition of Pathetic you use...
Quote:
pa·thet·ic ( P ) Pronunciation Key (p-thtk) also pa·thet·i·cal (--kl)
adj.
1. Arousing or capable of arousing sympathetic sadness and compassion: “The old, rather shabby room struck her as extraordinarily pathetic” (John Galsworthy).
2. Arousing or capable of arousing scornful pity.
I generally think of the second definition, which is what I think of for Thingol and Feanor's sons...

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 20 Apr , 2005 2:30 pm
Not so deep as a well

I will reword the thread title appropriately. :)

Profile Quote
halplm
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 20 Apr , 2005 2:50 pm
b77 whipping boy

ah yes, thank you :)

Profile Quote
Ara-anna
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 20 Apr , 2005 4:17 pm
Daydream Believer

The damn trees....

Tree one: Oh nice day, think I will just stand around and relax
Tree two: Yup.
Tree one: What the hell?
Tree two: Dude your falling over....dude....hey what the hell????

Ok I think its Nienor/Niniel, sad sad messed up stuff there.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in

Five seconds away from the Tetons and Yellowstone

Profile Quote
Nienor SharkAttack
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 20 Apr , 2005 5:29 pm

Agree. ;)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Wilma
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 22 Apr , 2005 10:39 pm
Takoyaki is love

I picked Nienel/niniel, but I think Finduilas should be up there too. The story is so sad. Why did Turin have to be so stubborn.

Itoshiki Sensei from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Avatar by: sparklessence

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 23 Apr , 2005 4:50 pm

Wilma wrote:
I picked Nienel/niniel, but I think Finduilas should be up there too. The story is so sad. Why did Turin have to be so stubborn.
Wilma, I don't think that statements like that about Turin can be made without taking into account the fact that from the time that he was a small child until the time of his death, he was under the direct curse of Morgoth. All of his actions must be judged in that light. And, of course, when he allowed Finduilas to be carried off to her horrible death, he was caught by the binding spell of the lidless eyes of Glaurung, father of dragons.

Yes, Turin was stubborn, and that stubbornness led to great sorrow for him and those he loved. But how much of that stubbornness was due to his own nature and how much of it was due to Morgoth's curse? Its hard to say, but one indication of Tolkien's own opinion of Turin's inate worth is the fact that in older versions of the mythology, in the final battle, when Morgoth returns from the void, it is Turin that strikes him down finally. And in these older tales, "it issaid that Turin is named 'among the Gods.'"

Actually I think my vote for who is the most "pathetic" (as the question was initially phrased) would probably go to poor Sador Labadal, who fled from his fear only to meet it head on.

Profile Quote
Wilma
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 24 Apr , 2005 1:42 am
Takoyaki is love

So I guess the question is how much responsibility does Turin have for the situation? ;) That I don't know. I always thought that Turin was presented with an oppourtunity to escape the curse. At least that is what I thought. It was just up to him to take it. I must say though that I really didn't understand most of the story until the fourth read of the Sil and right now I am on my fifth

I'd like to ask people who are more familiar with the story, how many decisions that Turin made were curse influenced, and where if any were there any oppourtunites for Turin to escape the curse.

Itoshiki Sensei from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Avatar by: sparklessence

"There is no such thing as coincidence in this world, only hitsuzen." - Yuko Ichihara and Kimihiro Watanuki - xxxHolic

"I'm modest, I'll keep my knickers on and die!" - My sister Grace commenting on Bear Gryllis on an episode of Oprah :rofl:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 24 Apr , 2005 2:01 am
Another bright red day

I haven't read either the Silm or the UT in ages (and I really should), but it always seemed to me that Túrin had chances to take another route. Obviously things like his meeting Niniel and her not remembering anything are the curse working and the slaying of Beleg, but other things didn't have to be the way they were, for example his choice not to accept the mercy of Thingol. (It was Thingol, right?). I'm sure someone else will come along and correct, but that was my impression.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 24 Apr , 2005 4:10 am

"But upon all whom you love my thought shall weight as a cloud of Doom, and it shall bring them down into darkness and despair. Wherever they go, evil shall arise. Whenever they speak, their words shall bring ill counsel. Whatsoever they do shall turn against them. They shall die without hope, cursing both life and death."

Last edited by Voronwë_the_Faithful on Sun 24 Apr , 2005 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Quote
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 24 Apr , 2005 3:10 pm
Another bright red day

Told you someone would come along and correct me.

Profile Quote
Axordil
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 24 Apr , 2005 6:18 pm
Not so deep as a well

Which brings up the question: just how did Melkor work his will upon Turin et al? What were the mechanics of the curse? Or was it all smoke and mirrors to twist Hurin's mind against Thingol? If Melkor could cause some of the "mischances" that afflicted Turin et al, it implies that he had a function more akin to the traditional Christian devil, able to actually cause things to happen, and to enter the minds of men...which seems at odds with his physicality as JRRT portrays.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 3  [ 46 posts ]
Return to “Literary Rambles: There & Back Again...” | Jump to page 1 2 3 »
Jump to: