board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Lemony Snicket's a Series of Unfortunate Events

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]
Lord_Morningstar
Post subject: Lemony Snicket's a Series of Unfortunate Events
Posted: Thu 28 Apr , 2005 10:45 am

My first b77 thread.

Someone else must want to discuss these, surely? They seemed like normal children’s books at first glance, but the more I delve into them the more advanced, amusing and complex I find them.

I like the way that Lemony Snicket himself is not only the author and narrator but a character in the story. I find his numerous aside comments pretty funny, and his references to past events are intriguing. The dedications to Beatrice at the start of each book are pretty amusing.

I like the way that the books are overall quite dark and deal with some pretty advanced stuff. They’re obviously geared towards children, but Book the First has been banned in some places (read: some counties in the Southern USA) because of its alleged insinuation of incest. Still, the books are tasteful, and I wouldn’t not let children read them. In fact, I would openly encourage it; they’re packed with all sorts of information, are intelligent and complex and are great for vocabulary expansion. I even learned a few new words (‘xenial’, anyone?).

Yes, they are contrived and repetitive, but I’m willing to take both of these for their good qualities. Also, children’s literature demands a certain degree of both. At present, 11 of the proposed 13 books have been published.

My opinions on the individual books are:
[SPOILERS]

The Bad Beginning

I liked the way the book dived straight into the action. Clearly, it isn’t meant to stand alone, which is, in many ways, an advantage as there’s plenty left unsaid. Very dark for a children’s book; the way that Olaf’s assistants treat Violet creeps me out. I also like the fact that Snicket has written an unlikable villain for us.

The Reptile Room

I didn’t really like this one too much; I found it a bit slow and uninteresting, and that also goes for Stefano and Uncle Monty. Zombies in the Snow sounds like a lousy film.

The Wide Window

Lake Lachrymose is an interesting place, as is the village. I also find Aunt Josephine a colourful, if frustrating, character.

The Miserable Mill

A nice little book, but not too much to comment on. I wonder who Dr. Orwell and Sir were and how they fit into all this. I know that repetition lies at the heart of children's literature, but I'm starting to get sick of the basic premise of a new guardian and a new disguise by this stage.

The Austere Academy

I find this one pretty amusing, and I like the Quagmire Triplets. It is one of the deeper books, with a number of clues and lots of in-jokes and references to history and literature. It’s the first book in which the ending in somewhat different, showing a variation in the usual pattern. I tend to consider this one the start of the more serious books.

The Ersatz Elevator

I liked this one. The whole ‘in’ thing was a great tongue-in-cheek social commentary, and I find Jerome amusingly frustrating. The welding tongs idea seems a bit too way out, though. More mysteries; but it will be a long time before we get answers.

The Vile Village

I liked this one too. I found Hector and his little subplot interesting, and I liked the whole concept of the Village of Fowl Devotees. I think that it might have been more effective, though, if the Quagmires were not rescued; not now at least, anyway. Interesting to see that the characters are developing; Klaus turning 13 and Sunny learning to walk. Too often, children’s books leave the children at 11 or whatever perpetually.

The Hostile Hospital

I didn’t really like this one; I know that the story is meant to be a bit surreal but I find the idea that Klaus and Sunny could disguise themselves in surgical masks and fool everyone terribly contrived, and I doubt they could have escaped. I also find the book a little depressing (even more than usual). I got the Volunteer’s Fighting Disease song in my head and walked around mumbling it.

The Carnivorous Carnival

One of the better books IMHO; yes, the disguises are again, contrived, but I find Kevin really funny and we finally start to get some answers. I love the parody of mod psychology and prejudice. First children’s book that I’ve read in which characters are actually eaten by lions (the Volunteer Feline Detectives?). I think that more answers are needed, though. This is the first of the really serious ones, IMHO.

The Slippery Slope

Probably my favourite book in the series. We get enough information to keep us going, as well as some new mysteries. I like the setting, and I like the character of Quigley Quagmire. I also like it how the orphans are starting to get proactive.

The Grim Grotto

I like the ending of this one, especially with the poetry, but I found the book overall a bit slow, and the submarine Captain dreadfully annoying. Also, I find Fiona a poor substitute for Quigley, and I would have liked to have found more out about that menacing couple and the eagles. Interesting to see that the Baudelaires are now members of the VFD.

Does anyone know anything about the next book? I know it comes sometime in October, but there’s no word on titles or anything.

Profile Quote
Meneltarma
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 28 Apr , 2005 7:31 pm
Fading Softly

I keep planning to buy these...I read the dedications pages whenever I'm in a bookshop, and :LMAO: . Poor Beatrice

I may buy the first book later this week...will let you know what I think of it. :)

Last edited by Meneltarma on Thu 28 Apr , 2005 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Quote
halplm
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 28 Apr , 2005 7:39 pm
b77 whipping boy

I didn't get into the first book, but I always intended to go back to it. I did enjoy the movie... which I think is the first three books? Or an amalgam of those three and others?

It did make me want to get back to it, though.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Profile Quote
Lord_Morningstar
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 28 Apr , 2005 8:15 pm

halplm wrote:
I didn't get into the first book, but I always intended to go back to it. I did enjoy the movie... which I think is the first three books? Or an amalgam of those three and others?
An adaptation of the first three.

By the way, Meneltarma, I think you might be referring to Beatrice ;)

Profile Quote
Meneltarma
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 28 Apr , 2005 9:07 pm
Fading Softly

Whatever do you mean? :D

*editeditedit*

Alright, it's been a while since I was in a bookshop.:P

Profile Quote
peeg
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 30 Apr , 2005 8:16 am
You Tolkien to me?

I've read them up to the Vile Village, and part of the Hostile Hospital, but to tell you the truth after a while all that bad luck started to irk me. And the books were getting repetitive. All i really wanna know is what the hell VFD is and what happens to the Quagmire Triplets. 8-) ;)

I didn't watch the movie, because the though it Jin Carrey as Count Olaf was so repulsive that i actually felt it would ruin a series i didn't like much in the first place :D ;)

BTW, who's Beatrice? Memory like a seive, i swear.....;)

[ img ]

"You can think and you can fight, but the world's always moving and if you wanna stay ahead you gotta dance"
~Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Meneltarma
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 30 Apr , 2005 7:11 pm
Fading Softly

Read the dedications pages. :D

Profile Quote
Lord_Morningstar
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 30 Apr , 2005 11:15 pm

peeg wrote:
I've read them up to the Vile Village, and part of the Hostile Hospital, but to tell you the truth after a while all that bad luck started to irk me. And the books were getting repetitive. All i really wanna know is what the hell VFD is [...]
The Slippery Slope and the The Grim Grotto.
peeg wrote:
[...]and what happens to the Quagmire Triplets. 8-)
No idea. We'll probably find out in books the twelfth and thirteenth.
peeg wrote:
BTW, who's Beatrice? Memory like a seive, i swear.....
Lemony Snicket's ill-fated love interest, to whom all of the books are dedicated.
SPOILERS
Some people speculate that she is really Mrs. Beaudelaire. Based on some clues in the books, it is quite possible that she is still alive while the actual story is happening, and is only killed in book the twelfth or thirteenth.

Profile Quote
peeg
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 01 May , 2005 8:08 am
You Tolkien to me?

Oh, that's right!! Always had interesting dedications, those books. And i always liked the way Snicket put in a bit of his own story parallel to the Baudelaire's story.

BTW, Lord M, since i'm probably not going to read the rest of the books, could you tell me what VFD is after all? And if it's some dumb volunteer fighting disease service i'm going to..... :rage: :roll:

[ img ]

"You can think and you can fight, but the world's always moving and if you wanna stay ahead you gotta dance"
~Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Lord_Morningstar
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 01 May , 2005 9:36 am

I didn't like the Hostile Hospital myself, but I think the next two books, the Carnivorous Carnival and the Slippery Slope, are excellent.

As for VFD, let's just say that it means many things ;)

For a start...Vertical Flame Diversion, Volunteer Feline Detectives, Vernacularly Fastened Door, Verdant Flammable Device, Verse Flucuation Declaration, Volenteer Factual Dispatch, Village of the Fowl Devotees, Volunteers Fighting Disease, Violet's First Date...

Profile Quote
vison
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 01 May , 2005 8:06 pm
Best friends forever

My ten year old grandson has read all these books and loves them dearly. He's waiting for the 12th one. I think he's the ideal age, actually. I've dipped in, but I find the books a tad "precious" although admittedly well-written. I like the use of fancy words and the definitions being built in.

He's in an Accelerated Reading program at his school, and the people who designed the tests included Lemony Snickett books, which is cool. He got wonderfully high marks, since he loves the books so much.

My 8 year old grandson has begun Book #1, but it's hard going for him. He can READ it all right, but it doesn't interest him. He prefers these books about cars and their engines, etc., and since reading about engine capacity and horsepower is just as tricky as reading Literature, he's free to read what he likes.

Living on Earth is expensive,
but it does include a free trip
around the sun every year.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]
Return to “Literary Rambles: There & Back Again...”
Jump to: