board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Gateways to Wonder: the books you loved in childhood

Post Reply   Page 3 of 3  [ 51 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3
WampusCat
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 24 Jul , 2005 2:31 am

I love this thread! So many pleasant memories. My childhood favorites, more or less in order of lasting impact:

Lord of the Rings, which was always part of my life since I heard my father and brother discuss it at length even before I read it at 10. And I've read it over and over again ever since.

Narnia Chronicles, which was recommended by a librarian who understood what made me tick.

A Wrinkle in Time, which made sense to me deep down.

Zenna Henderson's books and stories about the People: The People: No Different Flesh and Pilgrimage: A Book of The People, which I still love for their humanity and spirit.

All of Edward Eager's books, especially Seven Day Magic

Anything by Ray Bradbury

The Brains Benton mysteries -- now THAT's obscure. Anybody else even heard of 'em?

Edit to fix coding.

Word shaper / Soul tender / Melody maker

Profile Quote
cemthinae
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 24 Jul , 2005 2:58 pm
TTBK's cemmie

My mom is a huge fan of Madelaine L'engle and when she gave me her copy of Wrinkle In Time I just couldn't put it down!

My favorite would be Many Waters. Once of the most amazing reads ever in my short life!! :D

I recently ran across a non fiction book of her's in Barne & Noble. I was looking for a copy of A Year With C S Lewis, and having found it drifted around in the "L" section. What caught my eye was the shiny blue cover of the book, but when I saw the author's name I immediately pulled it off the shelf.

The book is called Walking On Water and it is her perspective on christianity and the art it inspires. I've read through it a few times and have simply been amazed each time I do. I would highly recommend it to anyone seeking inspiration!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
WampusCat
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 24 Jul , 2005 4:15 pm

Cem, I agree totally about "Walking on Water." It's a terrific book.

Profile Quote
S_O
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 24 Jul , 2005 5:29 pm
I love lamp!

Hmm . . . I remember loving The Barenstein Bears, Where the Wild Things Are, Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day, Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs, Lon Po-Po (awesome book!), any Dr. Seuss, The Hungry Caterpiller, Stone Soup, anything Hans Christian Anderson (especially the Little Mermaid), and a book (I can't remember the name) about a village who's plagued by mosquitoes every year and one year they make this enormous peanut butter and jelly sandwich to catch them just to name a few.

I didn't realize I was such a book worm even back then! :roll: Yeesh.

When I grew a little older I read A Wrinkle in Time, but not Anne of Green Gables. I did watch the mini-series though (I still love Colleen Dewhurst as Marilla). There was also The Babysitter's Club, any Ramona book, The Giving Tree (actually anything by Shell Silverstein), The Three Musketeers, Black Beauty, My Teacher's an Alien, The Thing that Ate the School, and so many other books that I can't even remember them all.

Oh and a little Stephen King. ;)

[ img ]
Thank you Isabel!! :hug: :love:

Profile Quote
Dave_LF
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 14 Sep , 2005 7:57 am
You are hearing me talk

The Hardy Boys owned. I don't want to hear anything about Tom Swift or Nancy Drew--Frank and Joe could kick all their asses. :D I read most of the originals when I was in elementary school (libraries still had them in those days), and really got into the casefiles when they started publishing them (that was the same year my family lived in Vicksburg, Mississippi, and there was so little money and so few things to do that my parents took us to Wal-Mart for fun. I got a lot of reading done that year). Sadly, that series went downhill quite a bit after the people who wrote the first 20 or 30 moved on, and many of the darker elements I enjoyed disappeared. I still own a big pile of casefiles and, truth be told, just finished rereading all of them (my mom made me take my old books out of her house after I got married :D). It was a nice trip down memory lane, though I can't believe I missed all those plot holes when I was a kid.

Next stop, Choose Your Own Adventure...

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 14 Sep , 2005 8:48 am
of Vinyamar

Ah yes, The Warlock of Firetop Mountain and all the subsequent Steve Jackson "Fighting Fantasy" books. I think that deserves a seperate thread....

The Hardy Boys were good, but I always preferred The Three Investigators.

Incidentally, The Hardy Boys were played by Parker Stevenson and Shaun Cassidy. Anyone else was a foul interloper. Oh, and Nancy Drew was a Pamela Sue Martin and they had crossover episodes. I think they even started out in the same series, "The Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew"

And the Famous Five wore flairs and were set in the 70's.

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
vison
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 14 Sep , 2005 3:05 pm
Best friends forever

Tarzan. And the Barsoom books by the same author: Edgar Rice Burroughs.

Oh, I read a LOT, but these were among my most favourite for many years.

Profile Quote
WampusCat
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 14 Sep , 2005 9:24 pm

I loved an obscure series called the Brains Benton mysteries. Still have them, in fact.

EDIT to say: Oops! I see I already mentioned that. Never mind.

(backs out whistling...)

Profile Quote
Estel
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 02 Jun , 2006 1:53 am
Pure Kitsch Flavor

Whenever I think of books I read as a kid, one of the first authors that I think of is EE Nesbit (sp?). She wrote books like "Five Children and It". Other than the Narnia series, she was my first introduction to the world of fantasy. The only problem is, I can't reread her, as I can't find any of her books in the bookstore :(

I've been on a childrens and teens book kick lately, so this thread is definitely helping with tips :)

Profile Quote
Lidless
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 02 Jun , 2006 4:08 am
Als u het leven te ernstig neemt, mist u de betekenis.

I'm sorry to say I loved (and still do) the 1930-40's Lensman space operas by EE 'Doc' Smith. And no, I'm not that old.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Estel
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 02 Jun , 2006 5:43 pm
Pure Kitsch Flavor

I was just looking up kids books on Wikipedia, and cannot believe how silly I am....

I forgot My Side of the Mountian, and Julie of the Wolves by Jean Craighead George.

I can forgive myself for not remembering the author, but not the books. I loved those books when I was a kid!

Also, I haven't seen anyone mention Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson. That was the first book I ever read that made me really cry. Another well loved book.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 3 of 3  [ 51 posts ]
Return to “Literary Rambles: There & Back Again...” | Jump to page « 1 2 3
Jump to: