board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Memory, Sorrow and Thorn

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]
Amarie
Post subject: Memory, Sorrow and Thorn
Posted: Wed 18 May , 2005 6:13 am
Ice Nymph

I read this series years ago. It's probably the third fantasy series I read after LotR and The Fionavar Tapestry. I think. I'm re-reading this again, and I'm bowled over by its depth. I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed this series. Has anyone else read this one? Its three books are The Dragonbone Chair, Stone of Farewell and To Green Angel Tower.

*SPOILERS*

The reason I forgot I enjoyed this series was because I utterly disliked the ending. Maybe I'll have a different reaction the second time around.

Will be seeing windmills, tulips and meh love on June 22nd. W00t!

Profile Quote
Dindraug
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 18 May , 2005 7:39 am
Tricksy Elf!

I am the same, I read the first three books recently and have the fourth (Thorn is split into two over here), and I cant face the final book.

I love what the author did with the world, it is a very good interpritation of mythic medieval England/Germany, but the story goes downhill towars the end. Or maybe is just too long.

Nice baddies though :devil:

'When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from delusion, it is called Religion'.

~Robert M. Pirsig

Profile Quote
Amarie
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 18 May , 2005 6:11 pm
Ice Nymph

Why nice baddies? Which ones? :Q To Green Angel Tower (or Thorn) is also split into two volumes here, Din. I just like to count it as one. :P

Like you, I think Williams did a very good job with Osten Ard. It's very rich, and he does some new things with the fantasy genre. I like how he paid close attention to its history, the conflicts between the different "kingdoms" and the Nisses angle. :)

Will be seeing windmills, tulips and meh love on June 22nd. W00t!

Profile Quote
enchantress
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 19 May , 2005 1:10 am
Sorcery in Action

I got this series from my love because he enjoyed it very much... and I am ashamed to say I still havent delved into it...I started with the first book ages ago but it never "took off"... but, I have a mind to give it another try and I even took Dragonbone Chair with me to New York right now to have something to read... I would enjoy a discussion as I go along, though for me it will be the first time around!

Falling into Autumn... :)

Profile Quote
Griffon64
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 19 May , 2005 5:24 am
Garrulous Griffon

Read it! And am the exact opposite of everybody else here. Wasn't too fond of the story and the story world, not at all. But I slogged through because it was supposed to be good.

I loved the ending. Don't ask me exactly why ... I can't quite say. I was thrown by it at first, but I still find myself thinking of the ending at unexpected times in my life.

So, sorry to be the :Wooper: odd one out :D

moment's hurt may harm or scar
but not inert nor beaten are
those who look and see afar
the healing hand of morning's star.

Profile Quote
Sassafras
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 19 May , 2005 1:04 pm
through the looking glass

Griffon64 wrote:
Read it! And am the exact opposite of everybody else here. Wasn't too fond of the story and the story world, not at all. But I slogged through because it was supposed to be good.
Griff! ... great minds and all that sort of thing. :D
I cared so little for these books that I never even made it to the end.
It was like wading through molasses picking out a few gems here and there and there wern't enough of those to hold my interest.

The least successful and most derivitive series that Tad Williams has writted IMO. Now the 'Otherland' series is a different kettle of fish. Occasionally overwritten (he does like to indulge in excess verbiage) but a really interesting premise full of twists and turns even though the end was a bit too contrived.

So we're both odd.

:D

Not too suprising, eh?

Profile Quote
Griffon64
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 11 Jun , 2005 5:48 pm
Garrulous Griffon

We are indeed both odd - and I prove this by taking almost a month to respond to such a obviously answered question! :D

I should try Otherland maybe ... Memory, Sorrow and Thorn kind of put me off him. As a wannabe fantasy novelist with a book in the pipeline I often think about this series ... but I fear more as a "don't do that!" than anything else ... :oops:

moment's hurt may harm or scar
but not inert nor beaten are
those who look and see afar
the healing hand of morning's star.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]
Return to “Literary Rambles: There & Back Again...”
Jump to: