The Last Homely Site on the Web

Wicked Through and Through

Post Reply   Page 5 of 7  [ 138 posts ]
Jump to page « 13 4 5 6 7 »
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 23 Jan , 2006 7:45 am
Another bright red day

Yesterday, I went to a discussion thingy with Gregory Maguire, Stephen Schwartz, and David Stone (one of the producers).

I've been trying to sum up the salient points, but it's a lot harder than when it was just Maguire.

Maguire seems to be quite a character. He said that he originally wanted to write a book, during the Gulf War, examining good and evil to make sure that he didn't "accidentally become a psychopathic killer." His first thought was Hitler but scrapped that after about 20 minutes because it would be too much work. And then he thought of the Wicked Witch, poof! the rest is history. He was actually quite funny. He also said that he really wasn't too concerned with how purist the musical was, since his book was just an off shoot of another book/movie, and so on. His major reservation with the show was the end. He said it took him a long time (over a year) to come to terms with it and really didn't think the show was going to work, but now really likes it.

Stephen Schwartz is the reason that Wicked is a musical. A friend mentioned it to him on a snorkeling trip and he called Mark Platt the next day, before even reading the book, asking for the rights. We almost ended up with Wicked the movie. It was already in the works, script being written, etc. Thankfully, Schwartz was able to convince Platt that Wicked needed to be on stage. The script was reworked extensively. It started way back in 1996(?) and took seven or eight years to put together.

David Stone talked more about the process of putting the show together as a Broadway musical. Kristin was always Galinda, and the role was written for her. Stephanie Block read for Elphaba in workshops, but the role was not written for her. Someone (Mark Platt?) wanted to do an ART production first to get the fee for it, but Joe Mantello wanted to mount a full production because an ART couldn't do the full sets and tech. They started out in San Fransisco and did a run there. After that, they closed the show down entirely for 3 months (which cost them $2 million) to rework it. The most significant cut IIRC was the funeral of Dr. Dillamond. And the rest is history.

That's all I can remember for now.

:)

(I've had Defying Gravity on repeat for the last half hour or so. :help:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 23 Jan , 2006 10:31 am
of Vinyamar

Any word on a Film version now that the stage version has been so succesful? Seems like a no-brainer really...

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 23 Jan , 2006 2:27 pm
Aspiring to heresy

I'm still hoping for a broadcast of a live performance.

I'm afraid that when a movie director gets his/her hands on it, it will end up too "pretty".

[ img ]

Melkor and Ungoliant in need of some relationship counselling.

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 23 Jan , 2006 4:17 pm
of Vinyamar

Those are *ahem* sort of available...

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 23 Jan , 2006 4:37 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Do you mean sound recordings or actual videos?

Hypothetically speaking, of course. :whistle:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 23 Jan , 2006 6:01 pm
Another bright red day

Alatar, I would be really suprised if a movie didn't get made, especially seeing how many adaptions of Broadway shows there have been lately. Stephen Schwartz seemed to agree, so hopefully a good one will be made (with Idina and Kristin? :pray: ).

Jude, hypothetically speaking, both. Not that I would know of any myself, of course. :whistle:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 23 Jan , 2006 6:03 pm
Aspiring to heresy

Does this hypothetical video have Idina and Kristin in it? Is it a complete performance?

And if it existed, which of course it doesn't, would it be available on DVD?

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 23 Jan , 2006 6:11 pm
Another bright red day

Hypothetically, there are videos of the full show with Idina and Kristin.

If any existed, which they don't, they are available on DVD.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
cemthinae
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 23 Jan , 2006 6:31 pm
TTBK's cemmie

I should follow this thread more often...

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 23 Jan , 2006 11:07 pm
of Vinyamar

Hypothetically one could trade for these non-existent hypothetical DVDs on the internet. If such a thing existed.

Oh, look. A PM button...

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 24 Jan , 2006 12:59 am
Aspiring to heresy

"Anna is the best Elphaba since Idina Menzel!"
MaidenOfTheShieldarm, b77 Herald

"Anna has been a huge influence on my career"
Idina Menzel, Broadway News

"She's soooooo cute!"
Jude, Ottawa Citizen

"Sometimes she just sits on the stairs and won't let me go up or down."
Sam, National Enquirer

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 25 Jan , 2006 4:00 am
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

You've been having fun with PhotoShop today, haven't you, Jude? ;)

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 25 Jan , 2006 4:11 am
Another bright red day

Jude, :damnfunny: :LMAO:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
TheMary
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 01 Feb , 2006 9:38 pm
I took the stars from my eyes, and then I made a map, And knew that somehow I could find my way back; Then I heard your heart beating, you were in the darkness too - So I stayed in the darkness with you

I love, The Wizard and I, it's such a bittersweet and funny song. So many little bits of foreshadowing :)

Lay down
Your sweet and weary head
Night is falling
You’ve come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore

Why do you weep?
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see
All of your fears will pass away
Safe in my arms
You're only sleeping

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 07 Feb , 2006 2:50 pm
Aspiring to heresy

*Spoiler alert - this post contains spoilers regarding the musical (but not the book)*

Having - hypothetically - seen the musical now, I can definately say I prefer it overall to the book.

It's simplified from the book, yes - normally I might complain that a movie or play was "dumbed down" from the original source, but in the case of Wicked, I felt Maguire overreached himself and was out of his depth with the complexity he attempted.

I found the motivations made more sense, and the plot to be more focused in the stage version.

I think the ending could still use more work, though - I preferred it to the book ending, but I feel it still needs some working-through. Perhaps they should have left it as a tragedy?

I'm not totally opposed to the idea of Elphaba staging her own death - it was well-prepared, in that a rumour was being spread that she could be melted by water - but the execution struck me as just a little rushed. I also think there was no reason why they couldn't have let Glinda in on the plan.

Another observation - the dynamics of the Nessarose-Boq relationship was completely different than what the soundtrack had led me to believe. :Q

[ img ]

Profile Quote
MaidenOfTheShieldarm
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 08 Feb , 2006 4:30 am
Another bright red day

SPOILERS, for the musical.

Jude wrote:
It's simplified from the book, yes - normally I might complain that a movie or play was "dumbed down" from the original source, but in the case of Wicked, I felt Maguire overreached himself and was out of his depth with the complexity he attempted.
I hate to say it, but I almost have to agree. It's too bad Wicked was Maguire's first book. I think he could have done the idea a lot more justice had he written other things first. I still love it, but the motivations aren't nearly as clear, and the relationships are much better handled in the show.

Quote:
I think the ending could still use more work, though - I preferred it to the book ending, but I feel it still needs some working-through. Perhaps they should have left it as a tragedy?

I'm not totally opposed to the idea of Elphaba staging her own death - it was well-prepared, in that a rumour was being spread that she could be melted by water - but the execution struck me as just a little rushed. I also think there was no reason why they couldn't have let Glinda in on the plan.
You prefered the book or the show ending? I still haven't reconciled myself to the show ending. I know they took one of Maguire's thoughts and ran with it, but I just don't like it. I REALLY don't like the idea that Elphaba just gives in like that.

In the show they do let Glinda in on the plan. Elphaba specifically directs Glinda not to try and clear her name, hence "For Good."
Quote:
Another observation - the dynamics of the Nessarose-Boq relationship was completely different than what the soundtrack had led me to believe. :Q
They do leave out that one crucial song - "Wicked Witch of the East." I have no idea why, but my current title is from it.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 08 Feb , 2006 9:44 am
of Vinyamar

MaidenOfTheShieldarm wrote:
Quote:

You prefered the book or the show ending? I still haven't reconciled myself to the show ending. I know they took one of Maguire's thoughts and ran with it, but I just don't like it. I REALLY don't like the idea that Elphaba just gives in like that.

In the show they do let Glinda in on the plan. Elphaba specifically directs Glinda not to try and clear her name, hence "For Good."
No, Glinda believes that Elphaba has died. What she agrees to before "For Good" is not to try to clear Elphabas name. Elphaba convinces her that only then can Glinda do the good works that are required to recover Oz. She understands that as the "Wicked Witch" she was a focus that allowed Oz to unite. She says to Fiyero, "I wish we could tell her" and he responds that nobody can ever know. It's a much more poignant and selfess act than the book ending and I certainly prefer it.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Jude
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 08 Feb , 2006 4:27 pm
Aspiring to heresy

I still don't see why they couldn't have told Glinda that they were still alive; she wouldn't have betrayed them, and it would have eased her heart.

The estrangement of Elphaba and Glinda in the book was a big weakness, in my opinion; the motivation for it was weak and unexplained. It was if the author had to conform to a preconceived plot, without fully understanding why.

The farewell duet at the end was one of the most moving scenes in the musical, I thought.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
cemthinae
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 09 Feb , 2006 4:20 am
TTBK's cemmie

Jude wrote:
The farewell duet at the end was one of the most moving scenes in the musical, I thought.
The lyrics to that song are amazing. :)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
TheMary
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 13 Feb , 2006 5:06 pm
I took the stars from my eyes, and then I made a map, And knew that somehow I could find my way back; Then I heard your heart beating, you were in the darkness too - So I stayed in the darkness with you

Actually I think it would be easier on Glinda NOT knowing that Elphie and Fiyero are alive. This way Glinda can heal knowing she and Elphie parted on good terms. If Elphie and Fieyro let Glinda know they were alive Glinda would have to carry that around with her for the rest of her life not saying a word. I think I'd rather not know than know and have to keep it a secret.

I too was shocked at what Nessa did to Boq when I actually saw the play VS just listening to the soundtrack. Plus, I'd read the book and know that from what I remember they didn't part on poor terms and there certainly wasn't any forced living arrangements since Boq got married in the book.

Lay down
Your sweet and weary head
Night is falling
You’ve come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore

Why do you weep?
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see
All of your fears will pass away
Safe in my arms
You're only sleeping

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 5 of 7  [ 138 posts ]
Return to “Literary Rambles: There & Back Again...” | Jump to page « 13 4 5 6 7 »
Jump to: