board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

His Dark Materials - Book1/Chapter 3&4 soon!

Post Reply   Page 2 of 2  [ 35 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 18 Jul , 2005 9:46 am
*Ex-Admin of record*

... and so it begins :D

HIS DARK MATERIALS ~ Northern Lights ~ Chapter 1

Before early this year I did not even know HDM existed. Interestingly within the span of ten days or so several people (from b77 and RL friends) mentioned it to me and since I take these kind of 'prompts' quite serious I headed to the bookshop and bought it in February (as a BD present to myself). As I always do, I scanned the opening chapter and in this case I really had to pull myself by the hair to stop reading right there and then and get myself to the cashier. :D I think I finished all three volumes in the span of less than a month – which to me is staggering and I'm looking tremendously forward now to a more in-depth read and a discussion with you guys :)

The opening paragraph had me hooked immediately (and I would absolutely love it if someone here that has a German or French copy would quote it here also for comparison)
Quote:
Lyra and her dæmon moved through the darkening Hall, taking care to keep to one side, out of sight of the kitchen. The three great tables that ran the length of the Hall were laid already, the silver and the glass catching what little light there was, and the long benches were pulled out ready for the guests. Portraits of former Masters hung high up in the gloom along the walls. Lyra reached the dais and looked back at the open kitchen door and, seeing no one, stepped up beside the high table. The places here were laid with gold, not silver, and the fourteen seats were not oak benches but mahogany chairs with velvet cushions.
Immediately I found myself plunged into a medieval-ish 'feel' world with a difference:

"Lyra and her dæmon… " I went :Q ........ WOW! ...... :D

Dæmon for me immediately meant 'spirit' and it was clear to me from the first that Pullman must be referring to it from that aspect, perhaps also meaning 'consciousness' or 'soul' and the concept of this being externalised grabbed me totally. And then there is of course immediate suspense, all created within that opening paragraph. You know something is cooking and as the chapter unfolds this sense is carried forward to get bigger and bigger.

I absolutely loved the way Pullman has created the setting, Lyra's world, the way he weaves in elements of our reality with nearly new ones. Examples of that would be the mention of Aërodock, anbaric lights, naphta lamps and screen projecting lantern.

Naphtha (slightly different spelling) is an obsolete term for petroleum, or rather – going by the dictionary: Any of several highly volatile, flammable liquid mixtures of hydrocarbons distilled from petroleum, coal tar, and natural gas and used as fuel, as solvents, and in making various chemicals

.. and later the mention of "rumours that the Tartars have invaded Muscovy… It all goes hand-in-hand with the mention of the vintage Tokay of 1898 that we find ourselves in a parallel world. Unconnected to ours at this point in time and I thought that would remain so yet of course Pullman was only just beginning to weave his tale.

The 'mystery' behind the concept of dæmons also unravelled quickly for me and gave a very interesting insight into the characters.
Lyra's dæmon is "currently in the shape of a moth" and from that I immediately concluded that Lyra must be a child. Just like a child's spirit/soul/consciousness grows and forms until its character is (somewhat) determined so does the dæmon change. Adults dæmons don't change and to see that servants dæmons are dogs, superior dogs for superior servants – how fitting. Lord Asriel's (what a wonderful character description of him in the chapter that just makes your skin crawl) dæmon is a snow leopard and the Master's dæmon is a raven. Even were the character descriptions ommited (which they are in regard to the Master) simply through the concept of dæmons one gets an immediate grasp as to the characters make-up.

Reaching the end of the first chapter it was impossible to put down the book (the first time around) and it's almost painful to do so now. I think from the many fantasy/sci-fi -type stories I've read this entire opening chapter is just awesome and with no parallel. From the first sentence I was utterly captivated, possibly also because I saw a lot of myself in Lyra, that wonderfully wilful, stubborn, curious girl with a heart of gold that goes against all rules and even against her 'inner voice', Pantaleimon, her dæmon. Having a persons consciousness/soul externalised in the form of an animal (we're all animals at heart) that bears the persons characteristics, being able to interact – I was totally hooked on that concept alone. Add to that the somewhat familiar yet different world, a pinch of magic and 'sci-fi', I knew I would not get anything much done until I was through with the book.

Profile Quote
PrincessOfIthilien
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 18 Jul , 2005 5:36 pm

Goodness, I don't think I can add anything to Alandriel's wonderfully insightful post, which I enjoyed reading as much as the chapter itself.

Philip Pullman paints a very evocative picture of Lyra's world - so like ours, and yet so different.

And the idea of the daemons being an embodied soul or conscience is a master stroke - Pantalaimon is a brilliant character in his own right.

Asriel is a wonderful character...not likeable, but mesmerising and charismatic.

Last edited by PrincessOfIthilien on Thu 21 Jul , 2005 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Quote
TheMary
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 21 Jul , 2005 6:23 pm
I took the stars from my eyes, and then I made a map, And knew that somehow I could find my way back; Then I heard your heart beating, you were in the darkness too - So I stayed in the darkness with you

So I read what everyone (all two of you ;) ) had to say and I feel like I'm missing something. I read the first chapter in about fifteen minutes (I was at work) and the book definately has my attention which is always a good thing. I guess I'm in the "wondering" stage since this is my first time around with these books. Since it's so early in the book there's not much for me to discuss since it would basically be me asking questions, questions that I will find answers to as I keep reading. I did wonder how old Lyra was and was glad for Alandriels observation about her daemon!

What I can discuss is the authors style of writing to which I can say I really liked that I could visualize the dining room and the "resting" room (sorry I don't have the book with me :oops: ) the description was clearly illustrated in my mind making the rest of the chapter flow easily (I'm a visual learner can you tell?) But besides that all I can really add is that I'm curious to know more about what's going to happen. I fortunately was able to stop reading after the first chapter but I don't know how long I'll be able to keep that up once the story starts to unfold.

I like Lyra's curiosity and persistance to stay in the wardrobe risking trouble despite Pan's warnings. I think another demonstration of Lyra's age was how she seemed to fear her Uncle out of respect, but still like him as an individual.

That's all for now I hope I'm doing this correctly! :D

Lay down
Your sweet and weary head
Night is falling
You’ve come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore

Why do you weep?
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see
All of your fears will pass away
Safe in my arms
You're only sleeping

Profile Quote
Lhaewin
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 21 Jul , 2005 8:28 pm

That was one awesome post, Alandriel, but unfortunately it covered almost everything what can be said about this first chapter. ;) The concept of the daemon as a person´s outward spirit is striking.

I have been hooked from the very first paragraph too. The atmosphere which has been created from the beginning is dense and I could also picture the setting very well - like you, Mary.

I am very interested in getting to know more about the Master and his special relationship with Asriel, who is indeed "mesmerizing and charismatic", as POI pointed out. Lyra´s uncle is very self-confident and fully aware of his authority. His situation turns out to be dangerous to say the least, and he masters it with utmost superiority.

I wonder, if he would really not help Lyra in case she would be detected.

Can´t wait to read Chapter 2. :)

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Oscar Wilde

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 25 Jul , 2005 5:25 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

The Mary wrote:
I hope I'm doing this correctly!
There is never a 'right' or 'wrong' in this sort of thing ;) You do as it strikes you - and strike it did, which is apparent from your post :D
Lhawin wrote:
..but unfortunately it covered almost everything what can be said about this first chapter.
Sorry :( ... my enthusiasm kind of ran away with me. But you know what? Since it seems to me that both you and Mary are reading the books for the first time - why don't you open the next bit, chapter two ~ as of next weekend?

Sort of a bit 'a HDM vigin' :Q :D ;)

Profile Quote
Lhaewin
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 25 Jul , 2005 6:47 pm

Alandriel wrote:

Sort of a bit 'a HDM vigin' :Q :D ;)
Sounds to me as a good idea for a title or even an ID. :D

I don´t know if I get time to post at the next weekend, as I am preparing my holiday in Ireland, but I will try and I hope that others will join in too.

Oscar Wilde

Profile Quote
TheMary
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 28 Jul , 2005 6:59 pm
I took the stars from my eyes, and then I made a map, And knew that somehow I could find my way back; Then I heard your heart beating, you were in the darkness too - So I stayed in the darkness with you

So when are we starting discussion on chapter two? I'm kind of scatter brained when it comes to internet going's on, so you might have to pull me along for a bit.

Lay down
Your sweet and weary head
Night is falling
You’ve come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore

Why do you weep?
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see
All of your fears will pass away
Safe in my arms
You're only sleeping

Profile Quote
fras
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 28 Jul , 2005 7:46 pm

So yea, back from the holiday. I took the book with me to make some insightful notes and the like. I didnt, i just read the book again. But im happy to go back over it with you guys.

Re-reading this time i definately got more of a feel for the world as a whole. The slightly different words used. Electric = anbaric and so on. You really grow to learn that the difference in the worlds was (instead of the flipping of a coin) the supreme power seized by organised religion. Is pullman saying somethign here? I know ive gone on too far ahead. But ill get back to chapter two when we get there.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 29 Jul , 2005 3:04 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

Chapter two should start over this weekend. Lhaewin said she might like to have a go at it ~ but then again might not be able to due to her holiday preparations (am suitably jealous btw ;) Hope you'll have a great time and bring back lots of great piccies).

I'd say if Lhaewin does not post till Monday morning, then why don't you go ahead Mary ~ being another HDM virgin and all ;)

And welcome back fras, hope you had a great time too :)

PS: have ammended the thread-title and given new start dates. Hope that goes some way to keep track of things :)

Profile Quote
Lhaewin
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 31 Jul , 2005 7:16 pm

OK, Chapter Two. I try to do a quick one because I don´t have much time and I leave the rest for you guys. :)

There is a lot of technical stuff and Dust and I must admit that I did not really get that. :oops:

Asriel presents pictures of "another world". We don´t yet know, if this is going to be "our world", but I suppose it is. Lyra´s world seems also to be different concerning religious issues. I think we will see later, what this is all about.

The most interesting parts are about Lyra, who seems to be an extra-ordinary girl in many respects. She has a strong will.

So the Master wanted to kill Asriel to spare Lyra some more time before she will inevitably get involved into something terrible, something about betrayal?

I like Pullman´s style. He creates a thrilling atmosphere and gives us as many details as necessary - though not too many as not to disturb the fluency of the story.

I´ll take the book with me on my holidays, now that I almost finished Harry Potter. :)

Oscar Wilde

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 05 Sep , 2005 10:04 am
*Ex-Admin of record*

... enters into thread and coughs as a dustcloud rises

You guys still alive? It's gotten awefully quiet in here. Hope you all had a great summer break and are looking forward like me to get back into this (or have you finished it all already? ;) )
How about we start with chapter 3 & 4 by this coming weekend?

Profile Quote
Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 05 Sep , 2005 12:07 pm
Per aspera ad astra

I have been rereading chapter one in the bus this morning and as I take the bus every day twice.... I'm ready for more.

Nichts Schöneres unter der Sonne als unter der Sonne zu sein.
(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
Lhaewin
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 05 Sep , 2005 3:48 pm

I have finished the first book in the meantime and started with the second. I wondered where you all were. I hope for a more busy fall.

Oscar Wilde

Profile Quote
Nin
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 06 Sep , 2005 6:58 am
Per aspera ad astra

Well, so one thing which really got me hooked when I started reading was the mixture of familiar elements like the names of places, unknown words, like those used for the machines and concepts without detailles explanation like the "Dust". I read in French. Now, that I have read it once, I would like to try an English copy, but finances are too bad right now, unless I find it on the flee-market.

I also really like the way Pullmann creates tension by mentionning things (like Grummanns head) without going into details so that you keep on reading to know more.

I started chapter 3 in the bus this morning...

Nichts Schöneres unter der Sonne als unter der Sonne zu sein.
(Ingeborg Bachmann)

Profile Quote
eärendil
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 07 Sep , 2005 12:30 pm
citoyenne du monde

I had to come in when I saw the title.
I won't say nothing cause I've read the 3 books a couple of times already :roll:. I discovered it like 2 years ago and read all the series through in four weeks (holidays :D )

But you're in for much fun and adventure :D :D.

I Endure in order to Reflect
Transcending Order
I seal the Matrix of Endlessness
With the Cosmic tone of Presence
I am guided by the power of Spirit

Who can say if I've been changed for the better, but
Because I knew you,
I have been changed for good

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 2 of 2  [ 35 posts ]
Return to “Literary Rambles: There & Back Again...” | Jump to page « 1 2