board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

A Perfectly Evil Marriage

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]
Guruthostirn
Post subject: A Perfectly Evil Marriage
Posted: Sun 19 Jun , 2005 6:48 am
That Weird American

OOC: This is not an RP...this is a short story which I've been thinking of writing, and have decided to do so on this board. To make it all technical, I guess I should say "any writings in this thread by Guruthostirn are copyright of Ryan McElwain"...please feel free to post comments, critiques, or criticisms, but do understand this is not a collaborative venture.

First Draft, Part 1
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Jenny, wake up!"

From beneath a thick down comforter a slender hand emerged to grab a black clock on the bureau next to the bed. Another hand pushed down the covering to let a pair of blue grey eyes inform the owner of the current time.

"You're going to be late to work if you don't get down here in five minutes," called the unseen voice from outside the room.

"Thanks Sarah, I noticed!" came out from between white teeth and medium sized red lips.

With a groan Jenny sat up in bed. Being late was unacceptable. As quick as her sleepy muscles would move her she went to the bathroom to clean up for the morning. Her routine was perfect, until she reached her long brown hair. It was unusually snarled this morning, and it took her precious moments to work out the knots until its usual fine wavy appearance was restored.

Two minutes later Jenny was dressed and in the kitchen. She saw Sarah had kindly prepared a bowl of oatmeal for her, complete with brown sugar and milk in the portions Jenny preferred. Jenny disliked leaning on Sarah much at all, but was very thankful when these rare days rolled around when she overslept.

"Check out the paper, hun," said Sarah as she packed food into her bag.

"Something I should see?" asked Jenny, just about to start eating.

"Rather extraordinary," replied Sarah. "Though you may find it more amusing than enlightening."

Curious, Jenny grabbed the morning newspaper. One glance at the front page and she understood her roommate's cryptic remark:

"God Has Chosen Satan's Bride!"

"Why'd we get a supermarket tabloid delivered to us, Sarah?" demanded Jenny.

"Jenny, that's the nation's leading paper," said Sarah wearily.

Jenny looked back at the page and realized it was true.

"Now I am curious," Jenny said, looking down at the article.

"That's the first time I've ever heard you say that about something involving religion," snorted Sarah. "Despite the last couple of years."

Choosing to ignore Sarah's remark Jenny began to read the outragously titled article.

"Yesterday morning, throughout the nation leading church figures awoke, proclaiming that The Lord had spoken to them in a dream. By noon it was confirmed: bridging gaps in religion and doctrine, all of them had experienced the same vision, and received the same message.

'It was entirely white, nothing, except the voice,' says Bishop Matthew Milner. 'That voice I shall always remember.'

'"The Master of Evil shall be married in three months. For him I have found the perfect bride, for theirs shall be a perfect marriage. He deserves no less."' quoted the bishop.

Those words have been repeated all across the country. Since yesterday the phone lines have been clogged, the internet awash, communication between churches heated. Already politics has worked its way into the picture, with several large churches offering rewards for the identity of the 'Bride of Satan'. Some have even publicly stated that they will not stand to let the Great Evil be married to someone they do not control. Others have offered rewards of another kind: to the person who reveals this woman's dead body more than a million dollars will be presented. However, both of these groups are in the minority; most church officials are waiting to hear word from the Right Hand of Good, Robert Silvaris.

'That young man will be central to this whole issue,' said Bishop Matthew, referring to the central figure of the last, and first recorded instance of universal divine communication."

"'Bride of Satan'?" said Jenny as she looked up at Sarah.

"The perfect woman for him," replied Sarah, paraphrasing the article. "The perfect wife for the Lord of Darkness must be quite a character."

The heads of both young women turned at the sound of a knock. Jenny quickly stood up and rushed over to the door, thinking that it was Sarah's boyfriend, Tim. If Sarah answered the door they'd be making out for ten minutes on the doorstep and Jenny would never make it past them to work. Yet as she threw open the door to say something nasty to her roommate's fellow, her words died on her lips, which slipped apart at the sight of the figure on the front porch.

"Who is it," called Sarah from the kitchen. "Is it Timmy?"

The young man outside smiled encouraging at Jenny. He seemed so nice she couldn't stay standing in awe; something about him seemed to set her at ease. Clearly he could tell, for he nodded at the direction of Sarah's voice with a small smile upon his lips.

"It's Rob," stammered Jenny, still slightly overwhelmed by their guest.

"Who?"

"Robert C. Silvaris," Jenny replied after taking a long breath.

"WHAT!" came a loud shout from inside. Almost instantly Sarah had rushed to the door, practically knocking Jenny off her feet, her blonde hair strangely hanging loose about her face when moments before it had been caught up in a pony tail. Jenny also noted a few other small changes; clearly Sarah was trying to look her best for their most distinguished guest.

"So nice to meet you, Sarah," said Robert in his soft voice. "You're a lucky woman."

Sarah blushed, stammering out a thanks, clearly uncertain as to what Robert meant. Fortunately for her he moved his gaze to Jenny.

"Jennifer Sylvia McAlister, I am honored to meet you at last," said Robert cryptically, as he took up her hand and bowed over it.

"Me," replied Jenny, confused. "I don't even know why you're here, let alone why you'd want to see me."

Robert smiled kindly. "All will be clear soon Jennifer, I promise."

Off balance by Robert's use of her full name Jenny barely noticed how Sarah had become completely silent, staring at Jenny. All that was on Jenny's mind was that she was going to be very, very late.

"Mr. Silvaris, I am honored to meet you, for your reputation is enormous, but I must be going," said Jenny, walking back towards the kitchen to get her purse.

"Miss McAlister, I've already taken the liberty of informing your employer that you won't be able to make it in to work," replied Robert. "He had no complaints after I identified myself. However, his promises that you would not be fired are unnecessary, you won't need to work there any longer."

Jenny turned, completely taken aback by the actions taken by the young man with the enormous reputation. He was smiling as she looked at him.

"Don't worry Jenny," said Robert gently. "I know what you're thinking. In this case, perfection does not require belief."

The young woman stood completely still, not sure what she was hearing, not sure exactly what Robert had said. But behind him Sarah was smiling weakly.

"Mr. Silvaris, I'm not sure whether I want to be a bridesmaid or not at this wedding," said Sarah.

"Sarah Faulkner, even with The Devil as the groom, you won't want to miss Jenny's wedding for anything."

That crazy American Jerk...

"No stop signs, speed limits, no body's gonna slow me down..."

"You can run, but you'll die tired." -- What the archer said to the knight.

Profile Quote
vison
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 20 Jun , 2005 4:01 pm
Best friends forever

This has promise, an intriguing notion.

If you sincerely wish constructive criticism, I shall offer this: I think you use too many adjectives. "Slender hand, black clock, blue eyes", etc. I know what you're doing, or I think I do, is to build up a word picture, but sometimes less is more.

When I read Homer, which I do now and again, I grow weary of "the wine dark sea" and "grey-eyed Athena". Sometimes I just want the poet to say, "the sea" or "Athena" without the descriptives. See what I mean?

Anyway, carry on. I want to read more. I mean it!!!

Profile Quote
Guruthostirn
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 23 Aug , 2005 10:22 pm
That Weird American

Hmm, this section really didn't work, but I'm putting it up anyway. I guess that's what makes a rough draft. And besides, it's usable further in the story.

------------------------------

"How long do I have?" asked Jenny.

"Only I know who you are," Robert replied in a kind voice. "And I can keep a secret very well."

"Yet..."

"Yet the announcement must happen, yes," said Robert as he pulled the newspaper from Jenny's hands. "But you can decide when."

"Me?" said Jenny, surprised.

"Of course," said Robert with a smile. "It's your wedding, remember?"

Immediately all glow left Jenny's face. In three months, she told himself, she would be marrying the Devil.

"Why is there even going to be a wedding," she asked with a hint of bitterness in her voice. "Couldn't he just take me as his own? A wedding gives me a chance to say 'I don't!'"

Robert smiled at the young woman. "All I can say is you won't wish to say that when the time comes, Jennifer."

The room fell silent for a moment. Then Tim spoke to Robert.

"So why are you here so early?"

After a moment Robert replied. "To introduce Jennifer to her new life, and to help her adjust."

"And exactly are you going to help me adjust to living in Hell!" exploded Jenny.

A smile appeared on Robert's face as he gazed at her. "Want me to show you your new mansion first?"

"Mansion?" repeated Jenny, a look of confusion on her face.

"Of course, oh Mistress of Darkness," responded Robert, slightly bowing in his chair. "And then there's the servants, of course."

"There are servants?" asked Jenny.

"Plenty. Or would you rather I showed you your new office?"

"She's got an office?" asked Sarah in surprise.

"Jennifer will be elevated to one of the highest posts in Hell," answered Robert. "Assuming she'll wish to assist her husband with his work."

Suddenly Robert rose from his chair.

"I feel like a walk. Would you like to come along, Jennifer?"

Caught in thoughts of her future life Jennifer barely heard Robert speak till he said her name. With a jerk she looked up.

"I'm not sure," Jenny answered, troubled.

"I insist," Robert said as he reached out a hand to her. "You could use the air."

Within a moment they were out of the door and walking down the street. For a few minutes neither of them spoke. Finally Robert cleared his throat.

"Don't fight the future, Jennifer. Let me help you as much as I can."

Jenny looked over at Robert briefly, then stared straight ahead again.

"Would it help if I told you that this is just another instance of life being uncertain," said Robert again, a touch of concern coming into his voice.

"Not really," answered Jenny.

"Angry at being railroaded, I take it?" A nod in answer. Robert sighed. "I didn't think you'd become angry so soon. I'm surprised the shock is gone already."

(Saved for future use)
Robert leaned back in his chair. "Tell me, if you are perfect for the Master of Evil, what does that tell you about yourself?"

"That she's secretly an evil witch?" suggested Sarah with a wicked smile. Everyone laughed at the shock Jenny showed on her face.

"Is it true?" asked Jenny in a whisper. "Am I truly destined to be evil?"

Quickly Robert leaned forward and took her hand.

"Let this be your first lesson," he replied, staring at Jenny. "Don't look the wrong way when crossing a connection. First, could you be perfect for a man if he was not perfect for you?"

"Of course," answered Jenny.

"Of course not," corrected Robert, sitting back in his chair.

Profile Quote
Guruthostirn
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 02 Sep , 2005 1:15 am
That Weird American

Well, you knew it had to happen...please ignore the above post! The first post will contain whatever I decide as being the final version...supposedly...

So, here's another shot...

------

"Sarah, I'm afraid we must depart," said Robert.

"So soon?" she asked quietly. "Can't she have time to adjust?"

"Unfortunately neither of you have time, young lady," answered Robert. "Jennifer must meet with the wedding planners, and you must be ready to be interviewed endlessly about the woman chosen to marry Evil."

Jenny suddenly shuddered.

"It sounds so horrible when you say it like that, Mr. Silvaris," Jenny said quietly.

"Please, call me Rob," said Robert with a smile. He was immediately serious again. "You shouldn't judge your marriage till you're actually married. But we must go."

"What about my clothes and my books and the rest of my stuff?" Jenny asked with an irritated tone. She did not want to go off without any of her belongings, certainly if they were left to Sarah to suffer over.

"Don't worry," replied Rob as he stood and offered Jenny his arm. "You can send someone to pick them up."

With a few more words to Sarah Rob swirled Jenny out the door and into his waiting limo. In seconds Jenny was watching houses and cars whip past as the driver drove the car far above the legal limit. As she turned to ask Rob about his driver's antics her question died as he answered with a tilt of an eyebrow.

She was finding the young man rather nice. She'd expected someone arrogant, full of himself with the power she'd read about. Instead he seemed like the next door neighbor, an ordinary guy she might have run into at a barbecue. It was too bad he was mixed up in all the theological mess which she deliberately ignored, she thought, but at the same time she realized she was just as embroiled in the mix now as he was.

Profile Quote
Guruthostirn
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 12 Apr , 2006 6:32 am
That Weird American

It was very strange...after doing the first post, it was a struggle to do any more, where before I'd written the story it was practically driving me to write something. And finally it's seemed I've become ready to write again.

Please post comments! From anything to "this story sucks, it's a total tacky piece of pulp" to "never write female characters again, you butchered her." Anything is accepted and I'd love to hear any criticism. Oh, and let me know of any spelling errors...I don't have spell-check on my computer.

--------------------------------------
"Father, what can you tell me about Robert?"

"Who?" the priest asked, looking up from his cup of coffee.

"Robert Silvaris," answered Jenny irritably. She'd been around the chaotic group of religious personages gathered to plan The Wedding for only a few days but already she'd reaffirmed her belief in never getting involved in a church of any kind.

From further down the table another person answered Jenny, this time a minister she'd met the day before. "He does not hold to a church, to begin with."

"He disagrees with us almost categorically," interjected another minister, one she didn't know.

"Yet he is the only person with whom our Creator speaks to directly," finished Father John. "We still have not solved the problem of Mr. Silvaris."

Later that afternoon Jenny was reviewing the plans for the wedding when there was a knock on her door. Engrossed by the small drawing she was creating on page three, Jenny paid no attention till the maid that patrolled her apartments stopped next to Jenny.

"Someone to see you, Your Grace," said the maid.

Irritated Jenny looked up but before she could speak her automatic condemnation of the title she'd been given Jenny heard another voice, right behind her.

"Miss, will you please excuse us? I wish to speak to Jennifer privately."

Looking up Jenny caught the mischievious grin Rob gave her as he gently pushed the maid towards the door. Jenny was glad she was sitting: having one's knees buckle at a kind word from her fiance's opposite would not do. Instead Jenny forced herself to merely smile politely instead of jumping up as Rob walked back to her.

"It's been a while, Rob," said Jenny with a smile. It had only been a few weeks but to Jenny it felt much longer. She'd missed Rob's kind, quirky smile, his polite words, and the comfort he'd given her.

"Yes, it has," replied Rob with a smile. Jenny could tell he was also thinking it hadn't been that long, but that was another bit of Rob's character she liked; he always agreed with her, but never let her get away with anything. Normally Jenny would have been irritated, but not with Rob.

"So, my friend, what is it that you wish to speak to me of?" asked Jenny with an impish grin.

With an answering smile Rob sat against the corner of her desk. "Very weighty things, Jennifer."

"Rob, wait," Jenny interrupted him quickly.

"Yes?"

"Will you have dinner with me tonight?"

------

Horrific, terrible, disasterous, embarrasing, or perhaps the biggest mistake she'd ever made. Jenny couldn't decide which word to describe dinner with Rob the night before. Despite a bright sunrise outside Jenny felt miserable. Last night Jenny had determined that expressing her feelings to Rob had been a mistake, but this morning she felt it was much worse. The evening hadn't ended badly, and Rob hadn't reacted to her expression of attraction, instead continuing as if he'd never heard Jenny speak. Yet his lack of response made Jenny feel even worse, and now she didn't know what to do. The only thing Jenny knew was that she was falling in love with Rob.

------

"Mr. Silvaris once said that his job was delivering responsibility to this world," lectured the bishop.

"God sent Rob," at this Jenny stumbled, forgetting that few others, if any, knew him that familierly, "excuse me, Robert, to hold the wicked responsible for their actions?"

"No, he was sent to deliver them to he who passes judgement," answered the bishop with a gloating voice.

"Nonsense," said Rob with a snicker as he walked into the room. "This plane of existence needed cleaning up for people to live better."

Despite the incident several weeks before Jenny and Rob were still meeting for dinner every couple days. Jenny didn't know for sure but she felt Rob knew he was her only confidant and friend, and despite her declaration of love, still met with her.

"Things were causing borderline folks to tip over into serious trouble," Rob continued. "The Boss was tired of sending people who deserved a bit of light into darkness."

"Where I'm headed, you mean," whispered Jenny. "Eternal damnation."

Rob looked at Jenny for a moment. Jenny didn't know how to read Rob when she mentioned her future. He would always react the same, looking at her quietly, then looking away. At most he would say that if she wasn't perfectly fitted for the life she would soon be living she wouldn't have been chosen. Only a few days before Jenny had exploded in Rob's face.

"If I am the perfect wife for Evil, chosen by God, then why am I in love with you?!?" She'd gotten a raised eyebrow as an answer.

Meanwhile wedding preperations continued. The site was chosen, the greatest cathedral in the world. Jenny paid little attention; no one she had once known would be attending. Even her family had turned their backs to her. Rob did mention that many of the guests were on his lists of people to deal with. Jenny had smiled at that. Religious figures made up most of the guests but all sorts of famous people were planning on attending, as well as political figures from all over. Yet two weeks before the wedding everything was shaken up.

"That'll be a mightily empty cathedral," commented Rob. He was attending a planning session and spoke just as a bishop had begun announcing the seating arrangements.

"Excuse me," said the bishop who'd just been interrupted.

"The bride hasn't invited anyone, has she?" asked Rob. A few looks came towards Jenny but she was not paying attention, not noticing how the meeting had changed.

"Well," continued Rob, leaning back in his chair, "I don't know who the groom is bringing, but it's up to those two to invite the guests, not us."

As silence fell across the room, Rob leaned forward.

"I'd suggest moving to a place where Your guests can be the audience, which is really all they are."

The only sound was Jenny laughing wildly from the far end of the table.

The end result was the front portion of the cathedral being designated for 'wedding guests' and the rest kept for the 'audience'. Rob had snorted with derision when he heard of the new organisation, but had admitted to Jenny that he was amused by the legalistic manuver.

Relations between Rob and Jenny began to suffer as the wedding approached. She began to withdraw, even from him. Rob's insistance to brush off Jenny's feelings was near to causing her real pain, and Jenny avoided him. The two no longer met for dinner, and if she'd been paying attention Jenny would have heard the whispers around her about how she'd changed. In the last week she'd become cold, isolating herself from the few remaining people she'd been speaking to. The realization of who she was to become had finally sunk in for Jenny and she was giving in. Darkness awaited her, and Genny cared not how she lived.

The evening before the wedding Rob came to Jenny's rooms. Her attendants, knowing Jenny had become cold and quiet just as the two had stopped meeting were glad to see Rob. With the hope that Jenny would brighten with a visit from Rob they ushered him in quickly and left the two alone.

"I don't think I need to ask how you've been doing," said Rob with a light smile. He hold out a rose clipping, the bud still tightly closed. The strange gift brought Jenny's eyes to his face.

"Tomorrow, Jennifer, after the wedding, you shall see my flower for you."

"Rob, can you at least once call me Jenny?"

Rob answered Jenny's exasperated outburst with another smile. Jenny turned away, not wanting to see his face, but almost immediately turned back, her emotions releasing.

"This is my last night in the light, my last night of freedom. Give me this night with you," said Jenny in a rush. She immediately blushed and looked down. "At least give me a kiss."

In answer Rob took Jenny into his arms and kissed her deeply. Showing the same enigmatic smile Rob always wore when discussing her love for him, Rob stepped away and opened the door.

"I'll see you at the wedding, Jenny." Then the door shut.

Jenny stood still, memorizing the feel of his kiss, then ran crying to her bedroom.

The day of the wedding arrived bright and sunny. Crowds from across the globe gathered outside the cathedral. To many it was not merely a wedding, but an introduction. Two years before Light came to the world, and this day Darkness would arrive. No one knew what to expect, but almost everyone wanted to be close to the great event.

To Jenny the time till noon, when she would say her vows, passed in a haze of hair, makeup and dresses. After the night before nothing mattered. She could still feel the touch of his lips, and knew she'd remember the kiss till she died. Jenny had a feeling she'd looking forward to that day for a very long time, and dreading the afterlife that would greet her.

At long last she was led out to the great alter of the cathedral. At this wedding the roles were reversed; the groom was the center of attention, not the bride. Jenny only hoped that she'd see Rob, but as everyone waited she couldn't see him in the mass beyond the unoccupied rows of seats.

Suddenly all sounds in the cathedral ended as the empty seats filled. A fog blanketed the chairs and within a mix of bright lights and shadows appeared. As the vapors cleared dark figures, cloaked and hidden, stood amongst bright, shining beings.

With a thunder clap, the doors at the end of the hall blew open and the Lord of All Shadows appeared. Dressed in an immaculate black tuxedo he was a strange figure, for about his head was a black hood, falling behind him to his feet. Beneath the hood no face could be seen, only darkness. Flanking him were two shining figures in long white robes.

As her future husband approached Jenny lost all emotion. Fear no longer touched her, and her love for Rob wasn't even a memory. All that remained was a weary acceptance of the inevitable. The priest behind her frowned as she sighed with resignation.

Within moments Jenny was called upon to speak. She raised her chin and mustered her strength.

"I do."

Gingerly Jenny reached out towards her husband's unseen face. In the weeks before she'd wondered what she'd touch, wrinkled, cold skin? Or course, rough hair? Yet her fingers found warm, smooth skin, and as he reached out to bring her close warm breath caressed her face. Finally her lips met those of her future.

As Jenny kissed her husband memory returned to her, and she realized the kiss she'd thought she'd have to charish for the rest of her life would be repeated every time she greeted her new life partner. From beneath Jenny's hair where she'd hidden it to comfort her with the pain of it's spines her husband withdrew the rose he'd given her, now bloomed out into a great flower, black at the base of the petals, changing through dark, deep red to tips of pure white.

"Here is my rose for you, Jenny."

Standing beside the Lord of Darkness Jenny looked out at the world, smiling unlike she'd ever smiled before. She was married to the man of her dreams, and the two of them were the only ones who knew. They looked at each other, and though they both shared it, the world saw only Jenny, grinning mischieviously at her new husband.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]
Return to “Literary Rambles: There & Back Again...”
Jump to: