board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Should the Sil Disc. Be Split in Separate Chapter Threads?

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]
ToshoftheWuffingas
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 24 Jun , 2005 3:21 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

Voronwe, please be patient with a little osgiliation of mine. Bearing in mind the imminent opening of the board, would it be an idea to split this discussion into separate threads for each chapter? N00bies will come and will be stuck with the current discussion when they may wish to contribute to an earlier part. It is something I always thought would have been a good idea with Teremia's thread and I saw how it worked with the scholarly annotated LOTR project. Is it worth a discussion or would it derail things?

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Profile Quote
Voronwë_the_Faithful
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 24 Jun , 2005 3:37 pm

Tosh, let me give that some thought. To be frank, my initial reaction is not positive, because I consider this to be one continuous discussion rather then a series of separate discussions. It would seem to me to be to confusing to have continuous discussions going on about each successive chapter (whereas in the annotated LOTR project it made sense because the goal was to gather as much information as possible, rather then to have a continuous discussion). But I don't want to be rash or reject the idea out of hand. I'd be interested in knowing the thoughts of the other people who have been participating.

Edit: I have split these posts off from the main Silmarillion Discussion thread so that we could fully discuss this idea without unduly interrupting the ongoing discussion.

Profile Quote
Athrabeth
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 24 Jun , 2005 5:21 pm
Nameless

Athrabeth happily osgiliates from writing year end reports to voice her opinion on something that doesn't require referencing a performance standard..........

I would prefer to keep the Sil thread intact, as we do seem at times, to engage in some "rewinding" and "fast forwarding". Sometimes making a connection, or having one of those "Aha!" moments, comes from reconsidering what someone has said about a passage from another chapter (or even what we have said ourselves!). I like the idea of the discussion taking on the shape of a long, winding road, with lots of little rest stops and vistas and even some detours along the way, rather than many separate and "set" routes. Somehow, it just seems more "organic" and natural to me to meet up with new travellers along the way. I joined Teremia's thread somewhere around the Council of Elrond, and was generously welcomed into that company of wandering troubadors :love: . Since that day, for me, it's been more about the "journey" than the product. Some of our fellow travellers have found separate paths and no longer walk beside us, some go off on little detours of their own, only to meet up with us again, much to everyone's delight, and some (like myself) just quietly join the quest and doggedly refuse to abandon it (and our friends). Our journey (both there and here) is, after all, a leisurely one, and very well suited, I believe, to welcome all newcomers, even those who would like to talk about something they noticed "back there a-ways"..........we have the time to pause and listen and respond before moving on, hopefully with one more traveller beside us.

[ img ]
"The pie that can be eaten is not the Eternal Pie."

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 24 Jun , 2005 5:29 pm
of Vinyamar

I'm with Athrabeth on this. I would expect anyone joining the discussion to read from the beginning and work from there. If they want to comment on earlier chapters, fine, I don't think anyone will have a problem with that.

Alatar

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
ToshoftheWuffingas
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 24 Jun , 2005 5:35 pm
Filthy darwinian hobbit

That's enough for me. Unless anyone wants to contribute I am happy to let this sink. Thanks for paying the suggestion some attention. :)

[ img ]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos

Norwich Beer Festival 2009

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]
Return to “Literary Rambles: There & Back Again...”
Jump to: