board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Runes of the Earth

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]
Erinhue
Post subject: Runes of the Earth
Posted: Wed 29 Jun , 2005 2:43 am
Iluvatar's Bright Spirit

Stephen R. Donaldson has begun the Last Chronicles of Tomas Covenant with Runes of the Earth. I just got this but I really don't know when I'm gonna get time ta actually read it. Anyone else here read this yet? No? If and as I get the time, I'll stop by and tell ya how it's going. I read an exerpt on the web somewhere and it hooked me right away.

You would know the secret of Death?
But how shall you find it unless you seek it in the heart of life. For Life and Death are one even as the river and the sea are one.

Profile Quote
Alatar
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 29 Jun , 2005 8:41 am
of Vinyamar

I'll certainly read it Che, but I may wait till all three volumes are out. I like to read in concentrated bursts and I hate having to wait years to find out the end to a story.

Alatar

[ img ]
These are my friends, see how they glisten...

Profile Quote
Sassafras
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 29 Jun , 2005 5:46 pm
through the looking glass

Read it.

Liked it. Didn't love it. A bit disappointed, actually.

:(

I still love the first chronicles. I think. It's been a few years since I last read them. But this last one, I found it a tad laboured and some of the prose very purple indeed. Almost as though he was trying too hard.
You know, those times when you swear you can hear the author's wheels grinding, when the narrative no longer feels effortless ...

Still. Donaldson has a brilliant imagination and can conjour some startlingly powerful images.

I don't like the real world stuff because it always feels forced and it's not until he gets to the Land that his imagination soars.

Tolkien aside, I really do believe that SRRD has successfully created a fully formed secondary world. So many fantasy authors only give the thinnest veneer. In contrast The Land is solidly three dimensional.
Hi Che! Good to have you here! :)

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]
Return to “Literary Rambles: There & Back Again...”
Jump to: