board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

*I Gar nia-Laim, The House of Languages* (Translations)

Post Reply   Page 3 of 4  [ 72 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4 »
Kaya
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 19 Mar , 2005 12:53 pm

Breogán, could you help me with some translations please? :) It’s for ID titles.

Would ‘Eocnight’ be a good old english translation for ‘horseboy’?

And in case of Adunaic, I found that sea = azra, and dog = rabô (for a male), so would that make ‘Azrarabô’ as a valid translation for ‘seadog’? Have you any idea what a good translation for ‘searat’ would be? And for ‘devil of the deep blue (sea)’?

Be like a duck, my mother used to tell me. Remain calm on the surface and paddle like hell underneath.

Profile Quote
Breogán
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 24 Mar , 2005 3:07 pm

Kaya

I've recently moved back to Ireland and I'm quite busy at the moment, but don´t worry, I'll have a look at it later on and I´ll have the translations ready for you in a couple of days.

Get him bathed and send him to my tent!...
[ img ]

Profile Quote
Berhael
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 24 Mar , 2005 4:37 pm
Milk and kisses

A Breogán sighting! :Q :hug: Sorry I barged in, but I've missed you these last couple of weeks! :)

"The most terrifying day of your life is the day the first one is born [...] Your life, as you know it... is gone. Never to return. But they learn how to walk, and they learn how to talk... and you want to be with them. And they turn out to be the most delightful people you will ever meet in your life."

Profile Quote
peeg
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 25 Mar , 2005 4:59 am
You Tolkien to me?

Breogán, i need some help too. How would you say "father" in Haradrim? And some other basic words in Harad....some phrases a person from the south would use without thinking....thanks :)

[ img ]

"You can think and you can fight, but the world's always moving and if you wanna stay ahead you gotta dance"
~Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Kaya
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 25 Mar , 2005 6:52 am

Thanks Breogán. Hope the moving went smoothly. :)

Be like a duck, my mother used to tell me. Remain calm on the surface and paddle like hell underneath.

Profile Quote
Breogán
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 11 Apr , 2005 2:17 pm

Guys, apologies for not having posted the translations as promised, but the whole moving business is being far more complicated than expected and to make things worse, I had to be rushed to the ER and spent a couple of days in hospital last week... :(
I shall have a look at your requests later on this week.
Apologies once again. :)

Thanks Ber and Kaya :hug:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Kaya
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 11 Apr , 2005 3:29 pm

Autch! Sorry to hear you've not been well. :( There's no need to apologise at all. Wishing you a speedy recovery, take good care of yourself. :hug: :hug:

Profile Quote
Eruname
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 11 Apr , 2005 7:47 pm
Islanded in a Stream of Stars

I've been wondering where you were! I do hope you're okay now and that you're recovering! :hug:

Abandon this fleeting world
abandon yourself.
Then the moon and flowers
will guide you along the way.

-Ryokan

http://wanderingthroughmiddleearth.blogspot.com/

Profile Quote
Breogán
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 22 Apr , 2005 2:34 pm

Kaya

Yes, IMO, "eocnight" would be correct. Regarding "seadog", I would go for "azrabô" instead. :)

Peeg, AFAIK there is absolutely no Haradrin corpus apart from "Khand", "Variag" and "Mûmak", and probably Incánus ("Inkâ-nus"), but even Tolkien himself was not too sure about the origin and etymology of these terms (according to PM and UT). So that is a curse and a bless at the same time: we have nothing to base derivations on, but at the same time, we are free to develop the language in whatever direction we want to.
Go ahead and give it a go, and if you need any help, let me know and we'll work on this together. :D

Oh, btw, thanks everybody for your recovery wishes. :D

[ img ]

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 22 Apr , 2005 6:20 pm
WYSIWYG

[mini-hijack]

I just saw Bre's name, so I looked in here! :)

Good to see you, it's been a long time! - So sorry to hear about the hospital - hope it wasn't something too bad? :(
Are you settled in Ireland now?
Anyway, good to see you back! :hug:

[/mini-hijack]

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
Kaya
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 24 Apr , 2005 3:22 pm

Thank you Bre :hug: :D

Profile Quote
Didi
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 24 Apr , 2005 6:51 pm

Ooh I wasn't aware b77 had a language thread...

*takes his invisible cape*

Time for some lurking now :)

P.S. is this thread only meant for Elvish or for translations of any sort?

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 24 Apr , 2005 8:18 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

:Q Poor Bre :hug: Hope you're much much better now. What on earth happened? But definitely great to see you back. Missed ya :)

Didi: Bre has kindly volunteered her extensive expertise of tolkien languages in here to help us RPers out. I think we've had Sindarin, Quenya and Aduniac in here so far as well as Rohirric :D What is your expertese? We simply MUST give talented people a chance to volunteer
;)

Profile Quote
Breogán
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 25 Apr , 2005 12:36 pm

Well, having Didi on board means we know who will be looking after Quenya from now on, since his knowledge and interest in the High Tongue is far greater than mine ;)

THobbit, Alandriel
Doctors have no idea what caused the violent alergic reaction - whatever it was it landed me on the ER at 2 AM, with face and hands the size of ballons, burning rush and difficulty to breathe. :scratch
Thank God, it's over now

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Didi
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 25 Apr , 2005 3:48 pm

Uhm :oops: *undusts his Quenya course and starts reading like hell so he won't look like a complete loser when ppl will ask for his help*

Honestly, Bréogan, your knowledge is much better, as I haven't done serious Quenya-ing for 2 or 3 years now :D
But yes, some long time ago I was a true master ;)

Profile Quote
Kaya
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 26 Apr , 2005 6:00 am

Didi wrote:
Uhm :oops: *undusts his Quenya course and starts reading like hell so he won't look like a complete loser when ppl will ask for his help*

Honestly, Bréogan, your knowledge is much better, as I haven't done serious Quenya-ing for 2 or 3 years now :D
But yes, some long time ago I was a true master ;)
Then keep dusting. My elf is supposed to be fluently in Quenya. I however, am illiterate on the subject. Luckily, that muse is still somewhat in a vanished state at the moment. After all, I wouldn't want to put any pressure on you. :P

Profile Quote
truehobbit
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 26 Apr , 2005 1:12 pm
WYSIWYG

Breogán wrote:

THobbit, Alandriel
Doctors have no idea what caused the violent alergic reaction - whatever it was it landed me on the ER at 2 AM, with face and hands the size of ballons, burning rush and difficulty to breathe. :scratch
Thank God, it's over now
:Q Ewwwwww!
Maybe it was stress-induced? Or something bit you?
Anyway, good to hear you're better! :hug:

(Or maybe you have become allergic to Eomer? In which case it's maybe best to let someone else keep him for you, at least until you've had some allergy treatment. ;) )

From our key principles:

We listen to one another, make good-faith efforts to understand one another, and we treat one another respectfully at all times.

Profile Quote
Breogán
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 26 Apr , 2005 1:21 pm

Didi

"Quien tuvo, retuvo"... ;) that is, I'm sure you only need to brush up on your Quenya a lil' bit and you'll be flying once again. :)
I'll seriously appreciate having someone around who can give me a hand with the linguistic needs of this people, someone who is more proficient than I am in some languages and can correct the mistakes I'm bound to make :D
Quote:
Or maybe you have become allergic to Eomer? In which case it's maybe best to let someone else keep him for you, at least until you've had some allergy treatment. )
Hmmm... let me think... :scratch
NO! :LMAO: ;)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
*Alandriel*
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 30 Apr , 2005 5:10 pm
*Ex-Admin of record*

sigh....... to bad, about Eomer that is. I kind of had my hopes up too ;) but good to hear you're well on the mend. Things like that are ssccccaarey :hug: btw... Bre... you remember RP? :halo: Perhaps you'd like to read up a bit somewhere..... :whistle:

But back to business.....

What would be a good name for a .... erm... fell beast? Something really hideous and vile, in Quenya? :halo:

I've been wracking my brain, but can't even come up with something I could submit for translation. Perhaps it better works the other way round and you could give me some suggestions.

Much appreciated :)

Profile Quote
Didi
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 30 Apr , 2005 6:16 pm

For names I usually use the Quenya Babybook, http://www.elvish.org/elm/names.html

But I was too lazy to browse them all (most names are positive qualities anyway ;)) so I picked some random elements that could maybe be useful :D

erde seed
tur ruler
more/morqua/morna dark
sára bitter
tuo physical strength
rista cut
narmo/ráco wolf
ango snake

erdemortur? :P ruler of dark seeds :P
sárango bitter snake

I am not really creative in compounding well-sounding names sorry :D

Profile Quote