The Last Homely Site on the Web

NSSA, really, do we need OOC?

Post Reply   Page 4 of 4  [ 69 posts ]
Jump to page « 1 2 3 4
Jaeniver
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 29 Apr , 2006 9:20 pm
I can't count but I'm cute

Staring at the closed window Jae lay breathing heavily debating whether she should rise and open the window to let in the cool night air. Even the air inside of the bedroom felt heavy with fever. Droplets of sweat ran down her forehead and the blankets had twisted around her feverish body like soft chains.

Crys had left after offering kind words and warm soup. The words had eased her to sleep but the soup had remained pretty much untouched on the bedside table. Sleep had come but it left her unsatisfied. Dreams filled with voices. Voices so loud they had woken her up. But as she lay looking at the cool night behind the closed window she realised the voices had not disappeared with the opening of her eyes.

She covered her eyes with her hands pleading the voices to stop. ‘I just want to sleep. Please. I’m so tired. Of everything.” But the voices wouldn’t stop. They were hammering, so loudly. Who was yelling? Why were people talking so loud? This house had always been a place of tranquillity, although lately it had been everything but tranquil.

~

With one hand holding the banister of the stairs she made her way down and called out with a hoarse voice “Please, can’t you keep it down. I thought it was my head but now I know it’s you who are making this racket. Enough!”

So give me your forever.
Please your forever.
Not a day less will do
From you

~Other half of the Menacing Glare Duo~ partner-in-crime out to confuse the world!

Profile Quote
crystal_seed
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 29 Apr , 2006 10:59 pm

Crys's mind was full as she stood in the entryway to the guild house. So many threads had come at once and tried to weave together, so that instead of producing an ornate tapestry, they seemed to converge in a mass of tangled, twisted knots....

The weather of this night was reflective of the atmosphere within the guild, and if that didn't change quickly, things would go beyond anything they could do.... After reading the weariness and frustration in Kaya's eyes, knowing what she knew and now with the return of these Rohirrhim to the guild house...

In all the time she had been present in Middle Earth, for the ages she had served, she so despised the fact when everything came to a pinnacle of crisis, and there was not a moment to be lost or wasted, there were still the frivolities or congenialities of which humans were so habituated to contend with.

... it was galling. She hadn't meant to sound so sharp to this poor injured young man, but he felt her displeasure all the same, though it was mainly focused on and because of his Captain.

In a split second, she saw Bréhon approach Kaya, and could well imagine the conversation just from the reaction on her friend's face. Kaya was too closely involved to see objectively what Crys knew was necessary... she was being protective, and yet a cold slap of reality was what was really needed... that would come soon enough.. Crys already sensed its approach.
At the same moment, she saw someone moving toward the door... Eari.. Her eyes searched to make contact, and for a moment she thought she would fail- but just as Eari reached the door to leave, she looked up and found Crys looking at her. What she read was a pain of a deep unhealed wound, but beyond that a sense of duty also that bound the elfess to remain at least on the grounds of the guild house until she had carried out her obligation. This would have to be enough for the moment....

And something new... Crys closed her eyes as she heard the voice behind her on the stairs...

“Please, can’t you keep it down? I thought it was my head but now I know it’s you who are making this racket. Enough!”

'Yes.... it IS enough...' Crys whispered inaudibly. Taking a deep breath, she opened her eyes to see Bréhon staring and then making a start toward the stairs. Before she turned she spoke to Kaya, restraining Bréhon with a surprisingly vice-like grip

'Take him to the bath and make sure he is cleaned up. I don't want him to sully the whole house. I will speak with him and you outside Jae’s room.’
She saw that Legyviel was continueing to work on the injured young man, and with another look, she sent Boris and Bruno off to take care of the cleanup of dinner and see to it that the remaining guests were settled in for the night.
In a flash she had turned and was already at the top of the stairs to support Jae’s unsteady frame….

‘As for you, young lady… back to bed with you’.
Jae was staring at the hallway, the look on her face softened Cry’s intensity. ‘Bréhon?’… was all she managed to croak out. Crys took her by the arm, nodded and said gently ‘You must get back to your room. You are not well, and you will see him soon enough’.

After bringing Jae to her bedroom, Crys noted the untouched soup, and the dampened sheets and twisted blankets from the chilling sweat. Deftly she removed the chilly linens and replaced them with dry sheets and new blankets. When Jae was settled and had closed her eyes, Crys left quietly and hurried to the kitchen, pouring the hot water out that had been ready for after-dinner tea. She went to a small cupboard and took out a dark bottle. Pulling out the cork she took a pinch of the dark green root herbs and crushed them into the tea. Replacing the bottle, she placed some bread on an iron flat over the fire, and toasted it lightly with a special aromatic oil. Covering this with a linen napkin, she hurried back and was pleased to find Jae still in bed, though no where near sleep.

‘Here, drink this, it will help ease the discomfort, and eat this, it will settle you. And this time, I will make sure you finish every last bit, my dear’ Crys said in a stern voice, yet with the hint of a smile playing at her lips.

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Kaya
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 30 Apr , 2006 11:11 am

For seconds, the room seemed to be spinning. Kaya’s gentle yet firm pull into the direction of the back hallway went by unnoticed at first. It wasn’t until the warm light of the common room no longer surrounded him when he turned to watch where he was being dragged to.

“You…” Bréhon now looked at Kaya after getting over the first shock of seeing Jae again. “Jae was here all along, and you didn’t tell me?” He felt betrayed, never had expected the elfess to ever lie to him. With everything he had gone through the last months he felt as if somehow the world never would be same again.

“Maybe you noticed she’s not feeling well?” Kaya suddenly stopped and whirled around. In the dim light of the hallway the Rohirrim saw her eyes sparkled dangerously – all the battles fought seemed to reflect in their dark green depths; He considered taking a step back yet he remained frozen on the spot, and listened to the tirade that was as much an outlet of frustration towards him as towards his absent brother.

“Maybe, for once, you could start realizing situations don’t always turn the way they do because people are out to hurt you, but because someone else’s state to them seems more critical?! You might have noticed Jae is ill, Bréhon. Ill! I’m worried deeply about her. Under no circumstances would I have led you straight to her. Not in her condition.” From the letters she and the other elfess had exchanged over the past months, much had been revealed to her even if not written down all that clearly. Still, the seriousness of the situation only seemed to have fully struck her while seeing Jae’s face at the top of the stairs.

Bréhon swallowed. “What is wrong with her? …Is there something I can do?”

“I do not know what you could do now to help her. Maybe you could start by trying to explain to her why it is you left her without word for all these months? What was so important that you left without a warning, an explanation? More important than her and her feelings… If you cannot-” her pale fingers grabbed for the dazzle, “maybe then you should consider giving this back to her. It might be the only solution that stands between her and a certain death.” With this she snapped the jewel from underneath Bréhon’s soaked shirt and folded her fingers around the delicate form like petals fold to protect the flower against sudden rain.

The last thing Kaya wanted to do was putting the blame on Bréhon for everything. After all, the decision concerning Jae giving up her immortality was made in perfect agreement between the both of them. Yet at the same time, Jae’s pain was her own. At least, Bréhon had had the guts to return… From the moment she had spoken these words, she regretted them, seeing the panic in his eyes.

“She’s… dieing…?” He looked down at the glitter, covered almost entirely by her fingers and held only centimetres from his face. Yes, he remembered the discussion he had had with Jae, that morning when she had offered him this jewel, all too well. He had realized back then already this sacrifice would lead to her death. Yet he never had expected for things to happen this quickly.

“I do not know! I only know she’s growing weaker quickly. Too quickly…”

Suddenly the Rohirrim grabbed Kaya by her shoulders. The sudden force of the movement made her loose her grip on Jae’s jewel and it fell back against Bréhon’s chest. “You’ve got to help her. You’ve got to!”

“I am doing everything I can. I will continue doing everything I can, yet I am an immortal, not a wizard. I have made various attempts to find you over the past months, unfortunately to no avail. I couldn’t find your brother either…” She assumed they had gone away together, and the fact that Bréhon now had returned to the guildhouse without him suddenly struck her as a very clear message towards her. She swallowed, tried to escape from his grip yet by stepping back she only felt the hard doorknob of the bathing room pressing against her back, leaving her no room to escape.

“Kaya?” Through his own misty eyes Bréhon hadn’t missed the change of expression on Kaya’s face, nor the fact that, of the strong elf that minutes ago literally had slapped him back into reality with her honest words, now nothing was left. She trembled like a leaf.

“I’m sorry… I should never have returned,” he mumbled while his fingers carefully brushed over her cheek. When he felt the wet trail on her delicate skin he grabbed under her chin yet she didn’t easily let him push her chin up. He decided it was better not to force her, realizing the depths of her grieve were too deep for him to try to comprehend in an instant, let alone solve. Gently and quickly he hugged her.

“Go take a bath,” the elf sniffed between her tears.

“Yes milady,” he responded. While he closed the bathroom door behind him he heard the elf whisper in the emptiness of the hall: “Don’t ever regret you returned.” Then her steps slowly faded, and he locked the door behind him.

Kaya brushed her tears away with her long sleeves as she walked back into the common room. She looked around as she walked by, without seeing anything. There was little doubt they had been able to hear some of the conversation. She headed for the stairs and while she ascended her pace quickened. Once on the landing she raced towards the end of the hall and disappeared into the comfort of her own room.

~~~

OOC Those posts were a real muse-kicker! :D

Be like a duck, my mother used to tell me. Remain calm on the surface and paddle like hell underneath.

Profile Quote
peeg
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 30 Apr , 2006 1:41 pm
You Tolkien to me?

Legyviel watched Bréhon close the bathroom door behind him and turned back to- what had Bréhon said his name was? Rhowain? He was squirming, embarassed by the attention his injury was recieving and Legyviel growled at him.

"Stay still," she ordered, perhaps more sharply than she had intended to. Jae was seriously ill upstairs and Kaya was upset and it was all contributing to making her feel decidedly high-strung. Rhowain subsided and stayed still until Legyviel finished patching him up.

"You better rest for a while until this get's better," she said. As soon as she moved away he stood up, completely ignoring her warning. honestly, riders. Legyviel rolled her eyes and yanked him back down.

"Did you hear me? I said rest!"

"But-"

"No buts. Are you hungry?" Rhowain seemed taken aback by the sudden change in topic, then nodded. Legyviel got up and looked at the abandoned meal, shaking her head. Silently lamenting the waste of effort, she took some roast, bread and a goblet of wine over to Rhowain, who nodded his thanks.

"I, um, didn't get your name," he said. Legyviel gazed at him cooly for a moment. She might be warm with people she was close to, but complete strangers got her professional, cold treatment. Eventually, though, she decided that if this rider was friends with Bréhon, he must be alright. Not that she would ever tell Bréhom that.

"I'm Legyviel," she said, allowing a small smile to grace her features. The effect was immediate- Rhowain blinked and his cheeks coloured slightly. Their eyes caught and held for an infinitesimal moment.

The sudden slam of the front door made the elfess look away, and swiftly she was in the front hall in case someone else had decided now might be the perfect time to drop in.

There was no-one there. Legyviel frowned and opened the door, peering out through the rain. Her keen elf eyes soon found the huddled figure walking slowly away, and and inaudible sigh escaped her.

"Eari, don't go," she said. It was soft, but Eari heard her nevertheless, and stopped.

"You don't need me to stay Legyviel. And neither does anyone else. I won't stay where i am neither needed nor wanted," the peredhel replied stiffly. Legyviel swiftly walked towards her and put a hand on her shoulder. Eari tensed.

"That's not true. I'm not saying all has been forgiven, or that the pain of that night doesn't linger. But if you leave the memory cannot be put to rest either," Legyviel said. Eari turned to glare at her.

"I don't need your forgiveness," she said, then immediatly looked as if she regretted saying it.

"I wasn't talking about us needing to forgive you. I was talking about you needing to forgive yourself," the elf said. She looked into Eari's eyes and, for just a moment, let the quiet calm of her mask down so that the peredhel could see the truth in them. For her part, Legyviel didn't blame Eari for what had happened. Fire could destroy- but it could also cleanse, and though she was made up of more parts ice than was normal, the elf could see that the fire had provided them an opportunity to start over.

Eari sighed and looked away. Legyviel's sharp ears picked up raised voice from inside the guildhouse- Crys' in panic, Jae's in pain. She looked up towards Jae's window.

"I have to go...Crys needs some help up there," she murmured distractedly, almost to herself. She stepped away from Eari- and then turned back, waiting for her decision.

-------

OOC: I am so blaming Kaya if i fail my assignment on Tuesday because i was busy reading and writing here ;)

[ img ]

"You can think and you can fight, but the world's always moving and if you wanna stay ahead you gotta dance"
~Terry Pratchett

Profile Quote
Jaeniver
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 30 Apr , 2006 2:12 pm

Maybe her vision had been too blurry, the raging fever could be playing its tricks on her mind, making her see things again. Illusions and memories of past times. How often did she not see him dwell through the garden when she looked out of her window when she was brought to the healing wing in Rivendel? Maybe this was no different.

Quietly Crys entered her bedroom a second time with a steaming cup. A strong smell of herbs greeted her when she took the cup from Crys into her trembling hands. Both women sat in silence for a while. One eyeing the cup carefully to make sure it was drunk down to the last drop, the other trying to find truth in what seemed returning nightmares. She had suffered the loss of self before but this time things were different. Momentarily her hand touched the bare spot where once her necklace had been.

“Crys,” She mumbled as she redirected her eyes to the cup as it trembled lightly in her unsteady hands. For the first time she felt ashamed to be back at the house. They should not need to see to her like this. A ragged doll. Had she not been so stubborn as to leave Rivendel they wouldn’t be burdened with the task of being doctors tending to an ailing patient. “Is it true what I read in their eyes? Am I dying ?” The last barely audible word came hesitantly and hung in the air for several long seconds. “Is that why I am seeing ghosts?”

Crys sniffed disapprovingly. If only her ghost was an actual ghost. But her eyes softened as she leaned forward to the elf taking the strands of tangled hair out of her face that had fallen out of the long braid. She decided this talk of death and doom would not help Jae to get better. “You should rest now Jae, if not sleep then at least rest. The herbs will calm you down.”

Jae did not have the energy to go against the wishes of Istari and sunk back into the feather pillows and waited for either the calmth of the herbs or for sleep to claim her.

“It’s just so incredibly…maybe I should….window…they.”

As the trembling of her eyelids got less and the incoherent sentences slowed down Crys Took the cup from the slender hands, slowly got up and quietly left the elf .

So give me your forever.
Please your forever.
Not a day less will do
From you

~Other half of the Menacing Glare Duo~ partner-in-crime out to confuse the world!

Profile Quote
Rhowaín
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 30 Apr , 2006 8:41 pm

Rhowain ate his food in silent contemplation. The place the captain brought him to for shelter was a beyond anything he had come across before. Beings with unearthly appearances graced the house with their presence. How did Bréhon come to know these people? They were not from the Mark, looked nothing like common rider friends and spoke in foreign tongues to each other. A language that sounded like music in Rhowain’s ears.

‘Maybe the rumours of magic aren’t entirely false.’ He thought with a light frown on his brow. It was easy to see how these beings could intoxicate mortals. The smile the white haired woman had given him flashed before his eyes. He gave his head a light shake before taking a long draught from the cup she had given him. As he lowered his arm he could feel the warmth of the freshly poured alcohol on his wound.

“Still a terrible waste of something so fine.”

With both food and drink gone the rider began dwelling through the now silent house.. There was no sign of the authorial lady with the green eyes, the tall stern looking women that had snapped at him nor of the man who he was suppose to keep in his sight. All its patrons seemed to have disappeared.

“Captain?” He called out. Where did he get of to? He aimlessly climbed the stairs where he found more closed doors. But there was a sound to be heard. Slowly he approached one of the doors behind which the muffled sound was coming from.

“Bréhon?” He asked hesitantly. The sound suddenly stopped. “Is that you?” Slowly he pushed down the handle of the door. But it was not Bré that stared back at him but the tear stained face of the green eyed lady. But all too quickly her face of shock turned away from the door.

“Oh I-I do apologise my lady. I thought you were the captain but…” His voice trailed of as he saw her wipe her both of her cheeks in quick procession with the long sleeves, “...you’re not him, obviously.” He bit his lip and mumbled another apology for intruding on the lady’s private time as he averted his eyes to the floorboards.

faithful.loyal.truthful

Profile Quote
eärendil
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 04 May , 2006 4:18 pm
citoyenne du monde

Ok I guess this means I don't have a choice but to post right??

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The door was opened and she was about to leave when she cast a last glance upon the room; she met Crys's glance. Usually she would have found comfort in the woman's eyes but there she found none although she knew that the same compassion was shining there. But it brought her nothing this time...

She heard Jae come down but she didn't have the strength to face the elfess. The Lady from Imladris was probably the one who would remember the child she once was and who would know too precisely what struggle was going on in her mind. Jae had already witnessed that same struggle when Rine had decided to leave Imladris to Valinor. And Eari was not ready to be faced with that memory again.

She closed the door a little more loudly than she had meant, but she didn't expect anyone to hear it with the noise that was going on in the room. She walked out in the rain, drenched before she had made twenty steps towards the woods surrounding the place.

"Eari don't go."

Why had someone followed her? If she had wanted someone to come she would have announced she was going out... And why should she stay in that room? She was useless at healing and she was not even in the mood to do that. Staying there would only bring pressure and darkness upon those who were already hurt. And so she answered, though it sounded as if she were leaving. At least that was how Legyviel understood her.

The elf went on about forgiveness. What did she know about forgiveness? Eari would never pretend to know the ice lady that well but how could Legyviel pretend to know what she was feeling, how much she despised everything linked to that memory, how she had tried to erase that memory and had failed?

"I wasn't talking about us needing to forgive you. I was talking about you needing to forgive yourself."

The peredhel sighed... "as if you knew..." she thought. "You don't understand..."

Then the white-haired woman left to help Crys who was requiring help from inside. When Legyviel turned away so did Eari. Nothing requested her presence in that house and she did not want to go back... Nothing could change what she had done and she was not ready to be forgiven.

She sat against a tree, under the rain reliving yet again that day as she had done ever since it happened. And again, her heart seemed to bleed at the memory. How could Elessar think she would get over this? How could he think Kaya would actually 'enjoy' teaching her? How could he expect anyone to trust her as nightguards usually did? She didn't understand...

I Endure in order to Reflect
Transcending Order
I seal the Matrix of Endlessness
With the Cosmic tone of Presence
I am guided by the power of Spirit

Who can say if I've been changed for the better, but
Because I knew you,
I have been changed for good

Profile Quote
Bréhon
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 02 Sep , 2006 7:34 pm

The candles standing on the corner table cast eerie shadows over the bathing room. He leaned against the door for a few fleeting minutes, watching how the shadows teased one another in a ritual dance, but without seeing. What he did see was Jae’s face: pale and sweaty. She looked so… fragile. Like any human being hit by a bad case of the flu would look like. But a human being she was not. She was an elf. His fingers grabbed for the jewel hanging around his neck. This was what was killing her – his gift to him! Just like he had feared, ever since she had brought up the subject of wanting to spend a mortal life with him. He would be her death. He really was going to be her death.

“No!”

His fingers let go of the jewel and grabbed for the latch. The flames startled with the sudden gust as he opened the door. Almost running, he crossed the hall and the living room, and rushed for the stairs. Crys, who almost had reached the ground floor at that point, tried to stop him. But not even an army of orcs would have succeeded in that. He took 2, even 3 steps at a time and then burst into the room that always had been Jae’s. At that point, with the door handle in his hand, he stopped dead in his tracks.

She was… fragile indeed. Pale and sweaty. And beautiful.

For a moment he forgot to breathe as he eyed her as she was sleeping. Then he took another step into the room and closed the door behind him as silently as possible. He looked over his shoulder. How had he ever been able to leave her last winter? How had he been able to get up from the warmth of their bed, how had he found the strength to get dressed? How had he been able to look at her, just he now was doing, with the doorknob in one hand, and still had been able to find the strength to walk away? It was now an enigma to him.

He turned towards her. So fragile. Momentarily his attention was drawn to the pile of pillows she seemed to have taken with her under the covers, but he got distracted before he was able to give it more thought when he saw she moved in her sleep. So beautiful.

Carefully he stepped closer, paying attention not to step on the floorboard that always creaked. When he had reached the bedside, he desired to caress her face, to feel she was real. Yet when his hand was in mid air, he suddenly reversed the movement, diverting it to his chest. He grabbed for the chain hanging around his neck and pulled it over his head without hesitation. The delicate jewel sparkled as his other hand gently grabbed Jae’s, unfolding her fingers. As cautious as possible he laid the pendant on the palm of her hand, to then gently fold her fingers around it in a protective pose.

“Live,” he whispered.

What I'd give to remember that heavenly state
Just a moment in time all mine to create.
As I'm taking my last breath I know what I'll see
There'll be green waves forever out there waiting for me.

(Secret Garden ~ Green waves)

Profile Quote
Jaeniver
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 03 Sep , 2006 10:47 am

The pillows were soft but lost their fresh scent and somehow felt too stuffed to have Jae lay comfortable. The sheets felt wrapped too tight around her body, confining her, keeping her from moving. The drink Crys had given her did help against the vivid visions and dreams but now instead of nameless faces it seems sleep came accompanied by a grey void.

It pressed heavy in her chest and brow. But she became aware something else was pressing. She was holding something. She forced her eyelids open, which took a couple of tries and she wondered who had placed something so heavy on her eyes, and tried to look up. The room slowly took shape and with it the face that hovered above her.

It all looked too familiar. But then all her dreams did. The dark eyes, the little smile curled at the corners of his lips. But this time there was no smile. The eyes looked hollow and deep, the lips did not curl, and the face embodied exhaustion. So much sadness. Then she remembered the pressing object in her hand.

When she saw what she was holding, recognizing its shape a deep frown cut through her moist brow. She stared at it for a couple of long moment and it suddenly escaped her why this little thing had been so important.

“Why?”

She turned her face partly to see why she was holding this. She had no desire for it.

“Why give me this?”

Her eyes found his. It had been over a year she had last seen them look back. Lost is how she felt. Fright, anger, sadness. They all had taken their turn in those long and lonely months. Eyes ever on the door. Ears focussed to each sound. But no one came. When summer came around she thought there was no other explanation for his absence but death. Did his spirit come to return a trifle item? Now as the eyes looked back she felt no anger nor fear. She felt mourning as his sad eyes looked at her. Where had the young man gone that had infuriated her with his careless ways. A man who had carried like he would conquer the worlds. That young man had gone and in his stead now stood a man who seemed heavenly burdened and had been at war with life for too long.

“I don’t want you to die.” His voice sounded hoarse but it was unmistakably Bréhon’s.

Jae stared at him, puzzled. “Die? Giving me this back won’t keep me from dying. Not anymore.”

Panic flared up in his eyes but she looked away. She hardly cared if she lived or died now. If death would end the dreams and the pain maybe she’d even welcome it. It all sounded so ironic; to be immortal and love none or love and be bereft of love and life.

“I thought you gone. Dead.” He nodded and wordlessly took her empty hand. Suddenly trying to explain what she had been thinking seemed too tiring to do. Instead she shifted her eyes to the bathroom. “You’re tired, rest, bathe. If you return I will know you are not a ghost come to trick me.” She squeezed his hand gently.

So he wasn’t dead. But her dreams had played their tricks on her too often lately. A wave of tiredness washed over her as she quietly looked at is aged face. She wondered what had kept him from coming back. Maybe death itself after all.

So give me your forever.
Please your forever.
Not a day less will do
From you

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 4 of 4  [ 69 posts ]
Return to “Literary Rambles: There & Back Again...” | Jump to page « 1 2 3 4
Jump to: