board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

Dorothy Sayers/ Lord Peter Wimsey fans

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]
mrs_whatsit
Post subject: Dorothy Sayers/ Lord Peter Wimsey fans
Posted: Sun 04 Sep , 2005 10:27 pm

Searching for any murder mystery/ Dorothy L. Sayers fans -I know you're out there :D

My mom got me started on The Nine Tailors -fascinating read and very involved. I'll try not to spoil the plot, but it does include the history of change ringing of church bells. I was enchanted by the description of how the notes struck by the various church bells are not an attempt to create a tune, but a mathematical construct which uses orders and patterns of the various bells to dictate when each bell is rung.

One of the other fascinating bits about this story, though was how some of the colloquialisms of East Anglia reminded me of some of the phrases seen in Tolkien. One of Sayer's characters refers to death as "sailing into the west". In another part of the book one of the servants refers to "rick and cot" (remember Eowyn's line in the movie about "rick cot and tree"). Also interesting is that her books were written in the 1930's.

For those of you who have yet to sample Sayer's rich, elegant language , you are in for a treat. Her hero is Lord Peter Wimsey -the brilliant yet eccentric Scotland Yard detective.

I am in awe, Ms. Sayers

:Wooper:

Profile Quote
Lacemaker
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 05 Sep , 2005 2:04 am

Hi Mrs. Whatsit, sign me up for the club. I have been a fan for years, have read all Peter Wimsey books and love them, own most of them, don't know why I don't have them all yet...
I had noticed in "Strong Poison", the first one with Harriet Vane, the expression "going west" for dying...

Profile Quote
Eltirwen
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 05 Sep , 2005 4:22 pm
Bored Silly

Oooh! Sign me up!

My mom got me started on these books. I think my favorite character is Bunter. :D I am wholly dependant on the local library to get my fix, however, and have to reserve the books to make them come to the library branch nearest me, so I haven't read any in a while. I think I need to.

ETA: As for mystery, I also love the Brother Cadfael series by Ellis Peters. Anyone else read them?

Searching for my sanity...

"A life lived in fear is a life half lived" - Strictly Ballroom

Profile Quote
mrs_whatsit
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 05 Sep , 2005 11:04 pm

Lacemaker- thanks for the info- will have to read Strong Poison.

Eltirwen- Bunter is adorable isn't he? All that understatement and dry humor. I am also a big fan of the Brother Cadfael series- got hooked from the BBC series.

After Nine Tailors, I want to start reading them in order- starting with "Whose Body?" Should I read them in order, or does it matter- any reccomendations?

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 06 Sep , 2005 12:02 am
Living in hope

I'd suggest reading them in order. There's a definite progression in the Harriet Vane story that starts in "Strong Poison." And Wimsey's character gets a little more layered as the books progress. Minor characters also have running subplots—courtships., marriages, etc.—that would make more sense in order.

I love these books, but I have to say my favorite character in them is Winsey's mother the Dowager Duchess of Denver. :love:

[ img ]

Profile Quote
mrs_whatsit
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 08 Sep , 2005 1:34 pm

Thanks Primula! would love to start a discussion group on the series starting with Whose Body. Anyone interested?

Profile Quote
Primula_Baggins
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 08 Sep , 2005 2:05 pm
Living in hope

I would join in a bit, I think. This is just the kind of reading I'm in the mood for right now—entertaining, well-written, and familiar. :)

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Eltirwen
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 08 Sep , 2005 2:07 pm
Bored Silly

Oooh, I'll try to join. I might have issues with having books at the same time as ya'll, because of the library system, but I'd love to do this.

Searching for my sanity...

"A life lived in fear is a life half lived" - Strictly Ballroom

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]
Return to “Literary Rambles: There & Back Again...”
Jump to: