Legolas and the Blue Kingdom, Chapters 2 and 3

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 2 posts ]
vison
Post subject: Legolas and the Blue Kingdom, Chapters 2 and 3
Posted: Sun 09 Oct , 2005 4:15 pm
Best friends forever

Chapter 2

From the Journal of Legolas Greenleaf:

It is true that in some old Tales, an Owl is always a Messenger. If that was so with this Owl, he was most Mysterious about his Duty, he told me Nothing. Not a sound did he Utter. It may be that his Presence alone was the Message, and one that I must Decypher, yet I do not have the Key.

As for the figure of the Man, that faded like Fog before the Sun, what am I to make of that? Tall, he appeared, robed, not dressed for Riding. A Staff? Yes, I believe there was a Staff. Mithrandir bore a Staff, and Saruman. I remember how Mithrandir carried his Staff into the presence of Theoden—just the Prop of an old man, he said. Indeed, this may be so now, that our Visitor is an old man, walking through here at night, and that my eyes were Deceived. And the horses?................

Just here the Great Chasm is very narrow. An easy bowshot, for the great Bow of Lorien that I carry. Across from our camp is a Cleft in the rocks that come down Steeply to the very edge of the Chasm. Beside the mouth of the Cleft, its roots clutching the very lip of the Precipice, grows a stunted Tree. It is the only Tree we have seen for Leagues, a Pine tree, twisted and lightning blasted, but Alive, and appearing to thrive. Yet I am not fascinated by the Tree so much as the markings I can perceive on the Rock behind it— carven into the rock is an Owl. Even Sergeant Daeron can see this much, it is not by my Elven sight alone.

I sent an Arrow over, and it sank with great Force into the wood of the Tree, and attached to the Arrow was a rope. Now there was a Bridge that I at least could walk.

More from Roland................

This tale is now picked up two days after I left off. Something indeed was about to happen, and something Did.

We had moved further along the Road to the East, along the South side of the Chasm as before. The Chasm was narrower at this point, and directly across from our camp grew a stunted Pine tree, clinging to the bare Rock. Legolas Greenleaf took an arrow to which he had attached a Rope, shot it across into the Pine tree, made it fast onto a boulder on our Side, and announced that he was going to Walk across it, as I might walk across a Footbridge in the Park.

We all stood Aghast. He said it so calmly, as if it was Nothing, and we did not know what to Say, or Do. It seemed to me, at least, that he had announced that he was about to Kill himself, and expected us to watch Unprotesting!

“Do you not see,â€

Profile Quote
LalaithUrwen
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 14 Oct , 2005 3:56 am
The Grey Amaretto as Supermega-awesome Proud Heretic Girl

Yes, vison, I'm reading them! :D (And enjoying them!) Keep 'em coming!

Lali

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 2 posts ]
Return to “Literary Rambles: There & Back Again...”
Jump to: