board77

The Last Homely Site on the Web

A concept for a story

Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Post subject: A concept for a story
Posted: Wed 09 Nov , 2005 8:46 pm

Ok, I had an interesting thought the other day. Suppose you hear someone in a book (sci-fi/fantasy mix) giving the following speech:

"The age of science is passing. Already the most advanced devices are failing, and the great laboratories are growing fewer and farther between. We are entering an age of magic.

No longer will we hear the haunting unearthly music of synthesizers, and the noble cyborgs are departing from our shores."

Meril asked me what would be the plot of such a story. I joked that it would be an epic quest by a great scientist, two humans, a cyborg, a mutant, and four droids.

Profile Quote
EdaintheRanger
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 11 Nov , 2005 1:00 am
The Red Fox

Hmm sounds like Middle Earth in reverse.

But I wouldn't let that stop you. :D

Sounds like a cool idea.

Darn I remember reading some pulp fiction in the late eighties that had this kind of theme: the faerie returned to the earth, and all the cars had magical and petrol powered engines, just in case you slipped between the jarring fabrics of the two realities...

We need courage, faith and Chocolate Cake.

Profile Quote
Khorazîr
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 14 Nov , 2005 7:12 pm

Sounds a bit like the RP "Shadowrun", although there science and magic coexist. You've got Elves and Dwarves and Dragons (the latter looking like humans), but also cyborgs.

Anyway, it's a very inspiring idea for a story. What would the quest's goal be?

Profile Quote
Cenedril_Gildinaur
Post subject:
Posted: Mon 14 Nov , 2005 7:16 pm

To retrieve a magical item of great power before the lords of science can destroy it in an attempt to prevent the turning of the ages?

It's like middle earth in reverse, because much fantasy has as a plot the fading of magic. Middle earth is not alone in that.

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]
Return to “Literary Rambles: There & Back Again...”
Jump to: