Books! 'Good' fantasy books - your recommendations

Post Reply   Page 7 of 7  [ 127 posts ]
Jump to page « 13 4 5 6 7
The OG Borry
Post subject:
Posted: Wed 27 Jul , 2005 4:57 am
The best things in life are not things

Location: here....<_< yeah here thats Ceres, CA for you stalkers

just to add to the Goodkind discussion, I totally agree 1-4 Absolutely superb and then.... all downhill. But if you like the first 4 I suggest at least giving Chainfire a go, it brings the series more back to his original writing style but it still has its cringing moments. Has anyone else noticed that Terry has a really reallly realllly reallllly reallllllly bad problem with repition, maybe its just me but I KNOW that Richard is the "one" after reading six of your books, but still he has to remind me every chapter JUST MOVE ON. That of course being because of his great cliffhangers which enevitably lead you straight to a boring chapter with some drab unimportant charachters that march on for 3 or 4 chapters until you realize that hes caught you again and leaves you once more to go back and sum up the original cliffhanger. Overall hes a good writer though and is definately worth looking at.
Borry

Profile Quote
Misha
Post subject:
Posted: Thu 28 Jul , 2005 5:24 am

I really like Zelazny, especially Lord of Light and the Amber series. I don't know whether to put in the sci-fi category or fantasy, but they're truly great.

-And everything under the sun is in tune
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon.-
Pink Floyd, Eclipse
[ img ]

Profile Quote
Snowdog
Post subject: Good books
Posted: Thu 23 Feb , 2006 11:21 pm

I just picked up Tyranny of the Night by Glen Cook. Its a beginning of a new book series, and so far its pretty good!

[ img ]

"C'mon boy, we gots some Piratin' to do!"

Profile Quote
Meneltarma
Post subject:
Posted: Sat 25 Feb , 2006 7:26 am
Fading Softly

I just finished Stroud's Bartimaeus trilogy. Really good. :)

Profile Quote
Legolas the elf
Post subject:
Posted: Tue 16 May , 2006 1:25 am
Trudging the road of happy destiny...

What about Sarah Douglas?

I haven't seen her name once in this thread. A friend and I made a deal...I'll read Douglas if he reads Tolkien. He says Douglas is his favorite fantasy.....what's up w/ Douglas???

Profile Quote
Estel
Post subject:
Posted: Fri 02 Jun , 2006 1:39 am
Pure Kitsch Flavor

I've seen her books in the book store, but I've gotta admit, the cover throughs me off. It has that cheap fantasy look of books I read in junior high.

Maybe now that you've talked about it Lego, I'll check it out :)

Profile Quote
yovargas
Post subject:
Posted: Sun 11 Jun , 2006 10:26 pm

I just finished The Crucible trilogy by Sarah Douglas. It starts of horribly. The first half of the first book is barely bareable. But then it starts to pick up and it takes off like a rocket. By the end of the second book I was thinking it was the most fun I've had reading in a long, long time. A total blast. And then she fails to live up to promise with a blandish, unsatisfying wrapup in the third book. Overall, it was worth it, and the blend of richly detailed and researched alternate history with fantasy and mithology was unique and fun.
Quote:
I've seen her books in the book store, but I've gotta admit, the cover throughs me off. It has that cheap fantasy look of books I read in junior high.
I adore the cover to the trilogy's first book!

[ img ]

Profile Quote
Display: Sort by: Direction:
Post Reply   Page 7 of 7  [ 127 posts ]
Return to “Literary Rambles: There & Back Again...” | Jump to page « 13 4 5 6 7
Jump to: